Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #1

Shake reduction not on?

Hello,

I found this forum while looking for an answer to my question. I just opened a Pentax K20D I purchased via mail order and tried fiddling with it. I attached the 18-200 zoom and turned on the shake reduction. It made the expected noise and definitely helped in the 200 mm mode as I pointed it at the window.

I tried it again just now inside and out with various zoom settings and do not hear that it's on nor see any difference when I turn it to on.

Am I missing something? Had I not heard it the 1st time I would not have known what I'm missing.

Thanks!

Tom

08-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Iowa Tom Quote
Hello,

I found this forum while looking for an answer to my question. I just opened a Pentax K20D I purchased via mail order and tried fiddling with it. I attached the 18-200 zoom and turned on the shake reduction. It made the expected noise and definitely helped in the 200 mm mode as I pointed it at the window.

I tried it again just now inside and out with various zoom settings and do not hear that it's on nor see any difference when I turn it to on.

Am I missing something? Had I not heard it the 1st time I would not have known what I'm missing.

Thanks!

Tom
What noise are you talking about ? I don't hear anything when I use SR. I also don't see any difference with or without it on my K200D.
08-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
yeah I've never heard a noise from my SR either.
08-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The noise on start up is the sensor shake cleaning system. The shake reduction is generally inaudible. If you look in your viewfinder you will see a hand light up when the SR is working and up to speed. You need to hold the shutter release at the half way mark to enable it, and then after a brief pause it will display.

08-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
On page 15 in the manual I read "The camera may generate some operating noise when it is shaken, such as when changing the composition of a picture." I did hear an obvious noise when I first turned on the shake reduction and looked through a telephoto lens. I assumed that was the noise they mentioned in the manual.

I thought I had the autofocus turned off but maybe that was the sound I heard. I just read on the Net that the shake reduction is smooth and instantaneous. [I see in the last post that an answer came in while I was typing this reply.]

I also remember seeing a noticeable difference in the viewfinder image when I had the SR on vs. off when using the 200 mm fl on my lens. It was like what I've seen when using image stabilized binoculars. There seemed to be a little lag between the time I moved the camera and when the image moved.

Does anyone else see the difference in the view finder between SR on vs off? I just want to make sure everything is working.

Tom
08-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I use a K10D but think the 2 are the same... the viewfinder is optical and does not have shake reduction applied to the view you see. If you have "live view" on and are looking at the LCD then there maybe a delay, but not through the viewfinder. As mentioned above, half press the shutter and wait for the icon to show to indicate 'shake' is active before pressing the shutter button all the way to take the pic.
08-11-2008, 06:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, if you're seeing a stabilized viewfinder @200mm, something is wrong. You sure you didn't buy a Canon 20D with a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS?

Take a bunch of shots @200mm and 1/50s with and without SR. The SR shots should be non-blurry, the non-SR shots should be blurry.
08-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
I will experiment with it. I have been assuming a lot and probably imagined half of what I've seen so far.

08-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #9

i'm pretty sure the SR on the k20d makes noise, but it's hard to hear, i can only hear it when i'm indoors and theres no other noises

turn on SR and take a 1 second exposure with SR on and off and you should be able to tell a big difference
08-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #10

Original Poster
I accidentally discovered what I did to make that weird lag time preview view. It's the "live view". When I turned the ring around the shutter release button as far as it would go I got the live view and didn't know it.