Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2017, 05:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Jump camera

Where is my jump from the K30? I am considering an upgrade to my K30 for an upcoming cruise to Alaska. Considering a K3ii at the current price with a bonus grip but Norm has me wondering about the ISO performance. KP could also be an option but battery and buffer is not much better than K30. IQ would be an upgrade with the KP.
Wildlife and aviation are my main subjects along with basic family photos. I'm just waffling on which would suit my needs better.
Suggestions appreciated!

03-31-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
Where is my jump from the K30? I am considering an upgrade to my K30 for an upcoming cruise to Alaska. Considering a K3ii at the current price with a bonus grip but Norm has me wondering about the ISO performance. KP could also be an option but battery and buffer is not much better than K30. IQ would be an upgrade with the KP.
Wildlife and aviation are my main subjects along with basic family photos. I'm just waffling on which would suit my needs better.
Suggestions appreciated!
It is my understanding that the next move up would be either the K-5 or k-5II. I have been entertaining the possibility of shooting straight up and going for the k-1. Wonderful Pentax camera that is highly rated by both serious amateurs and professionals alike. Hope this helps.

Tony
03-31-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The K-3II is a mighty fine camera. Supposedly there is a replacement for the K-3II coming around the end of summer or so. Don't know if that will throw a wrench into your plans.

As far as IQ goes, the KP & K-70 are supreme kings out of the APS-C lineup, but they don't have the build & features of the K-3/3II cameras.

Your K-30 can still take a lot of marvelous pictures. Some good glass will get you nicer pictures.
03-31-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3II would be the logical 'jump' at this point if you want to move to prosumer line. The KP would be the logical choice if you want to stay with the consumer line. Note that Ricoh blends things so much that defining 'lines' in their catalog is difficult. I go by the battery. If it is the LI90 that is prosumer or pro line and LI109 is consumer line.

At this point the K-3II is ahead with features and build quality. But the K-70 and KP are newer and updated. If you are happy with the features of the k-30 I'd go KP.

03-31-2017, 06:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
The K-3II is a mighty fine camera. Supposedly there is a replacement for the K-3II coming around the end of summer or so. Don't know if that will throw a wrench into your plans.

As far as IQ goes, the KP & K-70 are supreme kings out of the APS-C lineup, but they don't have the build & features of the K-3/3II cameras.

Your K-30 can still take a lot of marvelous pictures. Some good glass will get you nicer pictures.
My K30 has been a great friend! I would like an upgrade in auto focus and metering. It tends to underexposed in some situations. I'm not unhappy with the camera but need to upgrade. I have been shooting aerial photos for my company lately and I concerned about reliability. Basically I am the "unofficial " photographer for my airport.
03-31-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3, K-S2, K-70, KP, and K-1 are all upgrades to different degrees. The K-50 is nearly identical and The K-5 would offer a few differences, mostly in flagship features over midrange features. It would be a hard choice between the K-3ii, K-70, and KP, to me each has compelling features that the other two don't. I know that I would like to have the GPS since I do a lot of Nature and landscape photos, but I will weigh everything when the time comes, unless a spectacular deal comes along. Compare those and see what means the most to you. And if you can afford it get the K-1.
03-31-2017, 06:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
K-3II would be the logical 'jump' at this point if you want to move to prosumer line. The KP would be the logical choice if you want to stay with the consumer line. Note that Ricoh blends things so much that defining 'lines' in their catalog is difficult. I go by the battery. If it is the LI90 that is prosumer or pro line and LI109 is consumer line.

At this point the K-3II is ahead with features and build quality. But the K-70 and KP are newer and updated. If you are happy with the features of the k-30 I'd go KP.
You are correct the lines and levels are blurred. Focus performance is my only concern shooting aircraft. I have access to all areas on the airport for a great opportunity to photograph aircraft. Thanks for the info.

---------- Post added 03-31-17 at 09:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
K-3, K-S2, K-70, KP, and K-1 are all upgrades to different degrees. The K-50 is nearly identical and The K-5 would offer a few differences, mostly in flagship features over midrange features. It would be a hard choice between the K-3ii, K-70, and KP, to me each has compelling features that the other two don't. I know that I would like to have the GPS since I do a lot of Nature and landscape photos, but I will weigh everything when the time comes, unless a spectacular deal comes along. Compare those and see what means the most to you. And if you can afford it get the K-1.
I think for now that I will stay with the crop sensor. I like the compact size to carry around at work in a small bag or holster.

04-01-2017, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #8
Closed Account

Are you able to rent a K-3 II for your trip to Alaska Jeff and worry about " owning " a replacement to your K-30 until after then? The replacement flagship APS-C should be a beauty if it follows the trend of other Pentax flagships. Enjoy your trip, and post some Alaska pix !!
04-01-2017, 06:02 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Are you able to rent a K-3 II for your trip to Alaska Jeff and worry about " owning " a replacement to your K-30 until after then? The replacement flagship APS-C should be a beauty if it follows the trend of other Pentax flagships. Enjoy your trip, and post some Alaska pix !!
I have a few months to decide but would like to get familiar with a new camera before the trip. I'll be sure to post some pix.
04-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP and K-70 are about the same weight, and not much different from your K-30. Good for carrying, about 1/4 pound less than a K-3 II. I don't see trying to categorize as far as "consumer" "prosumer" etc. but the KP would be an upgrade in class. It has magnesium alloy construction and a very different control feature set, which does not include amateur-oriented control options like "scene" modes. So if you rely on those or like using them, the K-70 is your best option. The K-3, K-5 series do not have those either. The KP is the result of a design goal for a compact APS-C, relatively lightweight model, which is expandable to a larger platform to go with larger lenses by the use of different grips, including an optional battery grip, that would provide image quality very close to that of a full-frame DSLR like the K-1. The control set runs very much in parallel with the K-1, and would be a logical companion for K-1 owners, advanced enthusiasts and pros wanting a more portable APS-C alternative, where APS-C is especially advantageous or practical.

Pro/semi-pro/advanced enthusiast/ models have more on-body controls and usually have a top LCD panel. The forthcoming K-3 II replacement will probably be again of this design. But it will also probably be a weightier body like the K-3. Whether it will have a built-in flash remains to be seen. The KP is likewise of very robust build. The recent dpreview test review gave it a very high rating for build quality. Like other models in the advanced class (K-5, K-5 II(s) K-3, etc.) it has more on-body controls than amateur-oriented models, but they are different. Some on-body controls have had to make way for a new set of on on-body controls of a different concept. Dpreview called this control concept "brilliant". Whether each of us will prefer it to the traditional advanced layout, is a matter of individual preference.

Coming from a K-30 and wanting a meaningful upgrade, and still wanting maximum portability, yet with maximum image quality, It's hard to ignore the excellence of the KP. You will want some really good lenses to go with it. Whichever you decide, to obtain best results for high-quality JPEGs, I have found it important to employ "Fine" sharpening in the custom image setting, and in some categories bump up the sharpening level one notch as well.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-01-2017 at 02:45 PM.
04-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #11

Original Poster
Great summary. I'm just a little hesitant to purchase a new model early . The KP has the latest and greatest features but it hasn't got a proven track record yet.
04-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Jump camera
I clicked on this thread expecting totally something else...

Along the lines of... recommendations for something Pentax to leap out of perfectly good aircraft with.
04-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lenses you list are good ones, which is important in realizing imaging potential. When you already have a model capable of producing very good imaging, an upgrade is a more subtle thing in terms of resolution. But I think you will find noticeable advancement, not only from the increase in MPs, but in the absence of the AA filter. I noticed such improvement just in going between my original K-5, which has very good imaging indeed, and my K-5 IIs which eliminated the filter and also offered improved AF.

If you do quite a bit of low-light shooting, the KP and the K-70 will show superiority over your already good K-30. The slight softening effects of the AA filter will be gone, and in the case of the KP a more advanced metering system, as well as AF system, will provide yet more upgrade. I also usually wait to purchase a new model I have my eye on. The main reason being for the price to come down. In fact, I sometimes wait until that model runs its course, then see what the next will bring. I've gotten some great deals that way. The best example was when the K-7 came out. Tests revealed its resolution to be no better than the previous K-20D, and its low-light/high ISO actually being slightly worse! So I passed on the K-7 and instead bought a leftover new K-20D for $650, half its introductory price, with a free 5-year Pentax warranty! That model and the little K-r (even better for lower noise with preservation of detail) served me well for a number of years.

I next waited until the K-5 was well into its run, and as soon as there was a price reduction I went for it, since it got such great test reviews. I wound up with both the K-5 with the AA filter, and the K-5 IIs without the filter for about the same price as the original K-5 price. This was after the K-3 emerged, and I passed on it, again noting tests indicating the K-5 IIs performance for higher ISO remained better, and dynamic range as well. Now the K-70, and especially the KP have pulled ahead and represent substantial advancement. I suspect the KP's price will come down after some months- maybe, but I may not wait that long. Spring vacation time is coming up, and saving a couple hundred dollars may not be worth not having one. The KP is very intriguing. There have been a number of people here on this forum who have already acquired one. So far, I've not seen any negative reports here, and some very persuasive test reviews have come out. The Imaging Resource review should emerge soon.

I replaced my K-r some months ago, after the price of the nice little K-S2 came down, which remains the same. My plan now, since the KP's arrival, is to have one of each style, extra-compact/lightweight, mid-level pro/compact, and pro-traditional design (K-5 IIs). They will have the 3 different control layouts, and address different needs under different situations from casual gatherings of family and friends, to a lot of trekking with high-quality photography, to some action situations where the traditional pro control layout could offer best performance, but with the KP this is open to question.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-02-2017 at 10:11 AM.
04-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Suggestions appreciated!
If I had the needed funds {money is tight in our family right now} I'd be buying a KP to replace my K-30; if I had a little less, I'd be buying a K-70.
04-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I clicked on this thread expecting totally something else...

Along the lines of... recommendations for something Pentax to leap out of perfectly good aircraft with.
I prefer to stay buckled in the helicopter! 😀