Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote

What is your favorite niche of photography? What do you think the K3ii excels at ?
Have a look at my Flickr stream. I do a lot of field macro, handheld. K3II has GPS built-in so I can easily use the ring flash, which I added last year. The lack of AA filter means better resolution, and shooting ISO 100 now gives plenty of room to adjust exposure. Since I'm shooting fairly fixed, a little tweaking is usually but not always required. With a true TTL ring flash maybe I wouldn't - but those are pretty expensive. The 24MP sensor gives a bit more crop capacity than the 16MP in the K5 series, though the K5IIs would be excellent. Focus seems quicker to me with the K3II, but I have a hard time separating technique from technology with that kind of observation. I'm simply getting better at field macro the more I do it, my keeper rate is FAR better than it was two or three years ago.

I use GPS to geotag images so I can use them for science - documenting time and place of the image. The OGPS works great (and drains less battery) but precludes easy flash use.

Beyond that, shots while walking around. Trying to get pictures of the warblers as they migrate through our river valley is a challenge, darn birds like to stay in the treetops eating bugs... Along the river there's plenty of wildlife. My skills are probably better than the lenses I have now and I am thinking about the DA300. Most of the Pentax cameras would likely do as well in this realm. Lack of AA filter is also appreciated for wildlife shots, as is weather sealing.

04-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Have a look at my Flickr stream. I do a lot of field macro, handheld. K3II has GPS built-in so I can easily use the ring flash, which I added last year. The lack of AA filter means better resolution, and shooting ISO 100 now gives plenty of room to adjust exposure. Since I'm shooting fairly fixed, a little tweaking is usually but not always required. With a true TTL ring flash maybe I wouldn't - but those are pretty expensive. The 24MP sensor gives a bit more crop capacity than the 16MP in the K5 series, though the K5IIs would be excellent. Focus seems quicker to me with the K3II, but I have a hard time separating technique from technology with that kind of observation. I'm simply getting better at field macro the more I do it, my keeper rate is FAR better than it was two or three years ago.

I use GPS to geotag images so I can use them for science - documenting time and place of the image. The OGPS works great (and drains less battery) but precludes easy flash use.

Beyond that, shots while walking around. Trying to get pictures of the warblers as they migrate through our river valley is a challenge, darn birds like to stay in the treetops eating bugs... Along the river there's plenty of wildlife. My skills are probably better than the lenses I have now and I am thinking about the DA300. Most of the Pentax cameras would likely do as well in this realm. Lack of AA filter is also appreciated for wildlife shots, as is weather sealing.
Practice makes Perfect! If I only had more time. Thanks for your honest assesment.

---------- Post added 04-05-17 at 07:18 PM ----------

Aslyfox sent you a pm so the thread stays on track.
04-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #33

Original Poster
I jumped ! K3ii with accessories . One question , the dust removal setting doesn't exhibit the shaking like my K30. I know it is a different system but is that normal ? I do notice some more noise on the few pictures I have taken but I will give it a workout this weekend . Thanks to all for the suggestions !
04-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
One question , the dust removal setting doesn't exhibit the shaking like my K30. I know it is a different system but is that normal ?
Yes it is normal, assuming you have it turned on. Some people say they can hear it operate, I cannot with my hearing. But there is no shaking as in the older system.

04-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yes it is normal, assuming you have it turned on. Some people say they can hear it operate, I cannot with my hearing. But there is no shaking as in the older system.
Thanks. I did find another thread on the subject. I should of searched first.