Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2008, 06:49 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Strange lines in photos?

Hey everyone,

I was shooting some photos at my local air show the other day and upon getting the photos home and off of the card, I noticed some little lines which grew more and more prevalent in the later photos during the set, but proved to be highly annoying and downright destructive to my image quality. I don't quite know what they are, so I thought that you guys might be able to help. They just showed up, and the only difference I've made to my camera thus far has been the addition of a new 8gb SDHC card. I'm guessing this might be the problem, but does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem might be exactly? I've enclosed a photo for proof.

Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
08-11-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Does the problem occur when you use the other SD card?
08-11-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Have you tried shooting with another SD card? If the same problem shows up, then it's probably a problem with the camera. If the lines are gone, then the problem lies with the SD card.
08-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It looks like a card incompatiblity issue to me. Try upgrade to the latest firmware and then format the card by the camera (after the firmware update) to see if it can cure the problem.

08-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

No doubt a card problem. Happens with my 8 GB sometimes.

I HATE THAT!
08-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #6

Can you please tell us what brand of 8GB card you are using?
Did you notice the lines after you took the shoots on the camera monitor? Did they look fine after taking it and they just popped up on the computer?
Just kind of scares me because I do wedding and senior protraits and would die if that happened to me. I want to make sure I'm not using the same brand.
08-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a card write problem. I'm finding that the new cameras don't work well with slower cards. Is you card a class 4 by chance?

08-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
dbh
Inactive Account

I have seen corruption similar to that, but it was always read problem in my case.
Cured by using a different USB card reader.
Is the line(s) on the images visible in the camera display, too? If you copy the card over again, do the images still look the same?

There is one more thing to check - the little write-protect switch on the SD card itself. If it is loose, or partially switched on it could cause grief.
--
dbh - good luck...
08-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #9

Original Poster
Right, sorry for the lack of information in the post, it was a bit early and I was just too irked to think of all the info. Basically, I was shooting a K100D (Firmware 1.02) with a Generic store brand 8gb card (just get the cheap one they said... get a better one with your K20D they said... *grumbles*) and I was shooting all day in RAW. I got about 100 or so shots into the card when it started happening it seems, and that's around the same time that I started shooting bursts of 2 or 3 shots, could it have something to do with the slow, cheap card not keeping up with my camera's buffer? I'm going to try some more shots today, both burst and non-burst with both my cards, and see if either of them show up.

Also, for the other questions: The card was Class 6, The images showed up without lines on my camera's LCD, but a few came up as "Camera is unable to show this image" all of the lines appeared after I transferred them off the camera (through the USB cable) to the computer and into the photo browser.

Thanks!
08-17-2008, 04:50 AM   #10

Hello,

I have read in some post that the K100D can use SDHC cards up to 4GB, if you use higher capacity cards you can have problems if you exceed this capacity
08-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fontku Quote
Hello,

I have read in some post that the K100D can use SDHC cards up to 4GB, if you use higher capacity cards you can have problems if you exceed this capacity
You can go above 4GB if you upgrade the firmware to 1.02, and the OP is listing 1.02. I don't know "how much higher" you can go regarding SDHC cards, as OP is discussing 8GB card. I have the K100D and got an error message trying to use a new 4GB card, and then found out I had to update. I haven't tried anything larger than the 4GB.