Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

First impressions on K20D

So I finally got one.
Doing mostly concert phootography those days, I thought that I would gain in speed and ISO with the K20D.
High ISO are good indeed.
But, maybe it's me, but auto focussing with the K20D-50-135mm couple in low light is a nightmare!
Slow, lowsy, not accurate, it really got on my nerves.
I know that there is an AF settings function on the K20D and that it can be calibrated with many lenses, still.
I am stunned by the results produced but the star 28-70mm on my K10D.
MAybe I should just get a 80-200mm or 70-200mm. I doubt it will be better with the new 200mm f:2,8.
Any thoughts?

PS: "go for a D300 and a 80-200mm" is no acceptable answer, yet.

08-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Normal, there is no surprise here!

QuoteOriginally posted by Substitute Quote
But, maybe it's me, but auto focussing with the K20D-50-135mm couple in low light is a nightmare!
AF of Pentax DSLRs at just dimmer light environment, e.g., tungsten indoor, will get many of the new users "impressive" - Impressively sloooow!

There is of no real surprise here, every Pentax DSLR I have used are all just like that, the K20D is of no exception.

Well, my $180 MZ-30 film Pentax AFSLR, which was designed in 1999, could do it much better. So?

QuoteQuote:
I know that there is an AF settings function on the K20D and that it can be calibrated with many lenses, still.
This fune-tuning option has nothing to do with the slow AF you have seen.
08-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
This fune-tuning option has nothing to do with the slow AF you have seen.
There is an option in the K20D's custom menu that disables the double-checking of AF accuracy.
08-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Check this out.

_IGP5368

_IGP5312

Cheers,

Rene

08-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Substitute Quote
So I finally got one.
Doing mostly concert phootography those days, I thought that I would gain in speed and ISO with the K20D.
High ISO are good indeed.
I am stunned by the results produced but the star 28-70mm on my K10D.
MAybe I should just get a 80-200mm or 70-200mm. I doubt it will be better with the new 200mm f:2,8.
Any thoughts?

PS: "go for a D300 and a 80-200mm" is no acceptable answer, yet.
have you used a D300 at a concert with an 80-200 lens?

if all else fails, learn to MF and trust your eyes, unless you move around ALOT during a concert, it should not take you long to figure out where to set your focus ring to get it right

worst case scenario, take multiple shots really quickly while twisting the focus ring slightly, 1 out of 4 aint bad, worked for me.
08-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
There is an option in the K20D's custom menu that disables the double-checking of AF accuracy.
What is this option called?
--
dbh
08-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
What is this option called?
--
dbh

'fraid someone with a K20D will have to tell you. I am but a mere K100D user.
08-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

'fraid someone with a K20D will have to tell you. I am but a mere K100D user.
There is no such option, although i'd love to be proven wrong, would be interesting to try it.

08-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
There is no such option, although i'd love to be proven wrong, would be interesting to try it.

There was talk of such an option when some forum members were under an NDA. Obviously those under NDA were the ones who talked about it.
08-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Either way, the more i use it, the more obvious it is that i do not have FF or BF issues, but more RF, Random focus, i can use yvon's charts and have focus dead on after adjusting it in the K20D, but the next day focusing at a different distance than what the chart was i can see focus plane is in front of or behind the subject, tripod is no help.
The optical quality of the system is actually what makes things more trouble some, since the correct plane of focus is so easy to spot.
I finally reread the AF adjustment page of the K20D manual and it says if Apply All and Apply One are both set, it will use Apply All. (Read the second bullet in the gray box at the bottom on page 106)
So i have not been adjusting my AF compensation in a while and still saw varying results (I was afraid i adjust it too often and it's a self induced problem, when i now know it is not me for sure)
If i can not reach a point where i am happy with the amount of "hits" i may ask Pentax to calibrate the 2 AF lenses and the body all together since there is no custom fucntion to fix "RF"

"I can see how you get this impression from your K20D" would be the short reply.
08-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

There was talk of such an option when some forum members were under an NDA. Obviously those under NDA were the ones who talked about it.
If it's the same stuff I read about I think some people were speculating that the 'Catch in focus' feature would do just that -- however it turns out it's for snapping the shutter when something comes into focus when in MF mode.
08-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well thank you all for your inputs.
Thing is I perfectly know how to MF, this is not the point. I am using an AF lens, should I want to MF I'd go back to my M6 and it's 90mm or 135mm. Thing is, electro concerts tend to rock, people tend to bounce around, rap concerts are pretty fun in this respect too..
I know that a D300 is a very good performer ( and I hate CAnon lenses). An 80-200mm AF can be found at amazingly low prices compared to the now collector Pentax 80-200mm. I may keep a Pentax set up to use the 28-70mm star and the 77mm limited.That's the thought of the day!:ugh:
08-14-2008, 01:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've found that with my k100d I can have substantial improvements in autofocus if I use the "ok" button for focusing and choose a high contrast point for focusing.