Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2017, 09:53 PM   #16

Surprised a lens of that size/focal length would be allowed. I've tried bringing a camera into two different stadiums here in Vancouver, for a hockey game and a soccer game. For these places at least, restrictions are set by the stadium and not the sports leagues. I would assume something similar for baseball as well.

QuoteQuote:
Rogers Arena (Hockey) - Conditions of Admittance
Non-flash, still photography is welcome at Canucks games as long as the camera lens does not exceed 75 mm. Our camera policy for all other events is subject to change; please inquire with our staff prior to entry. Please leave your audio- and video-recording devices at home; they are prohibited at all events.
QuoteQuote:
BC Place (Soccer) - Prohibited Items and Bag Inspections
...cameras measuring more than 6 inches in length with lens attached (note, camera policy may vary for specific events such as concerts – please consult the FAQ information for your event), selfie sticks, professional recording devices (video and audio)...

05-03-2017, 02:18 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cgchang Quote
Surprised a lens of that size/focal length would be allowed. I've tried bringing a camera into two different stadiums here in Vancouver, for a hockey game and a soccer game. For these places at least, restrictions are set by the stadium and not the sports leagues. I would assume something similar for baseball as well.
I set out the restrictions for 3 baseball stadiums in post # 5. - Cubs, Royals, and Cardinals

I believe you can go to the web sites for the individual teams and check for stadium info. I found the restrictions listed under "camera" in the A - Z guide. if there is sufficient time before you go to the game, you could try contacting the team for info but there is no guarantee that the gate keepers would comply with any "special" instructions you might get.

remember that due to increased security at all MLB stadium, you will be checked as you enter the stadium.

I hope this is helpful

the games we will be attending are next week, Cubs vs. Cardinals Friday Sat Sunday May 12, 13, and 14. an evening game, then mid afternoon (both games as part of the Cubs Destination tour group )and the last the early afternoon on our own. our best seats will most likely be the last game.

on the 13th, we will be doing a stadium tour and meet with a Cub player on the 25 man rooster before the game, we don't know who yet.

I will be using my K 3 and smc Pentax dal F 4-5.6 50-200mm wr ed zoom and HD Pentax -DA af rear converter 1.4 AW

on the day we do the stadium tour and meet and greet, I will add HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

I do realize that the use of the rear converter would reduce my F factor in exchange for the length but I am hoping the lights/sun will allow its use if I choose to go for the "length" Sunset is supposed to be an hour after the game starts on Friday night.

any thoughts you folks might have would be greatly appreciated.
I could bring a couple of Vivitar Series 1 zooms - 28 - 105, 70 - 210 which start at 2.8 but they are manual focus only

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-03-2017 at 02:46 AM.
05-03-2017, 05:40 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe I've been lucky with stadiums/cameras but I've gone to DC United at RFK, Orioles at Camden Yards, Rogers Center in Toronto, and recently an indoor soccer game at the Royal Farms arena in Baltimore and have received only the lightest scrutiny about the camera. I've brought the 55-300 to United and the Orioles and Toronto with no issues whatsoever. I looked for camera policy prior to the Blast indoor game and they seemed kind of vague and possibly quite restrictive, so I only brought the tiny 40XS. But at the gate I'm not sure they even noticed I had a camera. I could have stuffed three lenses in various pockets and my wife's purse and nobody would have cared at all.

I've heard some horror stories here, but I've been to 10+ professional games with zero issues.
05-03-2017, 05:53 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Maybe I've been lucky with stadiums/cameras but I've gone to DC United at RFK, Orioles at Camden Yards, Rogers Center in Toronto, and recently an indoor soccer game at the Royal Farms arena in Baltimore and have received only the lightest scrutiny about the camera. I've brought the 55-300 to United and the Orioles and Toronto with no issues whatsoever. I looked for camera policy prior to the Blast indoor game and they seemed kind of vague and possibly quite restrictive, so I only brought the tiny 40XS. But at the gate I'm not sure they even noticed I had a camera. I could have stuffed three lenses in various pockets and my wife's purse and nobody would have cared at all.

I've heard some horror stories here, but I've been to 10+ professional games with zero issues.
I too have taken DSLR and various lenses into MLB ball parks, mainly Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois and once or twice the Royals ball park in KC MO. I have had no problems but I have never taken an extremely large lens like my 150 - 450 mm pentax zoom.

the problem is that if you are stopped, what do you do? I don't drive to the ballpark and I don't think they offer secure storage.

I also make sure I bring some type of plastic bags to help protect anything I place under my seat

05-03-2017, 06:28 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I too have taken DSLR and various lenses into MLB ball parks, mainly Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois and once or twice the Royals ball park in KC MO. I have had no problems but I have never taken an extremely large lens like my 150 - 450 mm pentax zoom.

the problem is that if you are stopped, what do you do? I don't drive to the ballpark and I don't think they offer secure storage.

I also make sure I bring some type of plastic bags to help protect anything I place under my seat

If you're not driving or it would be difficult to get back to your car I'd certainly err on the side of caution. I'm going to an O's game this weekend and will probably bring the camera, but I will be driving.
05-07-2017, 04:54 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went to the O's-White Sox game last night and brought the camera in the car, but it was drizzly and damp and in the 50s and left it right there in the trunk. Just had fun with the wife and kids. Next time...
05-07-2017, 05:04 AM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I went to the O's-White Sox game last night and brought the camera in the car, but it was drizzly and damp and in the 50s and left it right there in the trunk. Just had fun with the wife and kids. Next time...
Congratulations

you remembered the first rule when planning a photography trip

have fun

with or without the camera

good job.

still debating on what to take and when to take it to the Cubs Cardinals games starting Friday. Will have only short walk to stadium but still don't want to have anything turned away at the gate or if anyone objects in the stands.

First two games, one at night, one at mid afternoon, will be with seating down the right and left field lines with a group, with tour and meet/greet with unknown Cub Sat morning -
(Cubs Destinations - Cubs Destinations Travel Packages | MLB.com)

and the final game Sunday early pm on our own down near the dugout. By far, the Sunday game has the best seats for photography potential

wish me luck

05-07-2017, 05:14 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robr7 Quote
Related question (or is it really the question at this point) and maybe it should even get it's own thread...

Given the choice do you go with a FF 31mpx (K-1) + 70-200 and just crop for the "zoom"? Or an APS-C 24mpx (K-3) w/ >300?

Is there some sort of on-line calculator for this sort of thing?
K-3 and 300, 1.5 more reach from the lens FL, and 30% more resolution in the area of the crop from the smaller pixel size means .95 more subject resolution within the area of the crop sensor. YOu almost double your subject resolution using the K-3, if you use the crop sensor or less when you crop the image.
05-07-2017, 05:26 AM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

hey Normhead

any circumstances you can think of where you would choose a K 5 II over a K 3 for photography at the ball game

same lenses would be used in either case. one game at night, one at 3 PM and one at 1 PM

how about a Tamron 4-5.6 70 -300 macro zoom ld [1:2] af instead of the smc Pentax dal 4-5.6 50-200mm wr ed zoom

obvious difference in reach but I was wondering about your opinion as to quality of "glass"

thanks
05-07-2017, 05:47 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
hey Normhead

any circumstances you can think of where you would choose a K 5 II over a K 3 for photography at the ball game

same lenses would be used in either case. one game at night, one at 3 PM and one at 1 PM

how about a Tamron 4-5.6 70 -300 macro zoom ld [1:2] af instead of the smc Pentax dal 4-5.6 50-200mm wr ed zoom

obvious difference in reach but I was wondering about your opinion as to quality of "glass"

thanks
I can't think of any reason to use a K-5 over a K-3 for a ball game. You are going to be cropping, and the extra K-3 resolution lets you throw away more and still have a workable image. Plus if you pre-focus and shoot a burst as the player moves thorugh the depth of field, you'll have more frames with your subject in focus with the K-3. You have almost twice as much chance to get the image you want.

My experience with slow long telephotos is that they aren't as good as more expensive ones. It's pretty straight forward. I also like to use my cheaper lenses close in, I find shooting at distance they rarely produce acceptable images. My Sigma 70-300 has been barely used since I got my DA* 60-250, and when I do use it, it's for insects etc. where the macro from 7 feet away makes it possible to get images without spooking the subject. The only way to get acceptable images from a cheaper telephoto zoom is to be close to the subject. I don't think, given the nature of baseball, that pro baseball would be an acceptable use. Unless of course it's all you have. It's much better than nothing, and I have actually taken some more than acceptable baseball images with my 70-300 but from sitting almost behind 1st base. I was close enough to get sharp images, even with a not so sharp lens.

But my rule of thumb is, the further you are from the subject, the better lens you need.
05-07-2017, 05:57 AM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I can't think of any reason to use a K-5 over a K-3 for a ball game. You are going to be cropping, and the extra K-3 resolution lets you throw away more and still have a workable image. Plus if you pre-focus and shoot a burst as the player moves thorugh the depth of field, you'll have more frames with your subject in focus with the K-3. You have almost twice as much chance to get the image you want.

My experience with slow long telephotos is that they aren't as good as more expensive ones. It's pretty straight forward. I also like to use my cheaper lenses close in, I find shooting at distance they rarely produce acceptable images. My Sigma 70-300 has been barely used since I got my DA* 60-250, and when I do use it, it's for insects etc. where the macro from 7 feet away makes it possible to get images without spooking the subject. The only way to get acceptable images from a cheaper telephoto zoom is to be close to the subject. I don't think, given the nature of baseball, that pro baseball would be an acceptable use. Unless of course it's all you have. It's much better than nothing, and I have actually taken some more than acceptable baseball images with my 70-300 but from sitting almost behind 1st base. I was close enough to get sharp images, even with a not so sharp lens.

But my rule of thumb is, the further you are from the subject, the better lens you need.
thanks for the confirmation from a veteran and more talented and knowledgeable photographer

I was planning on the K 3 over the K 5 II and the Pentax over the Tamron. I will either be down the line in the outfield and well back in the crowd or behind the dugout (closer to the field in those seats). In the outfield seats, I may just concentrate on my score card.

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-07-2017 at 06:03 AM.
05-07-2017, 06:01 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shooting from the stands you will learn the limitations of your gear, that's for sure.

It's a real challenge to get good action shots at the ballgame. My advice is to try it
but don't bring your kit to every game. I once wasted an entire season trying to squeeze
some good shots out of my ordinary gear. I watched everything through the viewfinder.
Afterwards reviewing my slides I was disappointed; I could barely tell one from another.
I was using film but it can't be that different with digital now, even with the crop factor.

Professional sports photographers use costly ultra-long lenses for good reason.
Perhaps you will spot one or two as you scout the stadium for good vantage points.

Using your kit don't expect frame-filling shots isolating individual players on the field.
Better yet look for environmental portraits of fans enjoying the game experience.
And make sure you enjoy being there as well. Good luck.

Chris
05-07-2017, 06:02 AM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

and think about doing a score card

take a look at this web site if anyone enjoys keeping their own score card:

The Baseball Scorecard
05-07-2017, 06:09 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Learned to keep score from announcer Ernie Harwell who did the Detroit Tiger's games on the radio when I was a kid. I could see the lights of Tiger Stadium looking out my bedroom window (in Windsor Ontario) from across the river in the Detroit. If the lights were on, Ernie was broadcasting.

He'd say " Cash grounds out to shortstop, that's 5-3 if you're scoring at home." It wasn't long before I was scoring at home. No one says that anymore.
05-07-2017, 06:30 AM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Learned to keep score from announcer Ernie Harwell who did the Detroit Tiger's games on the radio when I was a kid. I could see the lights of Tiger Stadium looking out my bedroom window (in Windsor Ontario) from across the river in the Detroit. If the lights were on, Ernie was broadcasting.

He'd say " Cash grounds out to shortstop, that's 5-3 if you're scoring at home." It wasn't long before I was scoring at home. No one says that anymore.
once in a great while some announcers do

the Cubs TV announcers for one

do you know "DNS" as a scoring notation??

the story goes a radio announcer had written that on several score cards when asked he said -

" Did Not Seen "

BTW isn't short to first 6 - 3 ????

I was taught 1 Pitcher, 2 catcher, 3 first, 4 second, 5 third, 6 short, 7 left, 8 center, 9 right

classic double plays: 6 - 4 - 3

[ "These are the saddest of possible words:

"Tinker to Evers to Chance."

Trio of bear cubs, and fleeter than birds,

Tinker and Evers and Chance.

Ruthlessly pricking our gonfalon bubble,

Making a Giant hit into a double—

Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble

"Tinker to Evers to Chance."

- http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/ct-tinker-cubs-story-story.html ]

or 4 - 6 -3

round the horn double play 5 - 4 - 3 (5 - 6 - 3 ???)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

who cares

and with the shifts now a days - HELP

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-07-2017 at 06:49 AM.