Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I place a folded bath towel on my front passenger seat. I make my own neckstrap, that is long enough that I can loop the top of it around the bottom of the passenger seat headrest and set the camera on the folded bath towel. I put a small plastic zip lock bag over the camera and zip it closed except for where the strap is to keep the dust/dirt in the air out if I want to. I make my neck straps with nylon web strap that fits through the plastic strap locks that came with my Pentax strap.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-08-2017 at 08:11 PM.
04-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I pack my cameras in a Domke F2 original bag. I further surround them ...in the compartments...with soft, Frank brand, general purpose foam sponges. I then seatbelt the camera bag in the backseat of my vehicle if I have a passenger or in the front seat if I'm by myself.

I don't connect the cover clips. I can pull the camera out of the back in seconds...when seconds count.

They ride on the vehicle seat...my K-1 manual talks about keeping vibrations to a minimum. Depending on the vehicle, vibrations and some ride harshness can be picked up on the vehicle floor, much less so in a seat.

I belt them in securely as otherwise...hard braking or quick emergency maneuvering...or...an accident can send them about flying in the cockpit. Think of a pinball machine and how the ball bearing moves.

Not good for either passengers or cameras.

My methods have been developed over years of experience, some of it not so good.

---------- Post added 04-08-17 at 05:25 PM ----------

I never carried expensive camera equipment on a motorcycle. Too much vibration, too much road harshness. The one instance where use of a cell phone camera is better than a DSLR....carrying on a motorcycle.
I use my old K30 for it. Around my neck under jacket it has survived few .... Enduro crashes without a scratch. I believe the body will filter out the vibrations

04-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
This is probably not what you expect, but since riding a bicycle is perfectly normal in The Netherlands, I'll answer anyway.

I've had it on a sling strap a few times when I was riding my bicycle. Of course, one of those times was one of a few times in my life I got hit by a car (who should have given way to me). The camera survived though, as did I. A few bumps and bruises, and my bike had to be repaired, but the insurance handled everything and even would have handled damage to my camera.

Nowadays I would just put the stuff I need in my Think Tank Change Up. There's less flopping around than with a sling strap.
04-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Some one needs to mention something...the first duty of any driver is to be paying attention to his or her driving, not looking for photographic opportunities, not worrying about how his/her camera equipment is being carried.

IMHO, YMMV

just saying that distracted driving can be very very dangerous

let the flaming begin
I concur wholeheartedly. There's nothing that needs photographing that badly that I need to endanger my life or those of others to get the shot. I used to almost always carry a camera with me in the car, usually in the passenger front floorboard, when I was a newspaper reporter, but even then, the camera bag was closed and zipped.

04-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Some one needs to mention something

But I won't, I won't, the he** I won't

John Wayne ~ ''The Hell I Won't!''. - YouTube

the first duty of any driver is to be paying attention to his or her driving, not looking for photographic opportunities, not worrying about how his/her camera equipment is being carried.

IMHO, YMMV

just saying that distracted driving can be very very dangerous

let the flaming begin
Indeed. A very good point. Still, sometimes I do see photographic opportunities. I just can't help it. But usually I'll just take the picture in my mind instead of with the camera.
04-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Indeed. A very good point. Still, sometimes I do see photographic opportunities. I just can't help it. But usually I'll just take the picture in my mind instead of with the camera.
temptations abound that is for sure
04-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In the back seat belted up.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 

Last edited by KiloHotelphoto; 04-09-2017 at 05:44 PM.
04-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
What about motorbikes?
Pfff leave it at home! you are on a bike :P

I used to carry my Q, around the neck under my leathers inside the chest pocket.

Perfect.

04-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I put the gear (camera, lenses, belt and pouches, binoculars) I need for the day in a plastic box meant for supermarket shopping, lined on the bottom with foam padding, that fits neatly behind the driver's seat. I put the camera (set up with telephoto lens) and binoculars near the top so that I can reach behind for them in a pinch if I stop for something. They're safe if I stop suddenly. Once I reach back roads with no traffic where I'm in slow driving mode and looking for something to photograph, I'll wear the binocs and if I don't have a passenger I'll put the camera on the passenger seat.
04-11-2017, 07:55 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . let the flaming begin
Ok, I'm a big boy I will admit when I am wrong

there has been NO flames in response to my post, ZERO - - NADA - - NOTHING

I really like the posters at this forum, you should all give yourself a big pat on the back

I give you all a big thumbs - up
04-11-2017, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

She who must be obeyed usually travels in the passenger seat. When driving on the highway at speed the camera is my bag behind the seat. When on slow off roads or in game parks I will keep the camera on my lap with her holding the other lens in case I need a quick change.
04-13-2017, 01:46 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I'm disappointed no one has admitted to tapping it to the roof with gaffer tape.
04-13-2017, 01:52 AM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
I'm disappointed no one has admitted to tapping it to the roof with gaffer tape.

no room, the roof is reserved for the kids

bad on gas mileage because it cuts down on the aerodynamics of the vehicle but it does make the car quieter

---------- Post added 04-13-17 at 03:54 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
She who must be obeyed usually travels in the passenger seat. When driving on the highway at speed the camera is my bag behind the seat. When on slow off roads or in game parks I will keep the camera on my lap with her holding the other lens in case I need a quick change.
fan of "Rumple of the Bailey" I presume [books and television series ]

Rumpole of the Bailey (TV Series 1978?1992) - IMDb

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-13-2017 at 03:27 AM.
04-13-2017, 01:55 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I really want quick access, I put it on the passenger seat with the Peak Design shoulder sling around the back rest. With the sling adjusted to the right length it barely moves, and I can use the quick release buttons when I want a shot.

Normally the whole bag, with camera, goes in the footwell of the rear seat.
04-13-2017, 01:58 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
Why don't make her hold the wheel, so you can fully concentrate on the shooting?