Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2017, 06:36 AM   #1

How do you transport

your camera when you are driving?

If you want to have your camera accessible quickly in the event you want to pull over and photograph something; does anyone have any methods to secure the camera while making it accessible.

I set it on the front seat from time to time but that's probably not the best idea. I have a center console that I suppose I could use but it's full of "stuff" that I think I need

Thanks

04-08-2017, 06:41 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Dave, I put my camera bag on the floor in the back, behind the passenger seat. Easy to get to, and safe if I suddenly have to brake hard.
04-08-2017, 06:48 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
bench seat in my pickup, so I have small wooden crate that sits on the transmission hump, lined with an old 'Holiday Inn' towel that is big enough to cover the camera if I have to step out without the camera....
04-08-2017, 06:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've heard of a few that wear it on a neck strap ready to go, cap off and turned on.

04-08-2017, 07:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What about motorbikes?
04-08-2017, 07:07 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I've heard of a few that wear it on a neck strap ready to go, cap off and turned on.
AIRBAGS !!! Ouch.
04-08-2017, 07:41 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
What about motorbikes?
When I was riding motorcycles, I always had a Tank Bag secured on the gas tank. It held my camera, plus other things I wanted quick access to. I put an extra layer of thick foam on the bottom of the bag, to absorb any vibrations from the motorcycle. Worked very well, out of the weather, but quick to get to.

In my vehicles, both have bucket seats, I have the passenger seatbelts secured as snug as they will go, I then take the camera strap & hook it thru the seatbelt. Secure, easy to get to.

04-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Yeah if I had done that when I got into my accident in November I'm pretty sure I would have been choked or knocked out by my k-01.
04-08-2017, 08:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Yeah if I had done that when I got into my accident in November I'm pretty sure I would have been choked or knocked out by my k-01.
Not something I do, but I've seen it and heard folks on YouTube talk about it. Seems like a great way to ask for expensive dental work or stitches in your face, at a minimum.
04-08-2017, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Living in a rural area where it's not always a problem to stop along the road and take photos, I do this all the time. If it's a big lens I set it on the bucket seat beside me, if it's a smaller lens I usually have a open bag on the seat beside me and it sits in there, either way so they can't roll off with a quick stop. If someone is in the seat the camera can be sitting on the floor of the back seat where I can easily reach it, or on a towel on the console. I usually don't keep a strap on my camera while in the car because of a "close call" once. I grabbed the camera and the strap caught on the gearshift, almost ripped from my hands. I shot this from the driver's seat this morning:
04-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #11

Front passenger seat in a padded holster with no strap , the top unzipped , button on , cap off . Pull it out and fire away . If you stop short the holster will protect it . I travel around the Airfield that way all the time . Our speed is limited to 20 mph though.
04-08-2017, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

it's about all been covered but...
camera in holster hung over headrest front of passenger seat
camera in holster hung over headrest back of passenger seat
bag on backseat
bag on floor passenger side

if my wife is driving...
camera in holster hung over headrest back of driver's seat
bag on floor driver side

after all that sometimes it just rattles around and I hope I don't break it
04-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
it's about all been covered but...
camera in holster hung over headrest front of passenger seat
camera in holster hung over headrest back of passenger seat
bag on backseat
bag on floor passenger side

if my wife is driving...
camera in holster hung over headrest back of driver's seat
bag on floor driver side

after all that sometimes it just rattles around and I hope I don't break it
As long as you don't hang it over the wife's head you are all set !
04-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I pack my cameras in a Domke F2 original bag. I further surround them ...in the compartments...with soft, Frank brand, general purpose foam sponges. I then seatbelt the camera bag in the backseat of my vehicle if I have a passenger or in the front seat if I'm by myself.

I don't connect the cover clips. I can pull the camera out of the back in seconds...when seconds count.

They ride on the vehicle seat...my K-1 manual talks about keeping vibrations to a minimum. Depending on the vehicle, vibrations and some ride harshness can be picked up on the vehicle floor, much less so in a seat.

I belt them in securely as otherwise...hard braking or quick emergency maneuvering...or...an accident can send them about flying in the cockpit. Think of a pinball machine and how the ball bearing moves.

Not good for either passengers or cameras.

My methods have been developed over years of experience, some of it not so good.

---------- Post added 04-08-17 at 05:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
What about motorbikes?
I never carried expensive camera equipment on a motorcycle. Too much vibration, too much road harshness. The one instance where use of a cell phone camera is better than a DSLR....carrying on a motorcycle.
04-08-2017, 04:38 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some one needs to mention something

But I won't, I won't, the he** I won't

the first duty of any driver is to be paying attention to his or her driving, not looking for photographic opportunities, not worrying about how his/her camera equipment is being carried.

IMHO, YMMV

just saying that distracted driving can be very very dangerous

let the flaming begin