Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Flash Synch Speed?

Anyone finding that the Flash Synch speed for the K10D is more likely 1/125 than the specified 1/180??

Actually let me take a step back: what is allegedly the Flash Synch speed on the K10D? (i have the impression it is 180).

Anyhow, had a strobist meeting this sunday and found out in a VERY embarrassing way that my Pentax had to be set to 1/125 to capture the correct lighting. Really embarrassing not only because all the Canikons were at 1/250 but mostly because the camera was not even handling the speed it was supposed to!

Why would I have problems at 1/180? (bottom of the frame was dark)

Not sure if the off-camera lighting could be at faulty, but still, everybody used the same lighting setup and I was the only one forced to be at 1/125.

08-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
depends on what you're syncing...

FWIW, my fleabay triggers and nikon flashes sync fine at 1/180 w/ my K10D...if you were in the Boston area, I'd show you..
08-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What type of flash were you using? With studio flash, very often, the duration of the flash is longer than "on camera" flash, which means the second curtain starts it's stroke before the flash has terminated illuminating the scene. That leaves the bottom of the picture darker than the rest of the image. On the other hand, I would like to know why you were embarassed? As far as I know, the end result with studio flash and shutter at 1/125 will be about exactly what you'd get with the Canikon at 1/250. You can look at a different studio flash with a shorter flash duration to solve the problem if you want to, but the result will be the same at the end.
08-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
depends on what you're syncing...
I think you are asking about the flashes and receivers used: we had some Vivitar 285s, Nikon SBs and all connected via Cactus V2 Triggers.

08-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
On the other hand, I would like to know why you were embarassed?

I was embarrassed simply because I had left my K10D at "X" setting, which should be the correct speed for flash use, and I was getting a dark stripe at the bottom of the pics. At first we thought the lighting was aiming at the wrong spots, then we all found out that the guy with a "Pentax had the wrong Sync Speed". Only thing is, I had the right speed! I have no idea why the camera was not able to synchronize at 1/180.

Also, they were shooting at 1/250 using the same triggers/flashes so I am not sure the problem was the lighting.

08-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
I think you are asking about the flashes and receivers used: we had some Vivitar 285s, Nikon SBs and all connected via Cactus V2 Triggers.

I have seen that for whatever reason, the Cacti are "extra slow" when used with the K10D and K20D and do require 1/125 typically.

Especially Cacti + 285HV.

A hardwired 285HV works fine at 1/180. Don't know about other RF triggers.
08-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using Pentax 540 and Sigma 500 Super flashes, both sync fine at 1/180, whether wireless, hard wired or mounted. Sounds like the Cacti may not be reliable to trigger on sync - would forcing the K10D into M mode with a longer shutter speed like 1/100 help?
08-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have read similar experiences with other radio triggers as well. If you have a wired flash connection or Pentax Wireless, you can use the X-sync speed. For other kinds of remote triggers you should use a longer time. Metz for example recommends 1/60s if you use their Metz Wirelsss flash system.

Ben

08-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Using Pentax 540 and Sigma 500 Super flashes, both sync fine at 1/180, whether wireless, hard wired or mounted. Sounds like the Cacti may not be reliable to trigger on sync - would forcing the K10D into M mode with a longer shutter speed like 1/100 help?

I did go to M mode and had to then set it at 1/125, so yes, 1/100 should also work.

I'll try the Vivitar 285 mounted on camera @ 1/180 and also the AFG360 with the transmitters to see the results.

But if I recall correctly, the Pentax 360 did work at 1/180 on the K10D.
08-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've had the same problem with my K100D using a Cactus Trigger. I usually have to shoot at 1/125 if I am using a radio tripped flash or I'll catch the edge of the rear curtain in the frame. It's not a problem with the trigger. As you pointed out, others were shooting at much higher synch speeds with no problem. The problem is that the Pentax shutter is not only the slowest shutter in the DSLR market at 1/180, but that it's absolutely maxed out at that speed. Other manufacturers seem to have a little cushion at max synch speed before the second curtain starts to close. That cusion gives the radio signal time to cross the room and trip the strobe before the second curtain starts to close. No such cushion with Pentax. I feel your pain, it's frustrating when you are trying to get a bright ambient exposure under control and you can't even hit 1/180.