Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 80 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2017, 06:56 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Shall I keep my loyalty to Pentax?

I have a Pentax k5 for the last 5 years. I decided to go professional and to buy a full frame. I have been looking at Nikon, Canon and Pentax K1 reviews. I don't mind to learn a new system. I really like Pentax and the feel of it and everything else. But I am also taking into account the weak points of my beloved Pentax and its new full frame generation. Thinks like the autofocus problem, the 4.4 fps, weak video camera (Although I rarely use mine) are making my decision difficult. I am planning to do weddings professionally and a bit of everything else like a documentary, street, portrait, macro photography....any advice, please???

04-10-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the K1 can do weddings very nicely, AF with the newer lenses is no problem what so ever. But good luck with Canikon.
04-10-2017, 07:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I'm not so sure there is an AF problem. Pentax AF -what is going on? - PentaxForums.com
04-10-2017, 07:29 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Forum Member

I have Pentax and Nikon. I'd recommend a Nikon D750 over a Pentax K1 for weddings. The Pentax K1 is a better camera, and can give better quality than the D810 too. But the flash and AF reliability matter more and the image quality is good enough. You'll need to bring your K5 as a backup camera.

I made a mini review here -

04-10-2017, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I'm not so sure there is an AF problem. Pentax AF -what is going on? - PentaxForums.com
As much as I would like to have that thread provide some truly informative posts through a civilized discussion of camera capabilities.... I think it may have gone off the rails somewhere after the second page.

Suffice to say, most folk shooting weddings, street, everything but hardcore fast action sequences on a daily basis, have found the Pentax auto-focus tracking more then capable for this type of work.(I assume this is what is being referred to by the OP as the single point AF.S is undeniably fast and accurate).

I do agree the flash system is slightly under supported when talking about camera mounted P-TTL flashes.

However, with the advent of the Acon R930 wireless triggers (I used them this weekend with good success) for P-TTL, and companies like Cactus, godox, Yongnuo etc... making very nice manual wireless transmitters you are pretty well covered for manual flash work, as well as the use of strobes should you so choose that route.

If on camera P-TTL capable flashes are your thing, you can look a acon (they have an upcoming flash) Sigma, Yongnuo, and Shanny (whoever that is) as well as the Pentax branded flashes.

Further, according to some very credible sources, Pentax is changing its focus to support/satisfy the professional who uses other systems or maybe just getting into full frame photography. What this means for you is a significant current and future developments in the full frame market.

Nikon, and Canon are good bets, but Pentax is becoming a very formidable opponent and shouldn't be discounted. Especially now.
04-10-2017, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
As much as I would like to have that thread provide some truly informative posts through a civilized discussion of camera capabilities.... I think it may have gone off the rails somewhere after the second page.

Suffice to say, most folk shooting weddings, street, everything but hardcore fast action sequences on a daily basis, have found the Pentax auto-focus tracking more then capable for this type of work.(I assume this is what is being referred to by the OP as the single point AF.S is undeniably fast and accurate).

I do agree the flash system is slightly under supported when talking about camera mounted P-TTL flashes.

However, with the advent of the Acon R930 wireless triggers (I used them this weekend with good success) for P-TTL, and companies like Cactus, godox, Yongnuo etc... making very nice manual wireless transmitters you are pretty well covered for manual flash work, as well as the use of strobes should you so choose that route.

If on camera P-TTL capable flashes are your thing, you can look a acon (they have an upcoming flash) Sigma, Yongnuo, and Shanny (whoever that is) as well as the Pentax branded flashes.

Further, according to some very credible sources, Pentax is changing its focus to support/satisfy the professional who uses other systems or maybe just getting into full frame photography. What this means for you is a significant current and future developments in the full frame market.

Nikon, and Canon are good bets, but Pentax is becoming a very formidable opponent and shouldn't be discounted. Especially now.
Yeah, I read on later and I imagine it is not long before a mod closes it. Still, I've been able to track birds in flight using my K1 and DFA 150-450. I think that's pretty good.
04-10-2017, 08:15 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Yeah, I read on later and I imagine it is not long before a mod closes it. Still, I've been able to track birds in flight using my K1 and DFA 150-450. I think that's pretty good.
Yeah I bet you're right, its not long before its closed for comments.

I have seen many prime examples of people tracking birds in flight and other very fast objects with the K-1 or other Pentax equipment.

Unless the bride/groom takes off from the alter in a dead sprint at the speed of light, or the folks being photographed in the street provide no contrast , I have a feeling the Pentax system will work just fine for the OP for the stated applications.

04-10-2017, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #8
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
My main concern would be lenses. Sure, there is a holy trinity, and some primes are coming, and there are the FA Limiteds, but it's going to take a while before Pentax rolls out lenses such as a 70-200/4. But if you are looking for f/2.8 zooms you're probably fine. And some primes are on their way too (besides the Limiteds).
04-10-2017, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
My main concern would be lenses. Sure, there is a holy trinity, and some primes are coming, and there are the FA Limiteds, but it's going to take a while before Pentax rolls out lenses such as a 70-200/4. But if you are looking for f/2.8 zooms you're probably fine. And some primes are on their way too (besides the Limiteds).
The 60-250 F4 fills the requirements nicely, even on full frame with only a slight modification as described here DA* 60-250 mod for FF - PentaxForums.com. The mod iself is pretty easy and apparently very effective.
04-10-2017, 08:37 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

I love my Pentax but the main advantage of Nikon or Canon for wedding , if you need to rent extra equipment , they are easily available at many places. Or you need a second shooter , chance they will be Nikon or Canon . Other than that Pentax is better than fine to do these job
04-10-2017, 08:54 AM - 14 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are a hobbyist, you can talk about "brand loyalty". The day you start making money from your photography 'loyalty' needs to be tossed out the window. Go with whatever system generates, for you, the most income in the easiest fashion.

If you are worrying that the AF on your camera is not sufficient to shoot a wedding may I politely suggest that you know little about shooting weddings. The gear, IMHO, is nearly irrelevant, you can easily shoot a wedding using all manual focus. The real skill requirement is the experience to plan ahead and be in the right place at the right time with the right lens on. Lighting and preparation are far more important that whatever camera you are carrying.
04-10-2017, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If you are a hobbyist, you can talk about "brand loyalty". The day you start making money from your photography 'loyalty' needs to be tossed out the window. Go with whatever system generates, for you, the most income in the easiest fashion.
This. I'd be shooting a full frame Canon if I shot for a living.
04-10-2017, 10:06 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

Ditch loyalty - you are not married to Pentax. Choose what is best for you. Based on what you write (little use of video, no mention of sports) It looks like K-1 would be an excellent camera for you, for technical reasons, not for loyalty reasons.
04-10-2017, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

If you are worrying that the AF on your camera is not sufficient to shoot a wedding may I politely suggest that you know little about shooting weddings. The gear, IMHO, is nearly irrelevant, you can easily shoot a wedding using all manual focus. The real skill requirement is the experience to plan ahead and be in the right place at the right time with the right lens on. Lighting and preparation are far more important that whatever camera you are carrying.
Many years ago I shot a few weddings. Except for one wedding where there was equipment failure behind the eyepiece (flash don't work above X sync ...) I had no problems at all. I was using a KX (film) without winder, most of the wedding shot with a K 55/1.8. For group shots, I used an inexpensive flash kit from Adorama to fill in shadows outdoors. I agree with jatrax - if you are worried about AF and weddings, don't. Except for the stress factor of taking weddings with any brand, I wouldn't hesitate to continue with my current K-3. I found most of the stress factor at weddings came from the bride's mother, anyway.
04-10-2017, 10:35 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Loyalty to a brand shouldn't limit you. If someone makes a product that's significantly better for you and likely to continue doing so, changing systems is justified.

Be forewarned that you know what's not ideal about your current gear but products you've never used will have hidden problems until you discover them; no camera is perfect. A menu layout that feels great to a reviewer might not be good for you. Buy the new camera and confirm you like it before selling off your current gear.