Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2017, 07:40 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Pentax vs Nikon - I have both, so which is better?

I've had the Pentax K1 for a while now after choosing it over the Nikon D750 and even D810, as well as other options like the Fujifilm XT2 and Sony A7R series. Which is better, and which do I use more? I've made a couple of videos - first when I had used the camera for a short while, and a second when I understood it.

04-10-2017, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by englishphotographer Quote
I've had the Pentax K1 for a while now after choosing it over the Nikon D750 and even D810, as well as other options like the Fujifilm XT2 and Sony A7R series. Which is better, and which do I use more? I've made a couple of videos - first when I had used the camera for a short while, and a second when I understood it.

Pentax K1 camera vs Nikon dSLR mini-review - YouTube

Pentax K1 vs Nikon Canon Sony Camera Comparison Updated - YouTube
Screaming at your dog added a real nice touch.
04-10-2017, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
04-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting observations. Some we know (Auto focus), not sure how the others (Flash issues) fall in. I use a nice ProMaster flash that works beautifully with both my K-1 and K-7.

Regards,

04-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Certainly sounds fair enough for one man's opinion. Image quality is your top priority? The K1 wins out over the Nikon. Need fast autofocus for speedy subject? Maybe Nikon would suit you better. I don't see any reason to argue with his personal experience.
04-10-2017, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yep, sounds on par with most folks who use both systems.

Personally, I have not had an issue with the P-TTL system, however, I have yet to use it in a wedding like situation... I do wish to point out that there are now at least three after-market brands of flashes that support P-TTL. Sigma, Yongnuo, and Shanny (New I guess) and probably more that I don't know about. Just a point of note.

Either way, the review was relatively complementary, and had good specific explanations of the photographers experiences both good and bad, as well as relevant comparisons... Truthfully not a bad review...
04-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, a fair analysis overall from the professional perspective.

When I have to get the flash shot in an event situation, I simply don't rely on preflash TTL protocols in either Pentax or previously when shooting the somewhat more-advanced Canon flash system (II). While Nikon is more advanced, you still have to worry about those tiny contacts and potential for a misfire resulting in severe overexposure. Even multi-flash shooting can be finely calibrated without resorting to preflash TTL and its added trigger delay in all systems.

While I share his perspective regarding flesh tones in the Adobe products (LR) requiring more post processing work, I'm a bit surprised that the sentiment carries over to his Capture One experience where I find the profiles to be quite good - and requiring only minor adjustment on Pentax bodies. Possibly he isn't shooting in the "Natural" setting where the directions to the raw converter get you pretty close for portrait work. This might be mostly a difference in adjustment to workflow. He is more comfortable with Nikon for portraiture, so using it more often allows quicker and easier adjustments, most likely.

04-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I enjoyed the review. I found it a very honest assessment of both camera systems. It simply boils down to flash flexibility and focus speed, as it has for a long time. In my experience it is faster to use a manual focus camera than it is to depend on Pentax autofocus in fast moving situations.

Pentax image quality has been a positive feature ever since the first digital cameras that Pentax produced, and that is obviously continued and improved with the K-1.
04-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #9

Without looking at image quality I can say that Nikon's confusing menus and poor ergonomics are the main reason I switched to Pentax years ago. For me when it comes to Nikon vs. Pentax it's a no brainer: Pentax.

obin
04-10-2017, 04:09 PM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

Pentax K1 camera vs Nikon dSLR mini-review - YouTube

Pentax K1 vs Nikon Canon Sony Camera Comparison Updated - YouTube
Thank you for those reviews. They present an honest, direct, and unfiltered opinion on these systems based on your experiences. It also echos what I've seen in other reviews between systems. Good work!
04-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had the Pentax K1 for a while now after choosing it over the Nikon D750 and even D810, as well as other options like the Fujifilm XT2 and Sony A7R series.
I wonder if you can use your different cameras to provide some feedback as to the questions raised here: Pentax AF -what is going on? - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com
04-11-2017, 12:26 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Camera review and dog training video. Who could ask for more?
04-11-2017, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

4 after-market brands (Sigma, Yongnuo, Shanny and Metz). Sigma support is with older flashes (EF 610 and 610 Super). Yongnuo and Shanny with P-TTL support came very recently. Metz supports P-TTL including their 64 AF-1 though the auto-zoom is only available up to 105mm (Metz has an auto-zoom from 24-200mm).
04-11-2017, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
and probably more that I don't know about
Priolite also offer two big (but portable) strobes that support P-TTL and HSS (MBX-500, MBX-1000), with their own Pentax compatible radio trigger too.

Re the 2nd video, I agree that D610 is better for events, in part due to the competent AF, but mainly due to the fact that it offers a usefully faster frame-rate, bigger buffer, and the 24MP images are a lot easier/quicker to process, especially when you have 1000+ images to feed into the PC after an event. However, D610 AF falls apart in low-light, since it only operates down to -1 EV (vs -3 for K-1), which has proven to be a pain for some evening events. I wish Pentax had offered a 24MP FF a few years ago ...
04-11-2017, 07:04 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Priolite also offer two big (but portable) strobes that support P-TTL and HSS (MBX-500, MBX-1000), with their own Pentax compatible radio trigger too.

Re the 2nd video, I agree that D610 is better for events, in part due to the competent AF, but mainly due to the fact that it offers a usefully faster frame-rate, bigger buffer, and the 24MP images are a lot easier/quicker to process, especially when you have 1000+ images to feed into the PC after an event. However, D610 AF falls apart in low-light, since it only operates down to -1 EV (vs -3 for K-1), which has proven to be a pain for some evening events. I wish Pentax had offered a 24MP FF a few years ago ...
To add to the list, Acon is coming up with their own flash, I believe it will be P-TTL compatible as well.