Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thinking about buying a K-S1 as a second body to go with my K-50-opinions please

That deal at Woot is pretty good, $260 for a body and lens.

I am going out West later this year for a big vacation to see the eclipse and having a second body makes a lot of sense since this is such an event.

And I am pretty confident I could recover most of my cost on the camera by reselling it later.

But I really enjoy shooting in then Program mode and using both control wheels. Plus the K-S1 doesn't have weather sealing and some other issues. (Although for the day of the eclipse WR won't matter because if it rains i am out of luck).

I really like my K-50 so I wonder if the differences would be annoying.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

04-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't have a K-50, but do have a K-S1, which I run alongside a K10, K5II and a K3II.

I bought it primarily as a light-weight, high IQ body to use with my DA primes when I don't want to carry heavier gear.

It's a great camera and I find I just adapt after a few minutes, but 'yes', it probably would be annoying if I was using it in tandem with another body, but I don't!

Buy it for it's own sake.
04-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

The KS1 will beat your K50 in IQ and is lighter, so I'd go for it at that price.
04-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen a couple of KS-1's in stores - they seem like the ideal DSLR for someone who loves to go walking around town with the DA Limited primes for company, but for whom the K-01's lack of an eyepiece viewfinder is a deal-breaker (b/c trying to use the rear screen on any DSLR can suck on bright sunny days). For this use case, the camera is better off in P or Av mode anyway and you only need one wheel. As an inexpensive backup to be sure you have a body available if the K-50 dies at the critical moment, and at the price you mention, it's probably not a bad idea - and if you find yourself getting bored with it or not needing it, you can flog it off to someone who's looking for the aforesaid compact body to merge with DA Limited primes...

04-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

A very good deal to be sure, all the more so because the bundle includes the FLU card. I'm very tempted myself.....
I just don't need another body and FLU card can be purchased separately. I keep telling myself I could resell
the camera and lens and keep the FLU card, but I already have a stack of gear to sell off.

However, if you can see legitimate need for this camera I say purchase without hesitation. It's a great deal.
04-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Just ordered one off woot "for my wife". 😄 Saw the link here- thx! Actually, I think she'll really like it, and double bonus, so will I as a backup for my k-1.
04-21-2017, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did end up buying one. I wanted the blue but they were it of that so I bought the lime. Aside being a back-up body, my wife might use it. While it definitely has higher resolution and the AA filter simulator, I think I prefer my K-50 based on features and handling. But that is not to put it down, it is a fine camera and the price was nutty. After the 10% first time customer code and shipping it was $254, which is simply an incredible price.

Thanks for encouragement.
04-21-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

It is ironic- I used a K-r for some years after getting a good deal as a 2nd lighter body backup to my K-5 IIs, even though it has no WR and just 1-dial control. I was very happy with its performance for its intended uses, and accepted its shortcomings. But last year I bought a KS2 in a great deal, as my K-r replacement, because it's about the same size, yet it has the 2-dial system, articulating screen, WR, and switchable AA filter substitute. I gave the K-r to friends. Since the K-S1 has no AA filter, you might notice better image detail but the handling and control layout of your K-50 will definitely be better.

04-22-2017, 02:51 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-s1 is a very nice and capable camera.
I have k-30 and few other Pentax DSLR's and have no problems with switching between them.
The only problem with K-s1 is the AF/MF switch , it is large and it is easy to accidentally switch it while just using camera.