Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2017, 05:18 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Compare camera dimensions side by side It's 65 grams more.

04-12-2017, 05:31 AM   #32
Veteran Member

I agree on the sling suggestion. Even compact cameras bother me with a neck strap, but I can wear my K-3 with somewhat heavy lenses with no problem using a sling strap.

I bought one of the cheap $10 sling straps from Amazon and I love it. Read reviews though. The swivel that attached the tripod mount plate to the strap can wear to the point it separates, so I use a carabiner attached to both halves as a failsafe. It doesn't swivel freely now since the carabiner limits it to about 180° rotation, but I actually prefer it that way so my lens doesn't end up sticking straight out to the side.

04-12-2017, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
That's a bit less than two tubes of Jolly Ranchers… tough decision.
04-12-2017, 05:38 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I find that it is easier for me to carry the weight by using a sling from my shoulder across the body rather than having the weight hanging just from the neck.

I also add a hand strap which helps me control the swing and I can take some or all of the weight off of my shoulder at times for a "rest".

I use the Op/Tech USA utility strap plus the Joby ultrafit hand strap with ultra plate if anyone cares
Yes across the body straps are the ones I prefer having both of these
Carry Speed Camera Strap
Black Rapid R-Sport Kameragurt Testbericht/Test - Fotonomaden.com
I also add a second connection to the camera lug as a safety backup so should the connection fail there is some added protection

04-12-2017, 05:43 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

You forgot to add a VR lens to the Nikon body.
04-12-2017, 05:52 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
VR in lens doesnt add a lot of weight. You can check the difference on Tamron's website for the 17-50 f2.8 model cause Pentax one doesnt have in lens VR and Nikon one has.

Anyways I'll try the camera strap suggestion.
My walk around kit is mostly Pentax K-500 with Tamron 17-50 f2.8 but more and more i go around with either 35mm or 50mm da primes. 15mm in some occasions.
I think i'll buy that K-S1 i didnt whan had a chance and slap 40mm f2.8 pancake on it and call it a day

by the way - anyone willing to swap his K-S1 for K-500?
04-12-2017, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

I'm quite keen on the robust build of my K-3. It's impressively compact compared to similar bodies offered by
Canon and Nikon. Would I welcome a lighter body? Sure, but NOT if that meant a compromise to build quality.
So, the $24,000 question for you, Trickortreat, is how do you propose a lighter camera without sacrificing build
quality? Your desire for a KS-1 replacement might be the answer to that, but then you're comparing a apples to
grapes.

BTW, can we assume you missed the incredibly awesome KS-1 deal at woot! just two days ago?

04-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I'm quite keen on the robust build of my K-3. It's impressively compact compared to similar bodies offered by
Canon and Nikon. Would I welcome a lighter body? Sure, but NOT if that meant a compromise to build quality.
So, the $24,000 question for you, Trickortreat, is how do you propose a lighter camera without sacrificing build
quality? Your desire for a KS-1 replacement might be the answer to that, but then you're comparing a apples to
grapes.

BTW, can we assume you missed the incredibly awesome KS-1 deal at woot! just two days ago?
I'm not proposing a K-S1 replacement with a build quality of K-3. Why do you imply that? K-3 is a hi-end aps-c model while K-S1 is an entry level one. Yep, apples and oranges indeed. But if some people like it light (as they surely do - hence the mirrorless explosion in last decade), why not offer them an opportunity to choose whats right for them? Besides, how many limited lenses are rugged and WR built? There is no reason for users of those lenses (a lot of Pentax user base) to use a WR body.

Yeah, I've missed that
04-12-2017, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
I'm not proposing a K-S1 replacement with a build quality of K-3. Why do you imply that?
No, but you did lead off with an argument that Nikon cameras are getting lighter. I think the verdict is still out on that,
(DPR says 640g with battery, IR says 720g with battery, Nikon says 640g, but doesn't specify with our without battery.
The battery weighs about 80g, so the IR weight seems very plausible. Curiously, the same discrepancy occurs with
the D7200.).

The D7500 is more comparable to the K-3 than the KS-1. If the K-3 is heavier than the D7200/D7500, (it is), I'm confident
that weight is not superfluous, (it's not). Thus my question of how to reduce the weight without sacrificing build quality,
all while keeping the same features.

You then offered a solution by suggesting Pentax offer an updated KS-1. Apples to grapes.

Sorry you missed the woot deal. I very nearly bought one, but I really have no desire for the KS-1, even at that
price. I was most keen on the FLU card, and so afterward found one on ebay for $50.

I wouldn't keep your fingers crossed for an updated KS-1. That camera was a one off, and all signs suggest Ricoh
will continue to focus on the higher end rather than the lower. If you really desire a KS-1, I'd suggest keeping your
eyes open for further deals like the one at woot.
04-12-2017, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #40

If lighter weight means sacrificing build quality, features, and/or relative low price, I think I'll stick with a few more hundred grams. Not to downplay weight, even a hundred grams feels like a lot after a couple miles, but that's the sacrifice I'm willing to make when I decide to carry my K-3. For everything else, there's the almighty Q!
04-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Again - this is not about K-3. It's about that even entry level Pentaxes are getting as heavy as high end Nikons and Pentax lacks a real entry level camera in its lineup (K-S2 is almost identical to K-70). Dunno how a lot of you guys missed the point
04-12-2017, 10:54 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Again - this is not about K-3. It's about that even entry level Pentaxes are getting as heavy as high end Nikons and Pentax lacks a real entry level camera in its lineup (K-S2 is almost identical to K-70). Dunno how a lot of you guys missed the point

speaking for myself only

I'm dumb

not as dumb as I look nor as dumb as my sisters in law think but still dumb

04-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
lol'd irl
04-12-2017, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3II, FA 100 f2.8 and Sunpak D8XR ringflash. That's heavy. I don't see a change to an entry-level Nikon with 100mm macro and ring flash being significantly lighter. I'll keep my K3II. Holding that rig one-handed while stabilizing a plant in the breeze with the other does get fatiguing.
04-12-2017, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #45

I think that's because Pentax doesn't gimp their lower-end cameras the way Nikon does. Canon and Nikon entry level DSLRs are point-and-shoots with a pentamirror. If you've ever handled one, you'll realize the light weight is a consequence of overall consumer PnS-style build quality. Pentax might have a couple tiers of cameras available, but the build quality and performance difference between them isn't that much compared to Canon or Nikon's lineup where they go from really light, basic cameras, to full-featured beasts.

With Ricoh's most recent announcement, the Pentax lineup looks like it's about to get even narrower, shifting towards the high-end of the spectrum.