Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, i know that. Pentax always had a some nice features in its entry level lineup. But had a rather light full featured camera - the K-S1. Too bad for some of us that it didn't follow that road.
Another thought - hi end DSLR spectrum is almost exclusively covered by Canon and Nikon. It will be really really hard for Pentax to contend in that arena.

04-12-2017, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just get a K-s1 then it's just 300 euro's for the body now.
04-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Just get a K-s1 then it's just 300 euro's for the body now.
I will, but it's hard to find a retailer that is shipping to Croatia
04-12-2017, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
I will, but it's hard to find a retailer that is shipping to Croatia
Here you are: Pentax K-S1 Gehäuse / Body ( ohne Objektiv ) Neuware vom Fachhändler KS1 schwarz | eBay

04-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tnx you're a champ!
04-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
K3II, FA 100 f2.8 and Sunpak D8XR ringflash. That's heavy. I don't see a change to an entry-level Nikon with 100mm macro and ring flash being significantly lighter. I'll keep my K3II. Holding that rig one-handed while stabilizing a plant in the breeze with the other does get fatiguing.
The AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm is a bulky 720g, you'd save a bit of weight with an entry level nikon over your system, but then you'd have an entry level nikon...I don't think you're looking for a change, but if it's a weight loss you wanted, swap your excellent FA100mm (600g) for the excellent and magically light DFA100mm (340g for the WR version). I one hand my dfa100mm+k5iis reasonably well (with flash on a stand or in my other hand, so less weight than you).
04-12-2017, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #52
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
" . . . I think [she's ] got it . . . " ' "My Fair Lady"

it is the combined weight of the camera body and lens and whatever else you attach to the camera body that you must consider

if you can get a light camera body but put a heavy version of the lens on it, what does it matter??

IMHO, YMMV

04-12-2017, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
The AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm is a bulky 720g, you'd save a bit of weight with an entry level nikon over your system, but then you'd have an entry level nikon...I don't think you're looking for a change, but if it's a weight loss you wanted, swap your excellent FA100mm (600g) for the excellent and magically light DFA100mm (340g for the WR version). I one hand my dfa100mm+k5iis reasonably well (with flash on a stand or in my other hand, so less weight than you).

The DFA is tempting, but the FA has its advantages, too. Plus, I already own it. In-lens VR would be pretty nice along with motorized focus. Sigma's missing a tick with their 105, they could add those components. Or even the 180mm, but they'd never release the updated one in K-mount.
04-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The DFA is tempting, but the FA has its advantages, too. Plus, I already own it. In-lens VR would be pretty nice along with motorized focus. Sigma's missing a tick with their 105, they could add those components. Or even the 180mm, but they'd never release the updated one in K-mount.
I understand inertia, especially when what you have is an excellent and trusted piece of gear. I'm often tempted by the DFA100mm WR, but I'm happy with my non-WR version - I make occasional use of it's aperture ring, I already own it, plus I'm irrationally sentimental about it.

The in lens-VR would be nice, but is it worth the added bulk and weight? Honestly, I'm not sure, but I think it's the sort of thing that happens all the time with camera equipment. The designers are faced with all sorts of choices that could go either way, and the compromise they choose won't make everyone happy. The dfa100mm has the set of compromises that make me happy, the same won't be true for every user and I'm sure plenty will sacrifice weight for VR. Same thing goes for camera bodies, features vs weight, it's unfortunately tough for any one manufacturer to make a model for everyone's taste.
04-12-2017, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

not just slap a swivel screen on K-50 as K-S2 did
The KS-2 is not a K-50 with a swivel screen.
It's 7mm narrower, 5mm shorter, and has 4 more MP.

While the K-50 is a lighter mid-range version of the K-5,
the K-S2 has more of the compact feel of the classic K-x,
but with weather resistance.

I have no problem with the extra weight from the screen and glass pentaprism,
especially when it's paired with a light and versatile lens like the DA 20-40.
Have you tried one?
04-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #56
Veteran Member

K-S1 is 558g including battery and shake reduction system.
Weather seal is just adding rubber to the camera edges and covering open sockets which I don't think it add up that much weight to the camera.

I am not familiar with Nikon at all but I think finding something lighter than 558g including battery and shake reduction system is not easy accord all brands in the same market / same class. Mirror-less body with shake reduction system might do it but we are talking about $$$$$, and I am not even sure if anyone do entry level mirrorless with shake reduction? ... somebody say K01?
Some other brand might make a lighter body but if you want a shake reduction system you have to buy a heavier and more expensive lens. at the end when you put things together, you might get the same weight in total. a bit more or less but over all not that much difference.
04-12-2017, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How many of us have a single lens in our kit? While having VR in the lens may not weight as having SR in the body, having several lenses with VR does add up. Not to mention the cost, every time you but a new Canikon lens, you're also buying another VR system.
04-12-2017, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It will be interesting to see if Ricoh even competes in the small, entry-level dSLR space after the restructuring. It sounds to me like KP, K-3lll, K-1 and 645z(Ii) will be the lineup in the future.

Glass prism, full mirror, magnesium alloy frame, metal subframe and body (maybe polycarbonate top for WiFi and GPS antennas), WR seals, metal buttons and selector dials, dual card slots, IBIS, high-power focus motor, aperture control, large battery - at a premium price, high profit margin and low volume. I don't think there is a future in small, light, low-feature dSLR's at Pentax sales volume. They not only compete with smartphone but also with low-end MILC and they'll never win a size / weight competition there. KP is the entry point (K-70 probably goes away eventually).

OTOH when you shoot with DA Limited pancakes the premium camera + lens package is quite size / weight competitive with its competitors size / weight, real-world ready to shoot, not pontificating on grams of specs-on-paper imaginary differences.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-12-2017 at 08:23 PM.
04-12-2017, 10:08 PM - 2 Likes   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

?

Look at Nikon lineup - every new model is lighter than previous...
Because they are made of plastic.
04-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The KS-2 is not a K-50 with a swivel screen.
It's 7mm narrower, 5mm shorter, and has 4 more MP.

While the K-50 is a lighter mid-range version of the K-5,
the K-S2 has more of the compact feel of the classic K-x,
but with weather resistance.

I have no problem with the extra weight from the screen and glass pentaprism,
especially when it's paired with a light and versatile lens like the DA 20-40.
Have you tried one?
It pretty much is... those dissimilarities you mentioned are really minuscule. Just as having K-S2 and K-70 on the market at the same time. They need to put some clear barriers between their product lines or they will just end up competing with its own products and users will buy whatever is cheaper.
Never used a 20-40. It is just not my cup of tea, besides, my 35mm covers those focal lengths just fine. I shoot mostly primes, only zoom i have and need is Tamron 17-50 that i use ever more rarely.

---------- Post added 04-13-17 at 07:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
K-S1 is 558g including battery and shake reduction system.
Weather seal is just adding rubber to the camera edges and covering open sockets which I don't think it add up that much weight to the camera.

I am not familiar with Nikon at all but I think finding something lighter than 558g including battery and shake reduction system is not easy accord all brands in the same market / same class. Mirror-less body with shake reduction system might do it but we are talking about $$$$$, and I am not even sure if anyone do entry level mirrorless with shake reduction? ... somebody say K01?
Some other brand might make a lighter body but if you want a shake reduction system you have to buy a heavier and more expensive lens. at the end when you put things together, you might get the same weight in total. a bit more or less but over all not that much difference.
IBIS is not as heavy as you might think. All of the Olympus and some Sony NEX and most Alpha bodies have IBIS (Olympus PEN E-PM2 is 269g and is a entry level cheap ass camera)

---------- Post added 04-13-17 at 07:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Because they are made of plastic.
Nah, those models that i mentioned have magnesium alloy chassis.

---------- Post added 04-13-17 at 07:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
OTOH when you shoot with DA Limited pancakes the premium camera + lens package is quite size / weight competitive with its competitors size / weight, real-world ready to shoot, not pontificating on grams of specs-on-paper imaginary differences.
Depends on how long you have to carry it around - my K-500 + Tamron combo gets too tiresome to lug around on long walks/expeditions. Thats why im gonna change it for K-S1+DA40mmf2.8 combo.

---------- Post added 04-13-17 at 07:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by seagas Quote
How many of us have a single lens in our kit? While having VR in the lens may not weight as having SR in the body, having several lenses with VR does add up. Not to mention the cost, every time you but a new Canikon lens, you're also buying another VR system.
On most occasions when i go out to shoot i slap just one lens, cause most of the times i know what i want to shoot. On other occasions i just take my Tammy 17-50

Last edited by Trickortreat; 04-12-2017 at 10:39 PM.