Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #1

Lenses w/o an A - how to get the shutter working

I want to use my K20D to "try" to capture some meteors tonight. I put my old Vivitar Series-1, f 1.9, 28 mm on the camera but cannot get the shutter to go off, even on manual. I find the instructions having to do with this are not user friendly because of all the insets between ( ) stuck here and there and everywhere. Very hard to make sense of it.

Please help.

Thanks!

08-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
look at your custom function one relates to the aperture ring, allow firing with it and off you go
08-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
look at your custom function one relates to the aperture ring, allow firing with it and off you go
Where do I find the custom function one?
08-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Banned

Menu button>C Custom Setting>using aperture ring>2 permitted.

08-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Iowa Tom Quote
Where do I find the custom function one?
Not "custom function one ...", but rather "custom function. One ...". That is, it isn't the first custom function, but further down the list.

You also need to know that the camera cannot read the aperture ring, so you have to shoot in M mode. Use the green button to get the camera to stop down momentarily, meter, and set an appropriate shutter speed. Or hold the DOF preview knob as long as you like, watch the meter display, and adjust the shutter speed and//or aperture.
08-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
Menu button>C Custom Setting>using aperture ring>2 permitted.
Man I had to go through all the steps to get to the one I needed. I was afraid that I had gone through them all and was starting over but it finally came up.

I got it to work. Thanks!
08-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks also I had a problem as well thanks to you and Mechanik

cheers

08-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Not "custom function one ...", but rather "custom function. One ...". That is, it isn't the first custom function, but further down the list.

You also need to know that the camera cannot read the aperture ring, so you have to shoot in M mode. Use the green button to get the camera to stop down momentarily, meter, and set an appropriate shutter speed. Or hold the DOF preview knob as long as you like, watch the meter display, and adjust the shutter speed and//or aperture.
sorry, bad punctuation on my part, it's actually quicker to get there going up in the menu i answered from my cell phone while waiting at a walgreens, but hey, i scored some Milka while there, so it was worth it!
08-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Does it have to be disabled when going back to AF lenses

cheers
08-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Does it have to be disabled when going back to AF lenses

cheers
Nope ... just leave it as permitted and all lenses work
08-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Nope ... just leave it as permitted and all lenses work
I wonder why Pentax requires you to even set it, since once it is set, it works either way.
08-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I wonder why Pentax requires you to even set it, since once it is set, it works either way.
They sell new lenses, not used ones
08-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
If you used A lens or later, it is to make sure your lens is in the Auto position so you won't accidentally take pictures with bad exposure (better for the less knowledgeable user or if you don't own any manual aperture lens).
08-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #14

I'm repeating what I said in some recent threads. For the green button to work properly with an M lens, item #26 in the custom menu, "Green button in TAv & M" must be set to #2"Tv shift". This allows the shutter to be adjusted for the proper exposure. The other setting choices don't adjust the shutter.

Also, the shutter will not release if the camera is set to AF when using a manual focus lens.
08-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
Also, the shutter will not release if the camera is set to AF when using a manual focus lens.
Unless the camera thinks the picture is actually in focus - when the confirmation light is on, you can shoot. But I'd prefer switching to MF mode anyhow - the confirmation light still comes on, but I can shoot when I want to shoot.