Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think there is much "pre-cooking" going on in the RAW files with the K-P. kh0123456789 looked at files with Raw Digger and found no evidence of that, whereas raw files from the K5 and K3 do evidence some noise suppression above iso 1600 (for K5) and iso 3200 (for K3). Pentax KP vs. D750 raws at high ISO 25600 - Pentax APSC on par with Nikon FF - PentaxForums.com

If you truly have an APS-C RAW file that has not been smoothed at all that has similar noise characteristics to a full frame RAW at this sort of iso, that is just flat out impressive. Sure, you can de-noise any or all of the images, but the ones that have the most noise at baseline are going to look worse after the process, whether that means looking overly smoothed and plastic or still more noisy.

I will say that dynamic range will probably be significantly less with APS-C files than with full frame, even if noise characteristics are the same and that is probably the main issue I see with high iso images from any camera.
There the noise removal directly from the raw, that true, but there also different way to measure isos. By itself, I don't care. While comparing, the situation is different...

Every photographer may try to make a compromize between the iso, the apperture and speed to get the best out of a difficult situation. If the same shot in same condition is said to be 6400 iso but use a slower shutter speed, than another camera showing the same isos mean that typically the camera with the slower shutter speed is a bit optimistic and will need higher iso value on the same practical scene.

Between the KP and K3 sample shot on imaging resource for example at 6400 the K3 shutter speed is 1/800s for the scene and the KP is only 1/500s. Either the light changed (and then we waste on time comparing low light performance), either the KP received more light and then it is expected it should have lower noise.

What is interresting is that since I have K3, the K3 low light performance improved noticably by updating my raw editor... So to I really wonder where the increased performance of KP sensor come from? Is it really the sensor? And then that fantatic because it seems we get as much as 1EV or it is the software and then I don't really care as I already got the upgrade with my raw editor anyway...

I guess until you compare the 2 camera on the same scene, light, apperture/lens and shutter speed + best possible post processing you'll not know for sure what the catch... At least until DxO spend time to test it... But they seems to not care much of Pentax these days.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-22-2017 at 10:31 AM.