Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2017, 01:47 AM   #1

What could be causing a discrepancy in shutter count on my K5?

I bought a K5 recently with an advertised shutter count of 2,730. The seller delivered it to me the other day and I've been getting to know it over the last few days before I get a chance to get out and really put it through its paces. I love it so far - I thought my K50 was well built but the K5 is built like a tank and it seems like a wonderful camera to use.

But I've noticed something strange. When I've taken a picture it shows a number in the 6,000's on the screen so I checked a jpeg here and the shutter count is indeed 2,735. It can't be the card because it was formatted and I haven't taken 6,000 photo's in my entire digital life. Any ideas what might be causing the discrepancy, or is the number on the screen for something else entirely?

04-21-2017, 01:58 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I bought a K5 recently with an advertised shutter count of 2,730. The seller delivered it to me the other day and I've been getting to know it over the last few days before I get a chance to get out and really put it through its paces. I love it so far - I thought my K50 was well built but the K5 is built like a tank and it seems like a wonderful camera to use.

But I've noticed something strange. When I've taken a picture it shows a number in the 6,000's on the screen so I checked a jpeg here and the shutter count is indeed 2,735. It can't be the card because it was formatted and I haven't taken 6,000 photo's in my entire digital life. Any ideas what might be causing the discrepancy, or is the number on the screen for something else entirely?
The file number is completely unrelated to the shutter count. File numbers start at 1 + the highest file in the folder, so if you use a card from another camera your file numbers may jump.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-21-2017, 02:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
Cheers Adam. It turns out my K5 was made on 13 October 2011 so with fewer than 3k clicks on the shutter it's a very low mileage unit, and it was a good price. I'm really looking forward to giving it a thorough workout.
6 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The file number is completely unrelated to the shutter count. File numbers start at 1 + the highest file in the folder, so if you use a card from another camera your file numbers may jump.
Also, in body raw conversions add to the file number, but not to the shutter count. So, if the previous owner was mostly shooting in RAW and doing batch conversion to jpg afterward, it could leads to a large discrepancy between file number and shutter count.

6 Days Ago   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
Cheers Adam. It turns out my K5 was made on 13 October 2011 so with fewer than 3k clicks on the shutter it's a very low mileage unit, and it was a good price. I'm really looking forward to giving it a thorough workout.
It's not even broken in yet Enjoy an awesome camera!