Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Mike
You might suggest your friend look at the contrast settings. When I am out in bright light shoting JPEGs with harsh shadows, I put contrast to minimum. On cloudy dats where lighting is flat, I put it to maximum.
Thanks again for all the responses. I might mention that my friend (neighbor) should really stick with a P&S camera because she dosn't understand camera's or photography. Took all the newbie courses but still struggles with concepts. She asked me what settings she should use for the wedding shoot, I said keep the ISO as low as possible and shoot on auto. Her pics turned out better than her son's who has the same camera and was trying to shoot like he knew what he was doing. And, he shot in RAW. I think todays DSLR's and P&S cameras are beyond the comprehension of most consumers ...if they had graduated from good old manual SLR's and learned the basics, then the digital technology would be easier to comprehend and assimilate.

Anyway, I am still surprised by the amount of noise in the shadow area's of her pictures that I haven't experienced in my images shot with either my K10D or Optio or Panasonic P&S cameras. Admittedly top of the line P&S models, but still small sensors... Thanks! Mike.

08-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Is it known whether the K10D CCD sensor was more expensive/'as good' as the K20D CMOS sensor?
I could not comment on that. comparisons suggest that the new sensor (and the processing ssociated to it) is better. But many, many things factor in for this assertion to be true, not just the CCD vs CMOS debate.

QuoteQuote:
You are absolutely right on that one. I misspoke there, but I beleive that the basic idea is correct. So naybe 10mgp is the magic number instead of 6mgp. It looks like Nikon,Canon and Pentax have gone to CMOS with their more expensive models.
I believe one of the reasons for CMOS at the higher-end is that a CMOS is comparatively cheaper, and that given the higheer pixels count it's much easieer to manufacture as a CMOS. What's more, processing done on the chip will probably be betterr for noise, given that the sensor noise can be processed before readout noise is added to it, separating the two processing aspects.

Sensors found in cameras are really basic when compared to what one can get when one is willing to shell out multiple thousands of dollars The technology is there, just not at the right price.
08-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I wouldn't be surprised if a better lens would have given her more pleasing results.

You've got to remember that Pentax has one of the best kit lenses in the business, whereas Canon's just gets the job done.
Even when we upgrade lenses out IQ suddenly really improves, so you can imagine the quality difference you'd see on a Canon.

I recently tried stopping a friend from buying a Rebel, with a kit lens.
Telling her to at least upgrade to Sigma 17 - 70, being a quality lens.
She never listened to me... I don't think it'll take her long for the upgrade
08-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if a better lens would have given her more pleasing results.
No doubt about that ...I shoot with DA* lenses and you can see the difference there ...but that wouldn't cause the digital noise to which I had referred.

08-13-2008, 05:31 PM   #20

EV?

I'm not sure but it sounds like she somehow set the EV higher than normal.

Owning a small Canon, I can tell you they are a real PITA to take pictures in changing conditions if you want the shot right now!

There are several ways to get the same results and you'ld think each control feature is different!
08-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
BB,
You are absolutely right on that one. I misspoke there, but I beleive that the basic idea is correct. So naybe 10mgp is the magic number instead of 6mgp. It looks like Nikon,Canon and Pentax have gone to CMOS with their more expensive models.

Dave
False assumption here.
The Sony A350 has a 14.2 megapixel CCD sensor.