Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You also need to go into the Custom Menu and set [Use Aperture Ring] to [Permitted]. Darned if I know why Pentax would ever need it to be not permitted because mine works just fine with all lenses with it set to permitted.
Yep, you hit the nail on the head. I found that somehow that item in the Custom Menu had been set incorrectly, yet over the past year I've occasionally used an old manual focus lens which requires that be set to Permitted. Sorry for the delay responding, I've been out of town a couple of days.

Incidentally, I had an opportunity to borrow a friend's Nikon D300 for a day of playing with it and learning its tricks. There are several features it has that I really wish my K10D had, the first is you can put the pop-up flash on Manual there and it does not pre-flash. I sure wish Pentax would revise their firmware to allow that on the K10D, but probably whistling in the dark. Another feature the D300 has - you can regulate the output of the flash from full power to as low as 1/120 of it.

But since this pre-flash on the K10D cannot be cut off, I am planning to get one of the two Pentax flashes for mounting on the camera. At least they will allow that to be put on Manual, with much the same features then as on the D300 Nikon itself. I've got to decide which Pentax unit, the AF360 or the AF540. The latter has more flexibility, but costs a good bit more. And I've got to determine which accessories will be needed to use either.

Anyhow, thanks for the polite and helpful advice.

Olin

08-18-2008, 12:48 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooneybird Quote
Yep, you hit the nail on the head. I found that somehow that item in the Custom Menu had been set incorrectly, yet over the past year I've occasionally used an old manual focus lens which requires that be set to Permitted. Sorry for the delay responding, I've been out of town a couple of days.

Incidentally, I had an opportunity to borrow a friend's Nikon D300 for a day of playing with it and learning its tricks. There are several features it has that I really wish my K10D had, the first is you can put the pop-up flash on Manual there and it does not pre-flash. I sure wish Pentax would revise their firmware to allow that on the K10D, but probably whistling in the dark. Another feature the D300 has - you can regulate the output of the flash from full power to as low as 1/120 of it.

But since this pre-flash on the K10D cannot be cut off, I am planning to get one of the two Pentax flashes for mounting on the camera. At least they will allow that to be put on Manual, with much the same features then as on the D300 Nikon itself. I've got to decide which Pentax unit, the AF360 or the AF540. The latter has more flexibility, but costs a good bit more. And I've got to determine which accessories will be needed to use either.

Olin
Yes the Pentax flashes are fine but if the issue is the pre-flash just use conventional auto mode with the Pentax flashes or other brands that are much less expensive. I find auto mode just as reliable and sometimes more so. AND no preflash.
08-18-2008, 03:25 AM   #33

Ho Olin, the Sigma model 530 etc. is usually cheaper that the Pentax 540 and does the same things.

Regards
08-23-2008, 10:39 AM   #34
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooneybird Quote

Olin

OK, let me update this subject and then we can put it to bed.

I called B&H to order one of the 2 Pentax flashes listed above, and while talking with the sales person, I told him some of the problems that were involved. When I mentioned my old slave flash that has a High Voltage trigger, which would damage my camera if I tried to fire it directly instead of using the camera's pop-up flash, he gave me another cheaper solution. He suggested, and I bought it, a Wein Safe-Sync device to mount on the camera's hot shoe, and it has ability to mount any old high voltage flash on it plus there is a cable connector on it to allow firing the external moved away from the camera.

After this Safe-Sync arrived, I went to a local camera store and picked up a used hot shoe flash with very little fancy features, but it works on this Safe-Sync. And when it fires, to trigger my main flash (the Slave mounted on another tripod) there is NO pre-flash nor any problem with correct exposures. Of course I set the camera settings all manually, but that suits me just fine. Total cost about $55 for the Safe-Sync + S&H and $13 for the used old hot shoe mounted flash.

I got 6 good shots of a hummingbird in the first hour of use, and the next day got 31 more shots over a 3 hour period. At least 20 good ones total. Wish I knew how to post one here, but haven't learned that trick yet.

Olin