Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2017, 02:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
To upgrade or wait, that is the question

I currently own a K5 and a KS-2. Much of my current photography has to do with birds in flight (mostly with the KS-2). I am considering an upgrade and am looking for:-

1. Better AF performance (especialy in AFC mode). It will do much duty with the DFA 150-450mm, also with the HD 1.4X teleconvertor.
2. More pixels than my KS-2.
3. Improved high ISO performance (mostly below ISO 3200)
4. A better frame rate (for birds in flight especially) and better buffer, since I will be shooting mostly in raw.

The current options appear to be the KP or the K3 II. Or I could wait for the successor to the K3 II, though details remain sketchy on that. I need the higher magnification that the crop sensors give, so the K1 would not likely fit the bill and doesn't have a particularly quick frame rate.
Does anyone have any experience with the KP and the DFA 150-450mm, especially with regards to the AF performance?
How much better is the AF in the K3 II compared to the KS-2?
Folks, your thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated, along with anything you may know or have heard about the sucessor to the K3 II in the areas mentioned.

Cheers
Andrew

04-26-2017, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recommend that you start by going to the top of the page and selecting "Cameras", Lenses", "Accessories" and "Articles" and review the info you will find there

for example under "Cameras" you will find this tool

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax KP - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

which I set up for you to compare the K 3 II, the K 3 and the KP

you can set it up to compare any Pentax camera I believe

there is a lot of helpful stuff here at the forum and you have found the best asset it has,

its members

keep asking questions. I do

I have the K 3 and K 5 II. I regularly use the K 3 with the "big guy" - HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW and I have used that set up with the HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter

I do like the results
04-26-2017, 03:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Wait, like lotsa people are doing.
04-26-2017, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

In your situation, I'd wait and see what the K-3 successor is going to be like. You are in the situation of currently having two cameras that are functioning - it's not like you're currently without a body and desperately in need of equipment.

That being said, looking at specs can only help so much, and getting input from people who've actually got the cameras you're looking at, who shoot with them regularly (in the manner you intend), and who know their ups and downs, is a very, VERY good idea.

This is the reason I waited so long to buy the K-1 - it was clear after nearly a year of waiting that everything about it matched what I wanted from it and NONE of its (very few) deficiencies mattered to the sort of shooting I like to do.

The only thing I wish it had was a lower base ISO (50 would be nice, 25 ideal), but perhaps in 10 or 15 years from now that issue will be solved (and I can justify replacing it, LOL).

04-26-2017, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wait. Probably.

I much preferred the AF performance of the K-3 over the K-S1, but preferred the sensor in the k-s1. However, having moved to the k-1, I find the AF performance of the k-3 to now be verging on terrible in comparison (the k-1 AF really does extend the extremes in which you can work with, and stepping backwards to the k-3 is just painful. The k-3 AF is much better than what you have, but I'd suggest waiting until the 33 point system arrives on apsc).

I know the pain of the 11 point AF. If you're using a bigger aperture than f2.8, it usually sucks (just switch to MF). If you're using a long lens (ie 300mm), and it isn't daylight, it's hard work. I'm going to post one image, it's the one image the k-3 or earlier bodies simply cannot create: IMGP4977-2 | Rob Bateman | Flickr

(Very low light, and those puppies move quick!)
04-26-2017, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
wait (as long as you are willing to potentially stump up $1400 for a K3ii successor)
04-26-2017, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No rush here, so I'll also be waiting to upgrade my cameras.
Hoping to get a shockingly new APS-C flagship!

04-26-2017, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd wait too. I haven't shot with a KP, so I can't speak to AF improvements, but I can say that with my K3II and the 150-450, I feel the extra FPS is a plus for birding. I'd hope the successor has the FPS, the improved high ISO performance, even better AF, etc, so I'd wait.
04-27-2017, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I'm waiting for the K-3II replacement myself. If all is going well & the secretive Pentax company is working on it, it should be here sometime late August or early September.

If they need to hold off until April or so next year to make it even leaps & bounds better than the current K-3II, I'd have no problem waiting until then either.
04-27-2017, 09:13 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Much appreciate the advice folks. And I shall duly wait for the new APS-C flagship. The KP has reportedly shown some progress on the AF front. I hope of course that the AF development path doesn't stop there. The new Pentax APS-C flagship will need to kick ass in a good number of areas and at least hold its own in AF performance. It would be nice if it could equal the impact the K1 has made on the full frame marketplace. Although I am not heavily into video, that's an area that Pentax can't afford to ignore any more and really needs to get up to speed. I worked in a newspaper until not long ago and videography skills have become an essential part of every news photographer's repertoire. The times are changing and so must Pentax. Here's hoping that they do just that.
Cheers
05-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
wait (as long as you are willing to potentially stump up $1400 for a K3ii successor)
That's the big thing. Are you willing to pony up the big price tag that will come with the latest and greatest?

This the thing. You can always wait for the next thing. You will wait forever because it's always right around the corner.

And the better question: what might be improved? Look at the K-1 vs. the K-3ii and see what new gadgets are in the K-1 (aside from the sensor) that aren't in the K-3 M2. Do you want those? Need those?
05-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andy Fern Quote
Although I am not heavily into video, that's an area that Pentax can't afford to ignore any more and really needs to get up to speed. I worked in a newspaper until not long ago and videography skills have become an essential part of every news photographer's repertoire. The times are changing and so must Pentax. Here's hoping that they do just that.Cheers
The 8K will be worth waiting for, they will probably by pass 4K because everybody has that!
05-08-2017, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Well this is an excellent question. You sure could wait for the K3II replacement when it comes/if it comes. I could still see the KP becoming the top line crop camera but I still hope a true K3II successor is coming per the reports. With what you have I can't say you have anything less than very good equipment, however if you got money to burn B&H has the K3II with battery grip for 799 which is a freaking steal!

The KP vs the K3II for auto focus speed seems to go to the KP by hair again this is hardly scientific but having both of those bodies that is what I have noticed. The K3II has a bigger buffer but slightly higher FPS too. However the ISO performance goes to the KP. 1600 on the K3II is like 6400 on the KP or there about.

In fact yesterday my dad was shooting with a K3II and a Tammy 17-50, I had the KP + recently released battery grip that I like and the 20-40 HD. Both us got some great shots you can't go wrong with either one. I think the KP with or without battery grip is a decent amount lighter than the K3II with or without battery grip at least that is how it feels in my hands.

So no matter what you buy now or if you wait you will have some good options.
05-09-2017, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andy Fern Quote
And I shall duly wait for the new APS-C flagship.
Though I see you have made the decision to wait, I was also going to chime in with another "wait" vote. The KS2 is pretty recent so I don't know how much AF improvement anything later and available now would bring. Also, would going from 20 to 24 megapixels really make that much difference? I'd assert not. So it sounds like not only are you waiting, you are also hoping that the K3II replacement will get a bump up in resolution. And, based on the KP price, get ready for a good bump up in price as well.
05-09-2017, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

I agree with the "does it really make that much difference"-angle. Photography is about the pictures, don`t overthink the equipment!