Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is the price difference of $452.05 between K70 and KP worth it?
Yes, the price difference between K70 and KP is worth it. 2442.11%
No, it is not worth it 3357.89%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K70 to KP Value?

Today, B&H Photo has a silver K70 for $646.95 and a silver KP for $1099.00. Is the difference between the two models worth $452.05? What do you all think? Vote "Yes" the price difference is worth it. Or, vote "No" the price difference is not worth it. Both models seem to be very well regarded by users.

04-27-2017, 09:55 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you already have K-70 and don't feel limited by it --> No.
If you are beginner looking for first DLSR --> No.
If you already have a Pentax system and need to upgrade for the next couple years --> Yes.
If you need one of the features the KP has, or really enjoy its aesthetic --> Yes. (Aesthetic, size, grip ergonomics can be really important when choosing camera, I always recommend you go to a store and hold both in your hands to see which you fall in love with)

But honestly, since the K-S1 all the Pentax DSLRs are really great. They look good, they have lots of features, great viewfinder, buttons and ergonomics,..

Pentax K-S2 vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax KP - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-27-2017 at 10:05 AM.
04-27-2017, 10:13 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KP is an evolution in features. K-70 is a mini-traditional DSLR.

K-70 wins on buffer, GN for OBF, it is smaller - and Price.

KP wins on many features, including SMART Dial, Battery Grip, enhanced Green Mode, Program Modes, AF Sensor and Processor, metering sensor, Image Processor, and SR.

And KP is distinctive for those who care how a camera looks.

Whether that is all worth $450 is a decision, not an easy default choice.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-29-2017 at 07:16 AM.
04-27-2017, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All of the above KP features and also a quieter shutter design, which is great in quiet surroundings. It does feature 2-dial operation and also has metal construction, which is more costly. Both are about the same weight. The KP is slightly wider but a slimmer design, depending on the grip used. As to whether it is worth the extra money is an individual choice. It is really great that we have such a choice. The K-70, as well as the K-S2, still a current model, also offer weather sealing, 2-dial operation, and a pro-style glass pentaprism VF having a 100% field view, and very fine image quality, yet at the "entry" level price range!

04-27-2017, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've posted my reasoning for choosing the K-70 over the KP elsewhere on this forum. Apart from the price difference of almost 100% here in the Netherlands, I prefer the grip of the K-70 over the biggest grip of the KP and I prefer the fully articulated LCD screen especially for shooting ceilings and other high-up architecture.

Price of the KP was €1169 while the K-70 came in at €649 but as I said, there were other reasons for my preferring the K-70 as well.
04-27-2017, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then there's the unique selfie button on the K-70 and K-S2, which is my casual lightweight body. The KP will be for me an addition, not replacement. I agree, the fully articulating screen can be very useful for shooting at extreme angles!
04-27-2017, 12:08 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I have to vote no because I recently chose to upgrade from a K50 to K3ii which I think is currently a much better value upgrade - lower price plus a free battery grip at the time. Some of the better features on the KP - tilting screen, higher ISO, etc - would have been nice, but are not worth the added cost. My other alternative would have been to wait until the K3ii replacement came along and then weigh the specs/price.

04-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
No

The ISO range is really a gimmick. Several reviews show that there is very little discernable difference between the IQ of the K-70 and KP.

If the SR and AF features are sufficient enticement, then maybe.

Of course, I already have a K-70 and I'm awaiting the future K3II replacement or simply saving up for a K-1. One wonders if a possible firmware fix may be down the road for improved hybrid AF. The KP doesn't even have that.
04-27-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The answer depends on how much money the individual has to spend and how much they need the stunning high-ISO performance the KP allegedly brings. Right now, with the promise of a K-3 successor around the corner, I would be leery of immediately picking up a KP - I'd wait to see where it fits in the grand scheme of things.

If I were looking for a backup or travel body to sit alongside a larger camera like a K-1 or a 645D/Z, the relative compactness of the KP might have appeal, especially if combined with the DA Limited primes. But I haven't physically handled one, and until I did, I would reserve anything resembling authoritative comment.

Last edited by pathdoc; 04-27-2017 at 02:24 PM. Reason: typo
04-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SeaRefractor Quote
The ISO range is really a gimmick. Several reviews show that there is very little discernable difference between the IQ of the K-70 and KP.
I would disagree on that. I've run some test on raw files from both cameras which show a slight but yet clear advantage to the K-70. I wouldn't dare expressing it in stops but converting either camera's raw files with an entirely flat profile shows the KP's noise slightly more even and fine-grained and less "clumpy". Letting NeatImage loose on both KP and K-70 files confirmed that as the KP's came out with less smearing and slightly more detail.

Having said that, I still went for the K-70 as I thought the difference was certainly not earth-shattering and less than one half of one percent of my shots are high-iso (over ISO3200). Also, I favored the articulation method of the screen on the K-70. But, for people who do a lot of low-light shooting the KP certainly delivers top results probably only bested by the K-1 and FF bodies of other brands.
04-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you make money from your camera and/or it's tax deductible (or you frequently work in rough conditions) then sure, the kp is a great camera and has a higher build quality than the k70. Otherwise for most people there just isnt much difference in what they can do.
04-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Not really worth it to me. The K-3II currently offers a tremendous value & so does the K-70. The IQ goes to the K-70 while the performance goes to the K-3II. The next generation APS-C flagship should be worth the entry fee when it comes out. Hopefully Pentax adds at least 50% more excellence & win to it.
04-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Pentax has said the aperture control for the KP is different from what the K-30, K-50, etc use.

Have they ever said that about the K-70??
04-29-2017, 06:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have to say the K70 is awesome camera! However I love the KP including the awesome high ISO performance and now that the battery grip is on it love it even more so. But for someone on a budget it is a real price jump over a K70.
04-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I would get the KP, as I like the small but many advantages of those higher-end cameras. Unless the budget it an issue, then I would get the K-70 which is not bad at all.