Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D update.

I do not intend for this thread to become a Pentax bashing thread. I post this information in the spirit of sharing information/problems and the solutions available.

My experience:
I purchased my K20D back in May, everything worked fine for a couple of weeks and then early into an overseas trip a problem arose. When I would turn the camera off, it would not actually turn off, keeping the display on the top screen active. Half de-pressing the shutter button would turn it off....and the problem was only intermittent, but if you did not notice it, it would flatten the battery in a day or overnite.

At the same time the powering on issue started: turn the camera on and the top screen would become active, but nothing else until the shutter button was depressed again.

Just to add a degree of difficulty the camera would also occasionally refuse to do anything and required the battery to be removed and re-inserted.

Firmware update made no difference, reset to default settings made no difference either. Every possible option in the menu was studied and again, nothing fixed it.

Patience exhausted, the camera was returned for repairs and dutifully returned with the power on/off problem fixed, all in about 3 weeks, so cant complain about that.

However, the first shot taken with the 'new' camera revealed a 1cm (approx) vertical stripe on the left side of the image....as did all subsequent shots!!! So back it went.

Have now got the camera back, the sensor properly re-aligned and took more shots....shock! horror! masses of hot pixels!! Firmware is 1.01.

The good news is I hit up the Pixel Mapping function a few times and all appears to be ok.

So thats my story, the moral of which is you will sometimes have problems, no matter what you buy.

Thanks to the service people at CR Kennedy (Pentax Australia), they have no doubt learnt a bit out of this too.

If you are interested I have posted shots from the 'new' K20D over in "Post Your Photos"

Cheers
Grant

08-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #2

Good to hear CR Kennedy has looked after you Grant. Fortunately I've not had to test Pentax warranty claims (touch wood), so even if things get a little pear shaped, it's good that the situation was finally resolved.
08-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I hope your incident was an isolated one. It's good to know that CR Kennedy is there if you need them. As for me, nothing wrong with my K20D so far.
08-13-2008, 12:17 AM   #4

I too sent my K20 back to Digital Camera Warehouse after i recieved a body with an off center AF Coupler. And random focus. And hot pixels (not using 2 sec timer).

Hopefully they send a dialed in body back first time. Errr second time.

08-18-2008, 03:21 AM   #5

I got my K20D about 2 months ago, and I have the same occasional problem with the on/off thing. Sometimes I will turn it on, and all that shows up on the top LCD is the battery level indicator. Have to remove the battery and re-insert to fix it. Also there have been times when the camera would simply lock up while it is turned on.

Obviously I need to send it in while it's still under warranty, but have a trip in early September, so will wait until after I return. Where in the USA do I send it, and do I need to call ahead of time to get a return authorization?

Thanks,
Morg
08-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Definately return it. As to where, if you bought it in a shop I would start there, if bought on-line I would imagine it would go to Pentax USA, whose address would be on the warranty information.

When you send it in, send in a detailed note of the problems and only send in the body, no battery, no card etc etc. (at least that what they tell you over here)
Cheers.
08-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by wa5am Quote
I got my K20D about 2 months ago, and I have the same occasional problem with the on/off thing. Sometimes I will turn it on, and all that shows up on the top LCD is the battery level indicator. Have to remove the battery and re-insert to fix it. Also there have been times when the camera would simply lock up while it is turned on.

Obviously I need to send it in while it's still under warranty, but have a trip in early September, so will wait until after I return. Where in the USA do I send it, and do I need to call ahead of time to get a return authorization?

Thanks,
Morg
You are not by any chance using a 4GB+, non SDHC, SD card?

I did, and experienced almost exactly what you tell us here.

08-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a couple of things here, first as wowtip suggests, the camera is never really off. When you change memory cards normally the little ornge light on teh back flickers.

A second point, and more serious, is it is possible watter or moisture in the switch.

I got my *istD wet once. I mean really wet, and it would not turn off, in fact the shutter kept firing, and I had to pull the batteries. Water got in through the top of the switch, when a kayak swamped (oops my fault).

After leaving it open (all covers) in the sun upside down for 4 hours, it worked just fine again (never serviced in 4 years since) and just did it;s 10,000th frame
08-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by wowtip Quote
You are not by any chance using a 4GB+, non SDHC, SD card?

I did, and experienced almost exactly what you tell us here.
I am, and was thinking the same thing. It's one that came with the camera, just an el cheapo... I have been meaning to get a SanDisk 8 gig. Maybe that will take care of the problem. What do you think?

Thanks!
08-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am, and was thinking the same thing. It's one that came with the camera, just an el cheapo... I have been meaning to get a SanDisk 8 gig. Maybe that will take care of the problem. What do you think?

Thanks!
Try different cards by all means. I have used a San Disk (bought with the camera from reputable firm) 8gig SDHC; Panasonic 4g SDHC & Toshiba 2 g.....with no difference to the problem.

The service report was that the main PC board (whatever that is) was replaced.
08-19-2008, 02:18 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Try different cards by all means. I have used a San Disk (bought with the camera from reputable firm) 8gig SDHC; Panasonic 4g SDHC & Toshiba 2 g.....with no difference to the problem.

The service report was that the main PC board (whatever that is) was replaced.

Okay Thanks. I planned to get a sandisk anyway, so I'll see what happens, but won't get my hopes up right off.
08-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #12

It might be something else, but my K20D behaved exactly as you described when I used a cheap non SDHC 4GB card. Camera works perfectly with both non SDHC 2GB card and SDHC 8GB card.

The fun part is that it was a "Pentax preferred reseller" or what they are called that sold me this card. I specifically told them it was for a K20D.

Now it serves me well in my backup cam, Canon A610.
08-20-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian

That non SDHC card info is definitely a good one to file away. We're likely to see more of it with some of the less that scrupulous ebay venders around. I know I'll definitely watch were I obtain my SD cards. I'm currently using a SanDisk Extreme III 4 gig SDHC card in my K200D with no problems.