Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 338 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2017, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #241
Pentaxian

There are basically 2 ways for EVFs to replace (as opposed to, coexist with) OVFs:
- a significant improvement, effectively solving the eye strain and lag issues
- the customers won't know there is another choice (or disconsider OVFs as a choice from the start)
The first... is difficult. The later is the goal for all that aggressive pro-EVF propaganda. People might learn to live with eye fatigue because they would assume there's no other way.

05-17-2017, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #242
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
So....a loss of .1 vs 1 in market share? Bro...the difference is 10X!
Sure, just ignore the other part of the data where DLSRs sold 8.2 million units, and MILCs sold 3.1...
And the fact that BOTH markets are going down. Which was my point anyway. In the future, there may not be ANY VFs - OVFs nor EVFs. It will all be just cell phones. (*)

(*) Ok, I don't really believe that... Cameras might be a niche market from now on but they'll stay in existence. Thankfully the technology is so good that even without great innovations from now on, we can still take great pictures, even in very low light situations.

QuoteQuote:
It's a swing!....and a miss. Sorry, but there is a miniscule difference between shooting stills through an EVF and shooting video through an EVF. Some video screens are 60"...some are 1" and enclosed in the viewfinder of a video camera.
I think you misread my comment... I wasn't comparing videos with stills. I was comparing EVFs with screens that you don't put against your eye to basically shut out everything else. Like a cell phone screen or a 3-inch camcorder pop-out screen. Those don't give motion sickness. EVFs do.
05-17-2017, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #243
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There are basically 2 ways for EVFs to replace (as opposed to, coexist with) OVFs:
- a significant improvement, effectively solving the eye strain and lag issues
I know a lot of users for which this wouldnt even be half the way. Looking through glass is direct sensory perception of the subject as it is.
Watching a second hand virtual representation is just a poor workaround. It by definition can never be an equivalent replacement. It's only a prothesis.

You can have the exact same discussion on cyber sex. Improve the technology as you will. It's not going to be same as the real thing.
05-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why are vinyl records making a comeback, tubes replacing transistors in AMPS at least with audiophiles? Why do some Astronomers still uses Eye Pieces and look directly through the telescope? Why do many drivers prefer analog dials for their speedometer and tachometer over digital read out? Why do some photographers still shoot film? Why do some prefer OVF over EVF. In many many cases the digital version seems better than the analog version. But human beings are analog creatures and analog is generally smoother and continuous compared to digital, which no mater how fine they get, still is blocky. Just because some don't notice it, others do and to discount their view point in the name of progress and technology advancement is disingenuous. There is room for both, and as others have mentioned, where there is a market being neglected, someone will provide for that market.

05-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #245
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
cyber sex. Improve the technology
That's a thought!
05-17-2017, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #246
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seagas Quote
Why are vinyl records making a comeback, tubes replacing transistors in AMPS at least with audiophiles? Why do some Astronomers still uses Eye Pieces and look directly through the telescope? Why do many drivers prefer analog dials for their speedometer and tachometer over digital read out? Why do some photographers still shoot film? Why do some prefer OVF over EVF. In many many cases the digital version seems better than the analog version. But human beings are analog creatures and analog is generally smoother and continuous compared to digital, which no mater how fine they get, still is blocky. Just because some don't notice it, others do and to discount their view point in the name of progress and technology advancement is disingenuous. There is room for both, and as others have mentioned, where there is a market being neglected, someone will provide for that market.
Because they sound better (or so they claim). Because they want to see with their own eyes; otherwise they could just browse the Internet. Because they're much easier to "read". Because they like it. Because it works for us, and the electronic version doesn't.
We might be subjective to a degree, but we're not irrational.
05-17-2017, 05:01 PM - 2 Likes   #247
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Because they sound better....
Yup. Because they sound better. It really is that simple.

05-17-2017, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #248
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yup. Because they sound better. It really is that simple.
And I like OVFs because it feels better to look through them. From now on, I'll just say that and save myself the trouble of trying to argue with people who don't want to hear someone else's opinion anyway
05-17-2017, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seagas Quote
Why are vinyl records making a comeback, tubes replacing transistors in AMPS at least with audiophiles? Why do some Astronomers still uses Eye Pieces and look directly through the telescope? Why do many drivers prefer analog dials for their speedometer and tachometer over digital read out? Why do some photographers still shoot film?
And digital wristwatches never took off - they like speedometers give another important reason - both provide context - they provide information beyond what you immediately need (like the speed range the car is capable of, the number of hours before and after a given time at a glance), which aids decision making and decision making is control, and we want to be in control.
05-18-2017, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #250
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
And I like OVFs because it feels better to look through them. From now on, I'll just say that and save myself the trouble of trying to argue with people who don't want to hear someone else's opinion anyway
I could not agree with you more if I tried! Tried EVF - hated it.
05-19-2017, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #251
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
The final death knell of a commercial consumer economy - "good enough".
For now my K5iis is good enough. I find myself shooting film even more now though. I think the good enough is what killed the compact camera, both in the already owned and the smartphone.

One of the growing markets is pinhole cameras. Should Pentax compete in that? 😊
05-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
SNIP...

One of the growing markets is pinhole cameras. Should Pentax compete in that? 😊
As long as it has an EVF
05-19-2017, 11:58 PM   #253
Pentaxian

I'm not a technical expert but I think mirrorless will be the future. That seems to be the trend now.

I just hope that Pentax can develop the technology of using the same k-mount on a mirrorless camera.

For my wish, I hope it will be with the AF speed of a D7200. It's just a dream. (Maybe they'll use a magic wand or something.)
05-20-2017, 12:37 AM   #254
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I just hope that Pentax can develop the technology of using the same k-mount on a mirrorless camera.
K-mount, mirrors and prisms are dooooooomed.
05-20-2017, 02:59 AM   #255
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am unclear on if or when mirrorless ILCs will catch SLRs. People really have predicted the end of SLRs for a very long time and it still feels like it is a little ways away.

To me, the issue is not functionality, as for the average auto focusing user there is little difference between the two (and few folks these days are really manual focusing on a regular basis). The question really will come down to cost. If top end EVFs can get to the place where they are significantly cheaper to install and manufacture than OVFs then that will tip the scales towards them. But as of right now I just don't see that difference in cost -- at least not in the final product. Sony A7r sells for 1900 dollars on Amazon, the K-1 sells for 1800 dollars on Amazon. Both have roughly the same sensor, although I would argue the K-1 offers more features. Regardless, if you go down the line and look at similarly specified cameras, SLRs are the same price as mirrorless ILCs or even a little cheaper at times.
Closed Thread