Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 338 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2017, 09:59 PM   #526
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
DPR's infamous K-1 review!
Was it good?....not quite a ride in the park?

06-30-2017, 12:04 AM   #527
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Was it good?....not quite a ride in the park?
Well, put it this way ... Beholder3 found flaws in their methodology, and what amounted to a cover up, and was banned from DPR for his efforts.

06-30-2017, 12:25 AM - 2 Likes   #528
Pentaxian

And from what I believe its the highest honour a Pentaxian can be awarded by DiaPeReview!
06-30-2017, 01:01 AM   #529
Pentaxian

It's going to be a viscous circle, DSLR user base will continue to shrink and so is the profit margin, to the point that camera manufacturers have to raise price to sustain making DSLR for the smaller user base. And this will further shrink the DSLR user base.

We like it or not, DSLR is dead, more and more pro's moving towards mirrorless - and for now the best choice is Sony mirrorless. Any manufacturer who want to stay in market have to take mirrorless route.

Pentax is no exception, even that requires changing mount - Sony exactly did that, moving from A to E mount.

06-30-2017, 01:17 AM   #530
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
DSLR is dead, more and more pro's moving towards mirrorless - and for now the best choice is Sony mirrorless
And next years Olympics, WHERE will Sony be?
06-30-2017, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #531
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

We like it or not, DSLR is dead, .
Way more DSLRs are bought than mirrorless, Yusuf, despite the hype.

What really seems to be dead are compact P&S - and they're all mirrorless.
06-30-2017, 01:36 AM   #532
Pentaxian

I think DSLRs will survive a decade or two at least. Eventually more mirrorless will be sold but a new equilibrium will be reached once mirrorless technology has matured and improvements in new models will only be incremental, with probably 30% DSLR sales and 70% mirrorless. Battery technology isn't changing as fast as we would like and the OVF just has certain advantages over the EVF. Hybrid OVF/EVF would probably extend the life of high end DSLRs considerably.

06-30-2017, 01:56 AM   #533
Pentaxian

Way more DSLRs are bought than mirrorless, Yusuf, despite the hype.
Yes and no. Yes if you only see absolute number. No, if you see the trend and ratio between DSLR/mirrorless sale which has reduced drastically, approaching one from a large number and won't be long before mirrorless overtakes.

QuoteQuote:
In 2010, there were 8 times more DSLRs than mirrorless. In 2016, the numbers dropped for both, but they almost got even: 12 million DSLRs and 11 million mirrorless cameras.
DSLR market is now mostly driven from a few loyalist and those who never owned a serious camera before & often end up buying DSLR just because that's what only thing they heard of serious cameras. Often people come to me to seek advice on their first camera purchase and sometime all they want to hear is Nikon/Canon. So if I ask them to go Sony mirrorless route, they are often surprised by the suggestion - this is not what they wanted to hear and most of them end buying Nikon/Canon. Reason, that's what they saw their friend and family shooting with it and that's where they want their first serious investment going. Do we call them market mover, yes, that's mostly working in DSLR favour for now but not for long.
06-30-2017, 02:01 AM   #534
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes and no. Yes if you only see absolute number. .
Well, I'm just pointing out you were wrong in what you said

And I have both mirrorless and DSLR full frame.

Guess which I use the most?

06-30-2017, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #535
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what only thing they heard of serious cameras. Often people come to me to seek advice on their first camera purchase and sometime all they want to hear is Nikon/Canon. So if I ask them to go Sony mirrorless route, they are often surprised by the suggestion - this is not what they wanted to hear and most of them end buying Nikon/Canon. Reason, that's what they saw their friend and family shooting with it and that's where they want their first serious investment going. Do we call them market mover, yes, that's mostly working in DSLR favour for now but not for long.
I'm not going to go over all the mirrorless vs DSLR arguments - they're been more than amply aired on the forums - and I don't dispute your experience for a second: I would just say.however that I don't buy DSLRs because I'm a loyalist - I buy them because I prefer the photographic experience they give me - and I think that there is a hard core of people like myself for whom this will long be the case. I'm not against mirrorless, but I do want to retain an equilibrium where equal R&D goes into both mirrorless and DSLRs so that we always have that choice.
06-30-2017, 02:37 AM   #536
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
And next years Olympics, WHERE will Sony be?
Still a wannabe.
(it rhymes)
(Sony, it rhymes with phony)
06-30-2017, 02:50 AM   #537
Pentaxian

You're a poet,but we didn't know it....

Phony will be trying you see, but I wonder where you'll be?(it rhymes too)
06-30-2017, 04:12 AM   #538
Pentaxian

Well, I'm just pointing out you were wrong in what you said
I only said it's shrinking

And I have both mirrorless and DSLR full frame.

Guess which I use the most?
I also maintained both DSLR and mirrorless for sometime, but now only the mirrorless because of compact size and EVF. EVF consistently gave me reliable results in terms of focus accuracy so no going back to OVF and so to DSLR.

Still love shooting with SLR though (ME Super) but that's a different story. EVF pairs more naturally with digital photography. The EVF technology was limited earlier to justify OVF use in DSLR. But now it has reached to the point that digital photography is best complimented with EVF only.
06-30-2017, 04:30 AM   #539
Pentaxian

You also said this

We like it or not, DSLR is dead
06-30-2017, 04:38 AM   #540
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I only said it's shrinking.
No.

You said it was 'dead', Yusuf, don't try to backpedal. That's a deception, and I'll remember it in future.

Actually, what's dead is Samsung that gambled on going entirely mirrorless. And mirrorless compacts - meaning the number of Sony cameras sold has dropped every year since the A7 came out, AFAIK.

Last edited by clackers; 06-30-2017 at 04:53 AM.
Closed Thread