Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2017, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #1

Sony A9: is there still a future for DSLRs, and Pentax mirrorless suggestion

I am very impressed by the action performance of the new Sony A9 mirrorless FF flagship:

Serious speed: Sony a9 real world samples gallery

Serious speed: Sony a9 real world samples gallery

It's been a long week since the Sony a9 announcement, but now we're finally able to show you our real wo...

With this advance in mirrorless technology, Sony is challenging Canon and Nikon pro sports machine gun DSLRs.

And IMO it also challenges the future of the whole DSLR market.

If Sony wins the high end sports pro market, within a few years, when this technology will be available in more affordable models, like $2000 FF bodies or $1500 APS-C, DSLR market shares might collapse as fast as film photography 10 years ago.

I hope Ricoh Imaging will be able to offer a future to Pentax to survive to this challenge .

Hence my suggestion of the development of a FF mirrorless K-mount: no adapter, having a thinner camera doesnt really matter for a FF system, what matters is to rely on a well established modern lenses echosystem.

In such a move, it would be useless for Ricoh to spend any more R&D on improving OVF PDAF, the urgence would be to develop from scratch a working on-sensor PDAF: it wont need to perform as well as SonyA9, but it must at least equal Fuji APS-C or Sony A6500 AF performance.

When this technology will be available in entry level ILC cameras ($500-$1000 APS-C or M43 with kit lens) and advanced 1" fixed lens cameras ( $1000/1500 pocketable and superzoom bridge like Sony RX100 and RX10), and once the pro level gear will have switch to mirrorless, entry level Canon and Nikon DSLRs might also be wiped off the hobbiists market.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-28-2017 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Title edited for relevance to Pentax
04-28-2017, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is Pentax doomed yet again? A long flange distance mirrorless won't happen. Ricoh needs to develop hybrid VF technology to combine OVF and EVF. Then you will have the best of both worlds.
04-28-2017, 02:36 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

I sure hope DSLR's will have a long and happy life. Due to my job i am required to look into a monitor at least 8h a day, so i hope i wont be forced to do so in my free time enjoying the nature or traveling randomly.

I am not a pro photgrapher and i only use single frame shooting, and i do not think that will change in the near future.

edit: i am a technology freak, would like to always have the latest and greatest tech, but sometimes technology ruins things.
For example i prefer the sound of vinyl compared to mp3 (although they are a pain storage wise), the sound of a high performance internal combustion engine, and the sound of the shutter and look of an ovf

Last edited by robiles; 04-28-2017 at 02:46 AM.
04-28-2017, 02:36 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think all of the differences between mirrorless and SLRs are less than it appears on paper. OVF versus EVF really comes down to personal taste and preference. Sensors probably perform a little better in SLRs than in mirrorless as do batteries, purely because of the always on aspect of mirrorless. Size is a little smaller with mirrorless -- mainly thinner -- but once you stick a fast zoom on the camera, everything seems about the same. Companies that sell mirrorless cameras try to show them with slow zooms or with wide angle primes to demonstrate how small they are, but stick an 85mm f1.4 on an A9 and it is going to pretty chunky.

Specifications are based on price and are pretty similar. If you pay four or five thousand dollars for a camera, it should be an excellent performing camera.

If I were to guess, I would say that eventually mirrorless will squeeze out SLRs at the low end of things and gradually move up, but I don't think the average photographer cares that much about the differences.

04-28-2017, 02:53 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Imaging Resources gallery is much more informative: Sony A9 Review: Now Shooting!
04-28-2017, 03:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Imaging Resources gallery is much more informative: Sony A9 Review: Now Shooting!
Of course it is! DPReview had to spread the same information on 5-6 articles!
04-28-2017, 03:40 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still think the way for Pentax/Ricoh to go with mirrorless is a short registration distance with an adapter that allows full function with all existing K-mount lenses. If a TC can transfer all functions, so could such an adapter. Then, as with the Sony FF and micro 4/3 cameras, adapters could allow any and all lenses from any and all manufacturers to be mounted. Pentax body ergonomics are better or superior to any Canikon bodies, and with the opportunity to mount virtually any lens made over the past 70 years with infinity focus.................

04-28-2017, 04:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Pentax is not famous for high speed cameras in general. And the K-01 is even slower. So I really doubt Pentax will produce a high speed mirrorless anytime soon. But I hope some of the good Sony technologies trickle through to other companies, who actually know how to use them
04-28-2017, 04:42 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Action cameras are expensive, beyond what most people can pay for a camera. So in fact cameras like the A9 are more about bragging rights than market share. Bragging rights for most of those who purchase them and for the company itself. But a camera like the A9 isn't going to do much to increase Sony's or mirrorless market share.At this point anyone who hasn't already gone mirrorless, probably isn't going to.

Last edited by normhead; 04-30-2017 at 08:23 AM.
04-28-2017, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax doesn't have to produce a high-speed mirrorless, trying to out-speed Sony. It needs to produce a FF mirrorless with Pentax body ergonomics, back-compatibility with all K-mount lenses, and the option of mounting other lenses (including Leica M) via adapters while maintaining infinity focus. I would go for it in pre-order.
04-28-2017, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Action cameras are expensive, beyond what most people can pay for a camera. So in fact cameras like the A9 are more about bragging rights than marktn share. Bragging rights for most of those who purchase them and for the company itself. But a camera like the A9 isn't going to do much to increase Sony's or mirrorless market share.At this point anyone who hasn't already gone mirrorless, probably isn't going to.
Sony marketing are using the A9 wow effect (very few people will buy an A9 because it's overpriced and overspec) but they will sell more of the A7 series.
Same for the Fuji GFX, 99% of poeple won't pay for a GFX, but more people will get to know Fuji X.
Pentax, with all those announcements, are in the shadows.
You have to understand that even if this is ridiculous, people are influenced by all that stuff, and a lot of them will buy into Sony even if that doesn't make sense.
04-28-2017, 05:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think all of the differences between mirrorless and SLRs are less than it appears on paper. OVF versus EVF really comes down to personal taste and preference. ...
Depends on circumstances. Several times in the past year I have taken pictures where it was too dark for me to frame through the OVF, so I had to switch to LV ... and I really hate taking pictures zombie mode. As cameras become better and better at high ISO settings, "seeing in the dark" will make EVF technology much more inviting.
04-28-2017, 05:20 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Depends on circumstances. Several times in the past year I have taken pictures where it was too dark for me to frame through the OVF, so I had to switch to LV ... and I really hate taking pictures zombie mode. As cameras become better and better at high ISO settings, "seeing in the dark" will make EVF technology much more inviting.
How did the pictures turn out?
04-28-2017, 05:45 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Maybe.

A situation where it is too dark for an auto focus approved to function down to -3EV is one where few images will turn out (except for astro photography stuff taken from a tripod). I'm an auto focus only guy, so having a bunch of cluttered stuff in my viewfinder -- all the EVF helps -- does very little for me.
04-28-2017, 06:23 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe.

A situation where it is too dark for an auto focus approved to function down to -3EV is one where few images will turn out (except for astro photography stuff taken from a tripod). I'm an auto focus only guy, so having a bunch of cluttered stuff in my viewfinder -- all the EVF helps -- does very little for me.
I'm always waiting to see that image taken in poor light that will make me say "I really want to shoot in the dark."
Closed Thread