Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I had mine set to off... going to change as I found the option.

One question... where does the dust go?

08-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
I had mine set to off... going to change as I found the option.

One question... where does the dust go?
There's a sticky strip inside the chamber that catches the dust and holds it. And I assume that, if you use a blower when you change lenses, you must blow a little dust out, too.

Will
08-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Thanks Will
08-20-2008, 01:48 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
There's a sticky strip inside the chamber that catches the dust and holds it. And I assume that, if you use a blower when you change lenses, you must blow a little dust out, too.

Will

IS it actually there and how often would it be replaced

cheers

08-20-2008, 07:28 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
IS it actually there and how often would it be replaced

cheers
To my knowledge, you do not replace it, ever.

It seems to me that a little strip of sticky stuff couldn't last forever. Actually, the whole idea seems pretty lame to me. However, I know that I am more or less completely ignorant of the engineering dimension of this issue. One thing I do know is that similar systems are used in many other camera models. So I sort of trust that the camera makers know what they're doing here.

Will
08-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #36
Veteran Member

So I sort of trust that the camera makers know what they're doing here.

Will
Or they're just copying each other, hoping that one solution might work. Just look at live-view - the only people who thought of an original concept were Olympus, then Sony.
08-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #37
Site Supporter

To my knowledge, you do not replace it, ever.

It seems to me that a little strip of sticky stuff couldn't last forever. Actually, the whole idea seems pretty lame to me. However, I know that I am more or less completely ignorant of the engineering dimension of this issue. One thing I do know is that similar systems are used in many other camera models. So I sort of trust that the camera makers know what they're doing here.

Will
And it costs less than a dime.

Because I have a KHundredD, I do not have this decision to make, but...I would have it ON at start up. Because I turn off the camera when changing lenses to (I believe) reduce the static charge on the sensor, when I turn the camera back on after a lens change - the likely time dust would creep in, it seems that is the logical time I would want it to operate. The shake on the initial start-up is a small proportion of the total shakes during a day of shooting perhaps, so I would not worry about batteries.
08-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #38
Forum Member

I've left mine off because that was the default setting (k20d). I figured pentax knows more than I do?

08-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #39
Moderator PEG Judges

Leave it on, Pentax have given this option in the menu system, so it can be like a "belt & braces" situation.

When you're as old as me the memory is shot and I can never remember when I last gave the beast a shake.

Hell I can't even remember what I had for breakfast.
08-26-2008, 05:28 AM   #40
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I've had it set to on since day one on my K10D and have had no problems with just over 20,000 photos. I probably take on average 400 photos per session turning the camera on and off 4-5 times during the course of the day.

I used to have to clean my *istD monthly with a visible dust brush but haven't used it yet on the K10D.

Latest research tells us that a big chunk of the dust that ends up on sensors comes from within the camera body itself. That's why C*n*n spent big developing new materials to reduce the wear and tear inside. Anyone using non DA* zoom lenses will get dust sucked in to the body through the action of the lens extending and receding too. This is the flaw in relying only on using the dust removal after changing lenses.

Still whatever works for you is fine.
08-26-2008, 07:09 AM   #41

I've no idea if the DR is a potential mechanical liability, but I do know that the noise is a bit irritating. I have it on at start-up anyway, as I often forget to do it often otherwise, plus I change lenses quite a lot. I do have my doubts as to how effective it is, but I think it's best to take advantage of it, even if it only works some of the time.
I use a medium rocket blower to get rid of the stubborn particles when they show up badly (mostly on skies and photos taken at f8 or smaller) but I don't like to poke things inside the camera so I do this as seldom as I can get away with.
I think it's due for another blowing pretty soon, actually.
08-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #42
Veteran Member

rortiz,
I have always left mine on. Yesterday, after a macro session with a praying mantis, I noticed a small hair like thing on the images. I cycled the power on the camera a couple time for dust removal. Then I took a shot of the ceiling without a lens and the hair was gone. This proves to me that it works. Besides, how can one really tell how effective it is, unless you can actually see somethine get removed.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by rortiz Quote
I'm just finishing up customising the settings on my K20D and am not sure if I set the dust removal feature to "On at Start-up" or not. It just seems that the cleaning action is quite violent - I guess if it weren't it wouldn't be effective. I would think that the sensor should be built to take the "abuse" but still....

Has anyone had a problem that stemmed from setting the dust removal system to "On at Start-up"?