Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Dust Removal at Start-up: On or Off?

I'm just finishing up customising the settings on my K20D and am not sure if I set the dust removal feature to "On at Start-up" or not. It just seems that the cleaning action is quite violent - I guess if it weren't it wouldn't be effective. I would think that the sensor should be built to take the "abuse" but still....

Has anyone had a problem that stemmed from setting the dust removal system to "On at Start-up"?

08-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #2

Don't know if dust removal is upgraded from K10D but I do know that only Olympus system does make some difference with his dust removal. That is, Pentax and Canon systems are not so good like in Olympus. I set it to Off on my K10D, just to save some more battery power. Because, if you're not switching lenses everty time you turn off your camera, there is no other way for dust to get in, and it's always easy to apply it via menu when you change your lens...
08-13-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine's on - no problems yet on my K10D.
I'm more anal about sensor dust - so if this has any effect at all, I'll use it...
08-13-2008, 01:03 AM   #4

i haven't even worked out how to use it yet after 3 months with the camera :P

08-13-2008, 01:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If I had a K[something] camera with dust removal, I'd have it set to "off", and I'd manually enable it a couple of times whenever I change lenses.. or whenever I can remember.
08-13-2008, 02:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have it turned for both the k10 and now the k20, that way I dont forget and very rarely have to do it manually
08-13-2008, 02:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It doesn't work

so I leave it off. I use a rocket blower -which does usually work - when needed.

08-13-2008, 02:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I leave it off on my K10D. In fact, I rarely use the dust-removal feature at all; I usually see the option when randomly browsing the menu and think, "oh, haven't done this in a while" and then make it do it's little shake.
08-13-2008, 02:38 AM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One way to know if it works or not is to compare a K100D and K100D super in the same conditions, the super having the auto clean on, and then seeing how much extra dust there is on the K100D.

My impression - probably does work, even if only a little. What makes the difference b/w the K100D and K10D is the dust resistant sensor on the K10D.

The dust that accumulates on the K100D compared to the K10D was like night and day for me...
08-13-2008, 03:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Mine is always on and so far (1 year) I haven't noticed any significant problems with dust (living in Greece, thats a minor miracle). I attribute it to careful lens changing, and keeping my dust removal on start up engaged.

My rocket blower gets most use just keeping the outside clean and lenses dust free.

Something must be working.

Jason
08-13-2008, 04:05 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
It looks like OFF is the way to go. From the replies the best way to NOT to get dust is to avoid it. Then if you do, use the Dust Removal System and go for a Giotti Rocket.

Thanks for all your responses.

08-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since there is no practical downside to leaving it on, it seems silly to turn it off.
08-13-2008, 07:04 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I leave it off on my K10D, and use it manually whenever I change a lens. Just in case! I must buy one of those rocket thingies... they sound like fun!
08-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Mine is off.
My reasons:
- the Dust Removal system is not so effective as I think;
- to save power and to avoid any unnecessary malfunction as my K10d is already out of warranty;
- the sensor of K10D is not so dust attractive as compared to K100D and I don't encounter any dirt accumulation that I could see in pics so far.
08-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsport Quote
Mine is off.
My reasons:
- the Dust Removal system is not so effective as I think;
- to save power and to avoid any unnecessary malfunction as my K10d is already out of warranty;
- the sensor of K10D is not so dust attractive as compared to K100D and I don't encounter any dirt accumulation that I could see in pics so far.
I am not trying to be contentious here, but just wonder why....

1, Even if it is only mildly effective, it's still effective
2, How much power from the battery exactly does the split second of sensor cleaning shake actually consume from the battery? I have had mine on since purchase and have never given battery life a second thought with my K10D.
3, With any DSLR, it is susceptible to dust or minute particles on the sensor, why not use a feature the K series has and keep the possibility of to a minimum?

Jason