Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2007, 06:57 AM   #1

How is AF single focus mode working

I saw in a Norwegian test that if K10d is in AF single mode that the camera wan'nt fire if subject is out of focus. Can this be tru? What about focus and recompose?

Cato

02-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

yes, it will not fire if it's not focused at af.s
yeah..if it wont fire, then your pretty much forced to recompose
02-18-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

As long as its has locked and you keep your finger on the button when you recompose it will fire.
02-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
As long as its has locked and you keep your finger on the button when you recompose it will fire.

forgot to mention: I will be using the AF-button on thr camera back. So when focusing using the center af-sensor, releasing the button, recompose. and fire.

Will this be possible or will the camera refuse to operate unless it focused on something

02-18-2007, 08:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
Here is from another test: "In single-focus mode, the camera will not take a picture unless focus-lock has been established."

I cant beleave this. Is it tru? Is the only way to focus and recompose to use the continious mode and release the button and then take a picture?

I am confused now, and someone might buy my D2x tonight or tomorrow. Maybe I am not selling it if the above is the way the K10D operates.
02-18-2007, 09:39 AM   #6

In AF-S the camera will not take a picture unless it has got focus lock.
In AF-C (and MF) , it will take a picture when you press the trigger fully - even if it has not got focus.

If you lock focus, you can recompose the picture while the trigger button is pressed halway. Or you can disable AF on the trigger button in the menu and use the AF button on the back to autofocus. The same rules for AF-S and AF-C apply when using the AF button.
02-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Indeed, AF-S requires focus lock, AF-C does not. If your using single point mode, select whichever is appropriate for the shooting conditions.

I only tend to use center point focus mode, I find it more useful knowing where the cam is going to try to focus, and if I want a specific point I just half press and re-compose. Works great and you can shoot incredibly fast like this.

02-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #8

Original Poster
But if you focus in SF mode, using the AF button on the back of the camera, get a focus on something and then realease the AF-button, and then recompose will camera fire then. In other words, if you are in SF mode and dont focus on anything, will the picture be taken?

I am sorry for beeing so stupid

Cato
02-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chals Quote
But if you focus in SF mode, using the AF button on the back of the camera, get a focus on something and then realease the AF-button, and then recompose will camera fire then. In other words, if you are in SF mode and dont focus on anything, will the picture be taken?

I am sorry for beeing so stupid

Cato
no worries mate...

i think i got the jist of what your trying to do
in Custom, i turned off shutter focus half way and turned on af button to focus (i had it on cancel af)

1. pressed AF button to focus on object, released AF button, recomposed, pressed shutter button release, picture taken

2. put the lens out of focus, pressed shutter, picture taken, nothing was in focus.

all in AF.S

so, yes, shutter can be released with things OoF
02-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #10

Original Poster
Puh!! It will operate as I am used to. Probably better with the battery grip, as the D2x does not have AE lock at the vertical position, but it has the AF-button there.
So, if I can reach the AF-button on the K10d with my tumb while holding the camera in the vertical position with the grip it will work better for me, since I can operate both buttons with my thumb in the vertical position too.

Hvave any of you tried this?

Thank you for helping me out here.

Cato
02-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Puh!! It will operate as I am used to. Probably better with the battery grip, as the D2x does not have AE lock at the vertical position, but it has the AF-button there.
So, if I can reach the AF-button on the K10d with my tumb while holding the camera in the vertical position with the grip it will work better for me, since I can operate both buttons with my thumb in the vertical position too.

Hvave any of you tried this?

Thank you for helping me out here.

Cato
nope, going out to do some shooting, so, i'll see how that works out later
02-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, it will.

I take landscape and static portrait pictures exactly the same way as you described here.