Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2017, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Three perhaps idiosyncratic reasons for choosing the K-70 over the KP

Most likely, the newer KP is a better camera technically than the K-70. But I found three things that kept me from keeping it, and led me to buying the K-70.

1. The grip. The medium grip for the KP was the best of the three for me, but still not comfortable. The larger grip was the best size, but not in shape. The K-70, while very slightly larger than perfect, just feels better.

2. The strap lugs. The K-70 strap connections are basically built into the top of the camera.The lug on the right side of the KP is in a terrible place (for me), as it intruded into my hand. I took the triangular ring off of it, and it still was not comfortable. Since I tend to carry my camera around by the grip, and certainly hold it there when shooting, this was just a straightforward inconvenience. I'm surprised no one else has commented on it, but assume it is my hand that must be sensitive right there.

3. I like the top panel controls better on the K-70.

I like the slightly more compact size of the K-70, too, though not really an issue.

05-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Elliot Quote
Most likely, the newer KP is a better camera technically than the K-70. But I found three things that kept me from keeping it, and led me to buying the K-70.

1. The grip. The medium grip for the KP was the best of the three for me, but still not comfortable. The larger grip was the best size, but not in shape. The K-70, while very slightly larger than perfect, just feels better.

2. The strap lugs. The K-70 strap connections are basically built into the top of the camera.The lug on the right side of the KP is in a terrible place (for me), as it intruded into my hand. I took the triangular ring off of it, and it still was not comfortable. Since I tend to carry my camera around by the grip, and certainly hold it there when shooting, this was just a straightforward inconvenience. I'm surprised no one else has commented on it, but assume it is my hand that must be sensitive right there.

3. I like the top panel controls better on the K-70.

I like the slightly more compact size of the K-70, too, though not really an issue.
I'm planning a Forum review of the KP. The only thing on my Con list so far is the strap lug on the right side. It digs right into the web between thumb and index finger. I hold it like a film camera instead of like a dSLR with a deep grip and the problem goes away.

I use either a hand strap or neck strap on my main cameras and the KP will be outfitted with a legacy strap shortly.
05-06-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I hold it like a film camera instead of like a dSLR with a deep grip and the problem goes away.
I agree with you in concept, but not in detail.

Roughly thirty years ago Canon hired an industrial engineer to provide the general outlines of new cameras. Unlike the K-01, the T-90 which resulted was a success, and seems to have infected every SLR-type camera since then.

My Canon EOS Elan {middle in the picture below}, which was my last film camera, was the first camera I owned with auto-focus, plastic-body, built-in flash, and noticeable grip; auto-focus is the only change in that list which I ultimately liked. When I complain about "stealthy T-90 design", I am complaining about this look-and-feel - I certainly would not attribute "deep grip" to digital cameras - the K-30 is absurd in that respect, but the last Canon film designs had us well on that road.

added: I hold my K-30 essentially the same as how I held my Super Program - the grip is more of a nuisance than anything else.

Last edited by reh321; 05-06-2017 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added comment
05-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I agree with you in concept, but not in detail.

Roughly thirty years ago Canon hired an industrial engineer to provide the general outlines of new cameras. Unlike the K-01, the T-90 which resulted was a success, and seems to have infected every SLR-type camera since then.

My Canon EOS Elan {middle in the picture below}, which was my last film camera, was the first camera I owned with auto-focus, plastic-body, built-in flash, and noticeable grip; auto-focus is the only change in that list which I ultimately liked. When I complain about "stealthy T-90 design", I am complaining about this look-and-feel - I certainly would not attribute "deep grip" to digital cameras - the K-30 is absurd in that respect, but the last Canon film designs had us well on that road.

I am aware of your theory but I never think about the T90. Subject

People want to hold a camera with one hand. It isn't really a grip - it's a handle. Since most of my photography is done with legacy film camera the extent of my grip use is the LX Grip B. Were it not for the placement of the shutter button I'd be uncomfortable holding the KP.

The lug placement on the right side of the KP is an unfortunate compromise, or oversight.

05-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think those are good reasons to prefer one camera over another - if you have to think about it while you are shooting then the camera is getting in the way.

I have the KP, which I love, and I only got the small grip - I don't tend to use it without the strap (I like the one that came with the camera), so it doesn't throw me - that and I'm just as liable to hold it with my left hand when carrying it.

The thing which gets me is the on/off button - I tend to carry the camera over my right shoulder with the pentaprism and lens tucked into the back of my hip (as I've done with every dslr I've ever used and most film cameras). The On/off switch sticks out noticeably in the off position and is sharpish, so it keeps turning the camera on, both of these things annoy me somewhat. This has no relevance during use, only when carried on the strap.

Oh, and the plastic top attracts dust buildup like no other camera I've ever used - again, not relevant in use at all (dust doesn't go in the camera), just a bit weird.

I haven't seen anybody comment on those things at all, frankly they're pretty much irrelevant after a few weeks.
05-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #6

My only problems with the KP are the rear AF buton, it's a bit up and I keep pressing the green one for focus, the missing non locking option of the mode selector and that I preferred the grip on my K-30.
But I had that camera for 4 years, if I only pick my K-30 in 4 years I will probably prefer the KP grip. (and it will probably only shoot black picks with the now moribund K-30 )

After all that time with the K-30 and 20k pics and only 300 pics with the KP, my only reason to buy a K-70 would be price, a KP at minus 200 or 300€ would make this decision an easy one (that it was for me), the K70 is really competitive, especial if you only look at the end result, the pics, but the KP was an upgrade in every level. (the k3ii is also a big variable, but I really wanted the tilting screen, size and all the small upgrades they added to the KP and really didn’t care about the major absences, battery, burst and 2nd card etc)

My preferred grip is also the middle one, I think the bigger option will very handy with the vertical grip. (Having this option is for me brilliant)

I went for the OP/TECH wrist strap and sling, still on the initial experience, but liking the freedom it provides.

(sorry for the lousy mobile pic)
Attached Images

05-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was so close to buying a K70 as a companion to my K1, but then the KP came out and that was it for me. Love it!

05-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
My preferred grip is also the middle one, I think the bigger option will very handy with the vertical grip. (Having this option is for me brilliant)

I went for the OP/TECH wrist strap and sling, still on the initial experience, but liking the freedom it provides.

(sorry for the lousy mobile pic)
I like the idea of the OP/TECH wrist strap. Maybe if and when the KP comes down in price a bit, I will try it again. I did like the quieter shutter and more advanced dust mechanism, e.g.
05-06-2017, 06:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
I was so close to buying a K70 as a companion to my K1, but then the KP came out and that was it for me. Love it!
However, the K-70 is a steal at the current price. The only thing slowing me down is, I really want all my bodies ti use the same battery.
05-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Elliot Quote
But I found three things that kept me from keeping it, and led me to buying the K-70.
Everyone has their own reasons and you did well in choosing the K-70 in accordance to those reasons.

When I upgraded from my K-30 to the K-70, the main reasons which led me to purchase the latter one instead of the K-3 II were:

1. Improved quality at high ISO
2. Built-In flash
3. Same batteries I already had (new) from my K-30s (which I always used with Eneloops)

The lower cost was also a plus and I can't be happier of my choice, the K-70 really is an excellent camera!
05-07-2017, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
People want to hold a camera with one hand. It isn't really a grip - it's a handle. Since most of my photography is done with legacy film camera the extent of my grip use is the LX Grip B. Were it not for the placement of the shutter button I'd be uncomfortable holding the KP.
What ever language you use to describe things, the fact is that near the end of the film era, Canon started a trend that all (D)SLR makers seem to feel obligated to follow, partly because people seem to have become dependent on this handle/grip. When I learned to use an adjustable camera, they were rectangle boxes and we learned to cradle them with both hands; since this change in design, people seem to be determined to grap/grip onto something with the right hand. I became more aware of this during the discussion on the Sony A9 Sony A9 Officially Announced Today - Page 8 - PentaxForums.com
05-07-2017, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot Portrait right hand up. I always have and it's more comfortable, but I always shoot with two hands, left hand cradling the baseplate and finger and thumb under the lens. I just always have done.
05-08-2017, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

You're forgetting the actual most important one:

Tilty flippy screen for ultimate selfies.
05-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The right-hand strap lug on the K-5, K-3 series is prevented from protruding and thereby increasing overall camera width, by the top section being beveled inward, so the lug mounted there comes out even with the outer side of the camera. To make room for all those top knobs on the KP, beveling in at the top rim was not an option. So the lug was moved rearwards. I do my camera-holding similarly to monochrome, so this will not be an issue for me.

Sometimes, in order to adjust to the ergonomics of a camera we really like the features of, we find it best or necessary to change some old habits. In doing so, it is possible that our new habits wind up being overall superior to our old ones. I almost never carry a DSLR around one-handed by the grip for any length of time. If I did, the strap sounds like a good idea. I have belt/shoulder holsters of three sizes, used according to which lenses I am dealing with. I use both the belt loops and shoulder strap to prevent wobbling and to better distribute weight. When not shooting, I simply slip the camera into its sheathe. Otherwise, I hold mostly with 2 hands, or in my left hand, often including around the lens.

The K-70 is outstanding for a DSLR in its class. It can for the most part satisfy needs of a professional user. Also of the amateur shooter who often uses the scene modes, as those are included too. The KP is not designed for the latter. It has advanced controls oriented for pro and experienced users in a lighter, more portable design, as well as advanced features like in camera RAW conversion from RAW to uncompressed TIFF, instead of just RAW to JPEG.