Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ist DS parts manual ??

I just bought an ist DS for not much money 'cos it had a broken screen. Otherwise it works just fine. Since it didn't cost much I'm happy to risk dismantling it for repair. I've taken note of the comments above concerning many pictures and labelling screws but it would be great to have some kind of picture or drawing of the insides before I start ..... and I promise to put some up here .... if I succeed!

02-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Better start asking the OP to take photos of step by step in case he turns out successful.
Another K100D super and an *ist DS might have new life in them.
02-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

..and welcome to the forums lacroixmj and roberrl!
Send a PM to the OP.
03-07-2010, 05:41 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A helpful link

I haven't taken the brave pills and attacked my DS yet but I did find this in further searching.

*.[ www.xdeltax.com ].* *.tutorials.****************************************&#

and this really is a brave guy !

03-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Most LCD screens are entire units and are normally relativity easy to replace. It is often just a matter of plugging them in, often without soldering anything.

If the LCD can be obtained cheap that doesn't strike me as too hard. A quote of $165 looks like about an hour of labour to me. So for a first timer you can probably do it in an afternoon.
03-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
I haven't taken the brave pills and attacked my DS yet but I did find this in further searching.

*.[ www.xdeltax.com ].* *.tutorials.****************************************&#

and this really is a brave guy !
Photos look kinda like HDRish.
03-11-2010, 04:20 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking for spare parts

I also have a broken LCD on an istD and am looking for spare parts. where is the best place to find what I need?A couple of sites have screens for the Optio rangebut none seem to cater for the ist. iIs it just too old?

James

03-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #23
Forum Member

Not too bad of a process to get the rear of the camera off, there's TEENY WEENY soldered wires in there that you don't normally find when taking common computer components apart, those solders come undone very easily, I changed the motherboard in my K20D last year, I think it was around 7 wires I had to unsolder and solder, patience! ... when poking around in there, you shouldn't have any wires to unsolder, the lcd is held in my 4 small phillips screws, on my K20d there was a ground wire fitted to one of the screws that falls under the motherboard and easy to miss and forget about, so if the K100D has any ground wires connected to those screws, be sure to get them back connected.
05-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Where you buy the motherboard ?... I need one for my pentax k100D... bring me some tips. Regards
03-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
You need to remove the bottom, pull the top up slightly (an ugly bunch of wires there), then you can remove the back completely. Once off, you should be able to figure out how to replace the actual LCD. The important things are don't install any battery, don't touch any part of the flash system, especially the capactor on the non-grip side of the camera, and don't "squeeze" those tiny wires on the top when assembling, also don't mix the screws up (sort them properly). Let me know your email address and I can send you the DS (structurally similar to the K100D) parts manual which you might find useful.
I do hope you are still around. I sent a PM for you to ask about LCD screen replacement.
Alan W.
03-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
I had an old Sony digicam that quit working and decided to take apart. I left the flash assembly alone until the very end, when I got curious. That will wake you up fairly sufficiently.
hehehe. I took apart a single use camera once, and I shocked myself twice in the span of two minutes.
11-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #27

K100D LCD Cover Broken

I have a similar situation with a K100D. The LCD works, but the glass cover is cracked. Does anyone know how/where to get this repaired? Parts? A service manual? Thanks.
11-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nighthawkjw Quote
I have a similar situation with a K100D. The LCD works, but the glass cover is cracked. Does anyone know how/where to get this repaired? Parts? A service manual? Thanks.
I'm sure that C.R.I.S. camera in Arizona can fix it, not certain what the cost would be. They're are the National Repair Center for Pentax. Link to their website, you could try calling them and asking.

Digital Camera Repair | C.R.I.S. A+ BBB Rating

Hope that's useful.
01-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #29

just like cars, im braking a k100d

As in title i have a half working pentax for parts if someone needs pieces. shutter mech faulty everything else is working.PCB, case, both lcd etc..
07-25-2012, 05:50 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Glad to have discovered this thread, as my old K100DS has somehow acquired a badly cracked and now non-working main LCD at the rear. Everything else works fine.

I also have an even older non-working ist DL2 tucked away somewhere, on which the power failed (so even fully charged batteries wouldn't show any charge on the meter). But the rear LCD is OK so...

Does anyone know if K100DS and ist DL2 use the same rear LCD with the same connectors, power requirements etc? Or how I could find out? Because if so, I'd like to try swapping LCD from istDL2 into my K100D super. I won't risk it unless I can find out if it's the same, for obvious reasons, but it does seem to have the same size and resolution, so there may be some hope. Many thanks for any clues anyone can give.

Last edited by Dave L; 07-25-2012 at 01:23 PM.