Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #1

How to replace broken LCD on Pentax K100D

Hi all,

I have a Pentax K100D, wife dropped it by accident and cracked the rear LCD screen. The camera still takes pictures fine, just the screen is cracked and you can't review photos, change menu options, etc.

I ordered a new LCD screen from Pentax for $65. I was receiving quotes from places to replace the screen anywhere from $170 to $250. I'm pretty technical and think I can figure it out.

Just curiuos if any other Pentaxian has replaced the LCD in the past and would offer any tips?

thanks much!
Jeff
Harrisburg, PA

08-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #2

I reccomend that you replace your wife!

Seriously, it shouldn't be so hard to change it. I supose it's out of warranty... Just be sure to take pictures of step by step, to be sure how to put it back together later. Because of not doing that, I "lost" my old Canon A75 few years ago
And I remember that everything inside is very tightly set... LCD itself is connected by small flat cable, so you just unscrew broken LCD, replace it with new, plug in the cable, an set everything back together.
And good luck!

Last edited by Spex; 08-13-2008 at 12:54 PM.
08-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

perfect time to jerry rig a system where you can flip your LCD in and out
08-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jab1617 Quote
Hi all,

I have a Pentax K100D, wife dropped it by accident and cracked the rear LCD screen.
sure...blame it on the wife

if you are going to venture on replacing the glass & LCD, it would be great to see your assy/disassy details.

08-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You need to remove the bottom, pull the top up slightly (an ugly bunch of wires there), then you can remove the back completely. Once off, you should be able to figure out how to replace the actual LCD. The important things are don't install any battery, don't touch any part of the flash system, especially the capactor on the non-grip side of the camera, and don't "squeeze" those tiny wires on the top when assembling, also don't mix the screws up (sort them properly). Let me know your email address and I can send you the DS (structurally similar to the K100D) parts manual which you might find useful.
08-14-2008, 05:30 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Alan
I truly appreciate the instructions and the manual. My email is: jab1617@yahoo.com
Thanks again,
Jeff
08-14-2008, 06:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
don't touch any part of the flash system, especially the capactor on the non-grip side of the camera,
I had an old Sony digicam that quit working and decided to take apart. I left the flash assembly alone until the very end, when I got curious. That will wake you up fairly sufficiently.

08-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Man, you blew the perfect opportunity to upgrade to a K20D!
08-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Man, you blew the perfect opportunity to upgrade to a K20D!
I know! Wife wouldn't let me, i should have said the pictures all come out blurry. With my skills, that is not a stretch either!
08-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

As mentioned by others, take pictures of every step (if possible) so putting it back together will be easier. Also it will be nice to see the process for future reference. Also do a drawing, mark where the screws go and tape each screw where it goes. Some are different in size, head shape, etc and mixing them will be a no no. Good luck.
08-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
I had an old Sony digicam that quit working and decided to take apart. I left the flash assembly alone until the very end, when I got curious. That will wake you up fairly sufficiently.

Apparently there's a hack out there on the intarweb where you can make a "taser" using the flash out of a disposal flash camera. I know it's possible to generate very high voltages with a small battery (tiny current, obviously). But yeah, it will still wake you right up!
08-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Apparently there's a hack out there on the intarweb where you can make a "taser" using the flash out of a disposal flash camera. I know it's possible to generate very high voltages with a small battery (tiny current, obviously). But yeah, it will still wake you right up!
Just need to buy yourself a decent size capacitor to do that. That's all the flash is using. We used to play tricks on each other when I worked at the arcade. One time one of the guys setup a charge capacitor in the key box for the morning crew... I heard they got a nice surprise when they reached in for the keys in the morning.
05-20-2009, 04:38 AM   #13

Follow up request. Were you able to do this successfully? How did the process go, any surprises? I have a K200d with several large scratches and want to find out if it would be worth doing or if I should just live with it.
05-28-2009, 07:45 AM   #14

Just fell over this thread....try to Google service manual K???d. You might find one.
01-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
Inactive Account

LCD Part number

Does anyone know how to get the part number for a Pentax K100D Super LCD.

Mike L