Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2007, 07:40 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
SD Card Capacity for K10D

I embarrassed to ask something I should know, but don't. What is the largest capacity SD card a K10D (firmward v 1.1) will support. I've looked in the manual but don't find that info; it's probably there staring right at me but I'm missing it nonetheless.

Thanks,

Jerry

02-18-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

whatever sdhc is.

they specified it for such. unsure how it will work with anything beyond 4gb
02-18-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I embarrassed to ask something I should know, but don't. What is the largest capacity SD card a K10D (firmward v 1.1) will support. I've looked in the manual but don't find that info; it's probably there staring right at me but I'm missing it nonetheless.

Thanks,

Jerry
Look on Page 221. If I'm reading it correctly, 4GB is the max.

Your interpretation may be different.

Ed
02-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

As an aside, does it matter the speed of the SD Card used?

02-18-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
This would depend with how you shoot. If you want more responsiveness, then go for a higher speed card. If you shoot once every few minutes, a regular card will do fine.
02-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well this is the wierd thing, I've not noticed any particular problems shooting bursts with normal cards.

However I may buy a Sandisk Extreme III as they're cheap now and see if it does actually make a difference.
02-18-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well this is the wierd thing, I've not noticed any particular problems shooting bursts with normal cards.

However I may buy a Sandisk Extreme III as they're cheap now and see if it does actually make a difference.
On my K100 which has a small buffer, there is a difference (150x cards are faster) when clearing the buffer. You can still shoot while the camera is clearing the buffer, but you can't go max shooting speed until the buffer is cleared.

My bad wording. Sorry for confusion.

02-18-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
Look on Page 221. If I'm reading it correctly, 4GB is the max.

Your interpretation may be different.

Ed
Yep, Ed, it's right there and the table clearly says 4GB. The sad part is I looked at that page a couple of times and yet looked right past the table. Geez, I am getting old.

Thanks,

Jer
02-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #9
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Yep, Ed, it's right there and the table clearly says 4GB. The sad part is I looked at that page a couple of times and yet looked right past the table. Geez, I am getting old.

Thanks,

Jer
Hey Jerry, glad to help. This is simply proof that two people can look at one thing and see it differently. Also, that there is more to answering a question than just "admonishing" the person to "read the Manual". There have been many times that I've read operating manuals several times and not picked up a key point.

BTW, where do you live in SE Texas?

Ed
02-18-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wrong ...

Page 221 states :

"Storage Medium - SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory CARD".

Which means that the camera complies with the SDHC standard, which means the upper limit is 32 GB (when available .....). I think that actually it's a FAT32 file system on the card.

The 4GB mentioned on page 221 is not a "limit" but just part of an explanation of the number of pic's a certain card will hold at a certain quality.
02-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #11
Inactive Account

If you search around these forums you will find a few people using 8GB HC-SD cards. Of course they have the proper firmware upgrade.
02-22-2007, 10:52 AM   #12
ISH

I have used an 8GB SDHC card made by Transcend in both my *istDl and my K10D, no problems at all. I use a 4GB Transcend 150X SD card though as my primary in my K10D.
02-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #13
Forum Member

Don't be shocked if at some point you have to buy a new SD card reader for the SDHC cards, a lot of the older readers can't address all the memory of the HC cards. I know some of the SDHC cards are shipping bundled with a reader for this very reason...

Also, I would always suggest a High Speed memory card in a DSLR, you want to have that faster write speed at your disposal.
02-23-2007, 06:51 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Get the fastest card you can afford, at the moment you can get a 2Gb Extreme III memory card for $55 AUD.

From what i have read and experienced the Sandisk Cards are constantly faster then their higher rated competitors cards.