Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Depth of field seen on LCD display

Looking for model of DSLR with fast auto focus, not expensive, when in aperture mode and you changed the f stop, you can see right away at LCD the clear and blurred focused object ( depth of field ) after changing the aperture value without ( any ) pressing the preview button. All menu are set in auto, no manual zooming and other options are displayed on LCD. Thank for your response.

05-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I do not have a definitive answer to a particular camera and the use of Live View and maybe the aperture stop down button but just some observations that you may find relevant.

Just shooting a scene and looking at the back of the screen to try and determine DoF sounds great but in practice just may prove to be less than satisfactory for a number of reasons.

The extremely small size of the camera LCD will tend to make even things that are soft look a lot sharper than they actually are, being noticeable when you are printing at a reasonable size and of course much more noticeable when viewing on a reasonable sized monitor. Zooming in on the LCD will not necessarily improve the matter.

You may find it just as effective to refer to DoF calculators and taking the predictions with a large pinch of salt until you have established in the field acceptable levels of sharpness throughout your image.

On the other hand you may find the process satisfactory enough but just throwing something else into the pot to consider and maybe temper expectations a little.
05-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not currently available without a button press on Pentax cameras, but the easiest way to get what you want would be to use a M42 lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why the LCD? Those who prefer a DSLR know that this design provides a direct view through the lens via an optical VF. That is what a DSLR is about. An LCD, like an EVF, is an electronic representation of reality, not a direct viewing of it, and as TonyW indicates, may not be the most accurate. The quickest, most accurate way of assessing DOF on location is still the old-fashioned DOF lever which stops down aperture to its set value. The view is of course dimmer, so it takes some getting used to.

Recent flagship Pentax APS-C models like the K-5 series and K-3 series, and of course the full-frame K-1, have such a lever right by the shutter release button for instant use. Older models such as the K-20D or K-10D do also. The new KP does not have that lever, but any one of the buttons which can be customized can be so assigned. Other current Pentax models have optical preview available as set via menu, but I have not yet tried this arrangement to comment on its effectiveness.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-12-2017 at 02:44 PM.
05-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
Looking for model of DSLR with fast auto focus, not expensive, when in aperture mode and you changed the f stop, you can see right away at LCD the clear and blurred focused object ( depth of field ) after changing the aperture value without ( any ) pressing the preview button. All menu are set in auto, no manual zooming and other options are displayed on LCD.
This is an extremely specific set of requirements and there is no DSLR that meets it that I know of... In fact it sounds closer to a phone camera than a DSLR.
05-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Not a DSLR but Panasonic cameras have a Constant Preview option that shows DOF in realtime. Works great in good light. Display can get laggy when shutter is 1/25 or slower.
05-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #7

Manual focusing on a pentax dslr while having both punched-in focus and optical preview on can really be challenging. I think you're asking for a k-01 mark ii.ü

05-13-2017, 06:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not currently available without a button press on Pentax cameras, but the easiest way to get what you want would be to use a M42 lens.
Thanks every body for your views. It seems like what I am looking is - the real time can be seen in viewfinder ( on the lens ) and not on LCD without a press button or menu to set. I want to know the camera body that uses this pentax 28 mm f2.8 lens M42, with or without an adapter, as I can see that D o F is seen in the lens and not on LCD. This help me decide to look for camera body that uses this m42 lens.
05-13-2017, 07:41 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you mount a M42 lens, the DoF will be reflected in both the viewfinder and in live view, since the aperture diaphragm has to br operated manually (i.e. it does not stop down only at the time of exposure, but rather as soon as you change the aperture via the aperture ring).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: