Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2017, 11:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
wheres that list?

---------- Post added 05-16-17 at 05:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skamalpreet Quote
Pentax 18-250mm
So I checked out the thread about DA lenses that work on the k1, this lens is listed as a negative, but there are others listed that way that I use.

Lots of these lenses were tested on film cameras,remember the firmware update giving us a 1:1 24mp crop.Some of those lenses work in that aspect.

05-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Frankly I am blown away with what Sony has managed to pack in into a $600 camera. Shooting at 11fps most of my shots are infocus. I shoot with a Sigma 19mm f2.8 prime, Sigma 30mm f1.4 prime, Sony 50mm f1.8 prime and the Sony 55-210 kit lens (which I intend to replace with a fast long tele zoom which in the Sony world are quite pricey).
If you're getting the results you want without much effort, then this is pretty much what you need. But yeah! Their lenses are really pricey.

I'm waiting for the next generation Pentax APS-C flagship to see where Pentax is heading. That's if it even comes to fruition. Hopefully AF performance is one of the major improvements if this camera is ever released. If not, I have other camera systems in mind already.
05-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #18
Forum Member

You will never await fast AF with old technology - screw drive lenses will never be fast - no matter what you do. You can choose K1, KP or whatever - never gonna happen (slight improvements only).
In the future we can expect slight improvements in regards to phase detect sensor and algorithmic approach of focusing and object tracking. True AF improvements can be achieved only with improved drive technology. For example as it has been shown with the PLM 55-300.
05-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

the autofocus did frustrate me
If it's really fast AF that "rocks yer boat", you really need IMHO to be looking at two other brands and even then... at their flagship cameras of either the Canon (EOS-1D X Mark II) or the Nikon (D5), both of which have superior AF capabilities.

It's all about the right tools for capturing the image, that's why so many here use multiple brands to get the job done.

05-18-2017, 02:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
If it's really fast AF that "rocks yer boat", you really need IMHO to be looking at two other brands and even then... at their flagship cameras of either the Canon (EOS-1D X Mark II) or the Nikon (D5), both of which have superior AF capabilities.

It's all about the right tools for capturing the image, that's why so many here use multiple brands to get the job done.
Nikon D500. Crop Sensor Speed Demon. Same AF system as the D5. 10 frames per second shooting. Expensive piece of kit.
05-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Lenses do make a difference, in addition to the camera. Some of my screw drive lenses are quicker than some SDM lenses. My Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 is quite fast. I've found my DA 18-135mm lens to be among the fastest and most sure on both my KS2 and K-5 IIs. It doesn't hunt, at least not unless under the most extreme circumstances. It nails focus right off and does so quickly and quietly. I generally use center-only, AF-S.
05-20-2017, 08:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Lenses really do make a difference, and I agree completely regarding the 18-135. The DC lens motor is very quick and accurate, and it's probably the nicest lens I have used in terms of autofocus. (I mostly use SEL-9 tracking but sometimes center spot or auto - 27 point)

The DC motor in my Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 is also much better than my screw drive Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. The Tamron 'stutters' a bit as it settles to a focus lock. It's not blindly hunting, but it definitely takes a couple steps to find focus. The Sigma is quicker and less jumpy, a well as being much quieter. (But the Sigma has flare and overexposure issues with bright lights in the frame though, so I'm still torn on deciding which one to sell.)

My son is also prone to sudden changes in direction and I do miss some shots. I haven't tried Sony so I can't compare, but I'm overall okay with the AF performance of my K-3 when I use back button autofocus with 9 point tracking around the center focus spot.

If you ever find yourself pulling out your Pentax for any reason (specific lenses maybe) you should hang onto it. If the Sony is treating you well and the Pentax is just gathering dust, you're probably better off selling it. If you ever do go for a newer Pentax APS-C or full frame body you'll probably want newer lenses with better autofocus capabilities anyway.