Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2017, 03:02 AM   #1

Switch?

***Long Post Alert***

I started my DSLR journey with the Pentax K200 coupled with the 18-250 mm at the time. This was 2009. I have had a good run subsequently graduating onto the K5 in 2013. Thanks to some great advise from fellow Pentaxians on the forum.

While I enjoyed shooting the Pentax at all times, the autofocus did frustrate me, especially on the K5 with fast lenses. However, not to the extent of giving up Pentax altogether.

Last year we had a little one and everything changed ! Literally everything To the point that the good old K5 cannot keep pace with the sudden movements of the little one.

In line with the Mrs. advise, i decided to in for a mirrorless (small and compact ) Sony A6000 rather than a Nikon for my autofocus needs. It would have been difficult to carry two kids at the same time (read Camera bag = second kid)

Frankly I am blown away with what Sony has managed to pack in into a $600 camera. Shooting at 11fps most of my shots are infocus. I shoot with a Sigma 19mm f2.8 prime, Sigma 30mm f1.4 prime, Sony 50mm f1.8 prime and the Sony 55-210 kit lens (which I intend to replace with a fast long tele zoom which in the Sony world are quite pricey).

All said, I still love shooting Pentax !

I have the following Pentax gear
The K5
Pentax DA 50mm f1.8
Pentax DA 35mm f2.4
Pentax A 50mm f1.7
Pentax 18-250mm
Sigma 50 - 150 f2.8 (a prised possession)
Sigma 18-50 f2.8
Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6

Questions

1) Million Dollar Question - Should I hold onto my Pentax collection in the anticipation that the autofocus on one of the next iterations would be good enough? I checked the Pentax KP with the 70-200 f2.8 at a Pentax launch event in Australia and the autofocus still lags behind the competition.

2) Are any of the lenses I have compatible with Pentax FF? I understand the K1's autofocus is superior to all the other models. I could probably invest in a used K1 (In Australia even that is an expensive proposition)

3) Should I ditch my beloved Pentax gear and completely move onto Sony? Another expensive proposition but difficult decisions needs to made in the interests of greater good

I am sure fellow Pentax brethren with provide me sane advise as they have done in the past.

05-15-2017, 03:36 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From your post I see that all your attention is completely drawn on AF performance, this is what matters more to you.

Since Sony is pleasing you and you have already invested in its system and OTOH you tested Kp + DFA* 70-200/2.8 and it doesn't reach your standards, I can't see what exactly is the question... It seems to me like an already taken decision.

PS: I won't bother tell you my experiences or try to influence your decision, what really matters is your experience.
05-15-2017, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Comparing the AF on a Pentax model from 2010 to a 2014 Sony isn't a balanced comparison. Even the 2012 release of the K-5II with a new AF module showed significant improvement over the K-5. I have tried the K-3II and it is noticeably faster than my K-5II.

If the Sony meets your needs and you're happy with it, please feel free to sell off your Pentax gear here on Pentax Forums and invest in more Sony glass. You have a few lenses that Pentaxians on this site would love to pick up at a bargain:-)
05-15-2017, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #4

Iīm pretty much agree with Redpit. Nevertheless i can tell you that i had the sony a6500 which has a crazy fast autofocus, but i ended up selling it because of the body size (too small for my hands for a long period shooting), and now have a KP + fujix100f and i donīt have any complaint on the AF. I donīt do sports or wildfire pics though.

05-15-2017, 07:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I dunno. I've never had much trouble with the Pentax autofocus. It has always seemed fine to me. Maybe because I've never tried a modern Sony.
05-15-2017, 07:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skamalpreet Quote
***Long Post Alert***

I started my DSLR journey with the Pentax K200 coupled with the 18-250 mm at the time. This was 2009. I have had a good run subsequently graduating onto the K5 in 2013. Thanks to some great advise from fellow Pentaxians on the forum.

While I enjoyed shooting the Pentax at all times, the autofocus did frustrate me, especially on the K5 with fast lenses. However, not to the extent of giving up Pentax altogether.

Last year we had a little one and everything changed ! Literally everything To the point that the good old K5 cannot keep pace with the sudden movements of the little one.

In line with the Mrs. advise, i decided to in for a mirrorless (small and compact ) Sony A6000 rather than a Nikon for my autofocus needs. It would have been difficult to carry two kids at the same time (read Camera bag = second kid)

Frankly I am blown away with what Sony has managed to pack in into a $600 camera. Shooting at 11fps most of my shots are infocus. I shoot with a Sigma 19mm f2.8 prime, Sigma 30mm f1.4 prime, Sony 50mm f1.8 prime and the Sony 55-210 kit lens (which I intend to replace with a fast long tele zoom which in the Sony world are quite pricey).

All said, I still love shooting Pentax !

I have the following Pentax gear
The K5
Pentax DA 50mm f1.8
Pentax DA 35mm f2.4
Pentax A 50mm f1.7
Pentax 18-250mm
Sigma 50 - 150 f2.8 (a prised possession)
Sigma 18-50 f2.8
Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6

Questions

1) Million Dollar Question - Should I hold onto my Pentax collection in the anticipation that the autofocus on one of the next iterations would be good enough? I checked the Pentax KP with the 70-200 f2.8 at a Pentax launch event in Australia and the autofocus still lags behind the competition.

2) Are any of the lenses I have compatible with Pentax FF? I understand the K1's autofocus is superior to all the other models. I could probably invest in a used K1 (In Australia even that is an expensive proposition)

3) Should I ditch my beloved Pentax gear and completely move onto Sony? Another expensive proposition but difficult decisions needs to made in the interests of greater good

I am sure fellow Pentax brethren with provide me sane advise as they have done in the past.
Loving Pentax as a brand does not justify running 2 systems. If you find Sony has shortcoming in some areas where Pentax shines keep the Pentax, otherwise just make the full switch.
05-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I would say that comparing a 2011 Pentax K-5 model to a more recent camera make of another brand would not reveal a fair comparison of technology. The Sony A6000 is a 2015 model.

The Pentax K-3II is a 2015 dslr model. I have used it for wildlife and sports with success.

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-15-2017 at 09:26 AM.
05-15-2017, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I sometimes shoot indoor adult club roller hockey, which moves very fast. I don't have a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 but I've long had the Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 FF lens. I need the f/2.8 to get enough shutter speed for stopping action for clarity. For whatever reason, I was not getting quick enough or accurate enough response with it on the K-5, missing too many shots, but it has been fine with the K-5 IIs. I've read users saying the K-3 is yet better. But I am satisfied.

I don't do much burst shooting, but train myself to be quick on the trigger, and also prefocus on the general area of the action whenever possible so AF distance range does not have to move so far. I am an old film shooter, so I am used to making every shot count, a habit which has carried over to digital. Nothing can replace a quick eye and finger! Even with spray and pray burst shooting, motion can still occur in between frames, and also having high enough shutter speed is very important.

If your Sony setup is successful for you with that particular use, it seems logical to keep using it and reserve the Pentax equipment for other situations.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-15-2017 at 12:57 PM.
05-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
From your post I see that all your attention is completely drawn on AF performance, this is what matters more to you.
Yes, it does. There is no way I can predict which way the one year old is going to move / turn. If a tool can help me do that I am up for it.

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Since Sony is pleasing you and you have already invested in its system and OTOH you tested Kp + DFA* 70-200/2.8 and it doesn't reach your standards, I can't see what exactly is the question... It seems to me like an already taken decision.

PS: I won't bother tell you my experiences or try to influence your decision, what really matters is your experience.
That is essentially what I need. If it was an already taken decision I wouldn't be hopping onto the forum.

---------- Post added 05-16-2017 at 11:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I sometimes shoot indoor adult club roller hockey, which moves very fast. I don't have a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 but I've long had the Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 FF lens. I need the f/2.8 to get enough shutter speed for stopping action for clarity. For whatever reason, I was not getting quick enough or accurate enough response with it on the K-5, missing too many shots, but it has been fine with the K-5 IIs. I've read users saying the K-3 is yet better. But I am satisfied.

I don't do much burst shooting, but train myself to be quick on the trigger, and also prefocus on the general area of the action whenever possible so AF distance range does not have to move so far. I am an old film shooter, so I am used to making every shot count, a habit which has carried over to digital. Nothing can replace a quick eye and finger! Even with spray and pray burst shooting, motion can still occur in between frames, and also having high enough shutter speed is very important.

If your Sony setup is successful for you with that particular use, it seems logical to keep using it and reserve the Pentax equipment for other situations.
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
The Pentax K-3II is a 2015 dslr model. I have used it for wildlife and sports with success.
Sounds like trying the K3 or the K3II may be a good option. Pity neither of these were available during the KP launch event in Sydney. Will have to find someone who owns one and I could borrow from.

---------- Post added 05-16-2017 at 11:19 AM ----------

Any thoughts on this?
05-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will say the autofocus on my K-1 is much better than my K3. However even the K-1 still lags behind in overall autofocus performance. Also the frame on the K-1 is much slower than the K3. This is the trade off for a 36megapixel full frame sensor. As for your lenses, the DA 50, DA 35, and A 50 will work on the K-1 with no issues. To be fair you really need a modern lens with a DC motor paired to a flagship body for real comparison. I have never used anything but Pentax AF so I do not know how different it really is. That being said, if AF speed and accuracy is your only importance then maybe a switch is what you need. There is nothing wrong with switching systems if you feel it will make you happier in the long run. I will admit the newer Micro 4/3 systems are becoming more appealing as I get older and weight of gear becomes more of an issue.
05-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Pentax DA 50mm f1.8Pentax DA 35mm f2.4Pentax A 50mm f1.7Pentax 18-250mmSigma 50 - 150 f2.8 (a prised possession)Sigma 18-50 f2.8Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6
ALL, work in crop mode on K1...35 has a good reputation for FF,50iffy(depending on who you talk to) but I like it.A50 is fine too.Im not sure about the DA zoom, it may just vignette at the wide end ??? or all the way thru the focal range like the 18-135.The Sigmas should work on FF.(all mine do) But the 10-20 vignettes below 14, so its still useable.If you put a 1.4 TC on it then you have 14-28(no vignette)but lose a stop.

Nothing wrong with having multiple systems, all the K mount lenses will adapt to your Sony.

Last edited by surfar; 05-15-2017 at 11:42 PM.
05-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both of my DA 50 and DA 35 work just fine on the K-1. The DA 50 will vignette at f1.8 but so does my DFA 28-105 wide open.
05-15-2017, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

With 2 kids... :P I think you will be better off with a much smaller system and has better AF. And just like Redpit told you, you had already made your choice when you bought your A6000. You nerfed the weight and AF issues already.

Re FF upgrade, these are the only lenses you can use effectively and you will be missing on the telephoto side/range. FF is good but consider your load (plus your two kids).
Pentax DA 50mm f1.8
Pentax DA 35mm f2.4
Pentax A 50mm f1.7

I will wait for your items on the marketplace. :P
05-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
these are the only lenses you can use effectively
How do you know?
05-15-2017, 10:43 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
How do you know?
Aren't those not on the list for APS-C lenses only?