Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2008, 01:14 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K10d and extension tubes

Hi to all,

I have a K10D with Sigma 17-70 lens and I recently bought tube extension to try out the macro field with my camera....of course the tubes were cheap(not the kenko kit), and they don't have any contacts to gain full access to the lens features. I have read about this stuff, but the thing is, even in full manual mode I cannot use any feature(the aperture settings would be a grate help).

My question is that because the lens don't have a manual aperture ring(it's auto) I can't use my extension tubes? the thing is that with them the aperture closes and I can't take any shot

I'm considering a DIY job to get some contacts in place....

Please tell me your experience with extension tubes, I really like to get this thing working

08-14-2008, 01:36 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
would be tough to do a DIY contacts job i'd say.

the only two choices I can see are
a) forking out for the kenko's
b) buying a cheap manual lens

for item (b) check out the market place forum on this site. There are heaps of oldies going for peanuts.

I have the cheapie extension tubes and use my old manual 50 f/1.7 on them no probs at all.
08-14-2008, 01:50 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Indeed an oldie is a good idea, and to say a 50mm/f.1.7 is a good lens.
About the DIY project....I'll see what I can do, first I have to document a little more. Wouldn't want to brake something....
08-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Tamron 70-300 has an aperture ring, works OK with extensions. A manual 50 works better though.

08-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
and a manual 50 will have a much larger aperture than the 75-300 - much better for focusing, as you lose some light using the extension tubes.

I'd just get a manual 50 for relatively cheap. (even keh.com has them right now starting for around $70, and the f/1.4 versions for around $100)
08-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
Inactive Account

When using extension tubes (or "fully manual lenses") you need to make sure that an (custom?) option called something with "Aperture Ring" is enabled.
I can't remember exactly what it is called, I borrowed a K10D (and I don't have my own Pentax, yet) a while back and when I mounted an old/fully manual lens, it wouldn't take any pictures. I remember reading something on the net about it and just went through the menus and found it...
After that it worked fine, except that the camera didn't showed/record the aperture.

It also cured the problems my friend had when using extension tubes (same symptom) (funny enough, the salesmen who soled him the camera didn't know about this).

This will of course not fix the problem with setting the aperture on that lens, but if you are lucky the "default" is the largest aperture (The aperture will still close when taking a picture, as that's an mechanical system [the extension tubes should transfer it out to the lens...])

Hope that helps! :?)
08-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by andyar85 Quote
Hi to all,

I have a K10D with Sigma 17-70 lens and I recently bought tube extension to try out the macro field with my camera....of course the tubes were cheap(not the kenko kit), and they don't have any contacts to gain full access to the lens features. I have read about this stuff, but the thing is, even in full manual mode I cannot use any feature(the aperture settings would be a grate help).

My question is that because the lens don't have a manual aperture ring(it's auto) I can't use my extension tubes? the thing is that with them the aperture closes and I can't take any shot

I'm considering a DIY job to get some contacts in place....

Please tell me your experience with extension tubes, I really like to get this thing working
You can buy a 1.4x teleconverter with all the contacts and remove the glass in the extender. It usually just uncrews. Voila, an extension tube with contacts.