Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2017, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Upgrading from SLR to DSLR

Hello from Iowa. I own a Pentax P3 (yes, 1980's with film). Loved that camera. Looked at the K70 as an upgrade and it seemed too much camera for me. Want more than a point and shoot, must have a good viewfinder and some nice features but not something so complex that I spend more time learning the camera than actually taking pics. I will never been a photography enthusiast or expert; just want a solid, reliable, water-resistant camera with features I can master somewhat easily that takes good pictures.

I would use the camera for plant/garden bed photographs, people pictures and the usual vacation pictures. The cheap two DSLR cameras I have are particularly terrible at long shots, like the Smokey Mountains, downriver view of the Mississippi River, Lake Superior shots and the like, although I'm not really interested in being a landscape photographer.

Am considering the K3, especially since it has a K-type mount for lenses; have Sigma lenses that came with my P3. So, would appreciate some guidance. Is K3 a reasonable choice or is there another Pentax that might be more suited to my situation? What about the issue of using my lenses from my manual P3?

Thanks for any advice. I am excited to buy a new Pentax but want make the right choice instead of needing a do-over.

Trish in Iowa

05-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the K-70 was too much camera the K-3 will be way too much camera. The K-70 at least has scene modes to go along with the Green mode...
05-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Maybe a KS2 ?
05-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-70 can be effectively used in different modes just per basic instructions from the manual. The "green" (automated) mode gives you all automatic settings in case you have to use it. I have not had one due to already having a K-5IIs and K-3II, but it may be a nice choice for you. If your lenses are K mount, which most are, they would be useable with almost any of the Pentax K mount dslrs. You might want to consider the KS2 if you are looking to spend less, but I would still recommend the K-70 since it has the later technology for/in its features. In case you want to get the most advanced dslr other than the full frame K-1, then I would recommend the K-3II, but it seems that you are more interested in something like the K-70 or KS2 level, which would give you nice imagery even so, with the K-70 being capable of more detail than the KS2.

The K-70 and KS2 both are K mount (KAF), so they would utilize K mount lenses that you have, just as the K-3 or K-3II would.

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-15-2017 at 07:01 PM.
05-15-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KS-2 would be a good choice. The K3 is a flagship DSLR with all the bells and whistles. Another option is a used K50 which can be purchased normally for a good price, I just sold my K50 and two older lenses after getting the K-1. The K50 will give you everything you need.
05-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Difficult Choice Quote
Hello from Iowa. I own a Pentax P3 (yes, 1980's with film). Loved that camera. Looked at the K70 as an upgrade and it seemed too much camera for me. Want more than a point and shoot, must have a good viewfinder and some nice features but not something so complex that I spend more time learning the camera than actually taking pics. I will never been a photography enthusiast or expert; just want a solid, reliable, water-resistant camera with features I can master somewhat easily that takes good pictures.

I would use the camera for plant/garden bed photographs, people pictures and the usual vacation pictures. The cheap two DSLR cameras I have are particularly terrible at long shots, like the Smokey Mountains, downriver view of the Mississippi River, Lake Superior shots and the like, although I'm not really interested in being a landscape photographer.

Am considering the K3, especially since it has a K-type mount for lenses; have Sigma lenses that came with my P3. So, would appreciate some guidance. Is K3 a reasonable choice or is there another Pentax that might be more suited to my situation? What about the issue of using my lenses from my manual P3?

Thanks for any advice. I am excited to buy a new Pentax but want make the right choice instead of needing a do-over.

Trish in Iowa
All DSLRs are feature-packed these days. The nice thing is that there are fully automated modes for almost all the settings, so those can lend you a hand while you're learning the ropes. The K-70 is a great place to start, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the advice. Now it sounds like my decision will be KS2 or K70. So glad I asked.

Trish

05-15-2017, 09:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes go the K-70, I'm sure it is a capable camera and you can always use M and choose your own aperture, ISO and shutter

The DA 35 f2.4 is also a great little lens, but not weather proof. The 16-85 perhaps

I like the DFA 50 macro for flowers.
05-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Difficult Choice Quote
I own a Pentax P3 (yes, 1980's with film). Loved that camera
You obviously love your film camera. Best of luck with your new choice.
05-16-2017, 01:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nothing stopping you from getting a camera, using it with default settings and learning as you go. P and M work exactly the same way as on your P3
I'd suggest going for the K-S2 if possible, the tilty screen is extremely useful.
05-16-2017, 03:31 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go for the KS2 or K70 based on which feels best in your hands. I bought my K3 2 years ago, but if I were to buy new right now I would settle for the K70, as I would find the flippy screen very useful.
Whichever you plump for just use the automatic settings until you find yourself getting more adventurous. I would advise experimenting which which scene mode you find most pleasing to the eye eg landscape, chrome, bright, vivid etc. to start with, unless you find the default settings perfectly ok. These settings dramatically change the appearance of your pictures.
05-16-2017, 03:34 AM   #12
Pentaxian

A lot actually depends on lenses as much as it does on camera. You say you had cheap dslr's Presumably Canon or Nikon? Pentax will have a better brighter viewfinder but not as good as on a film slr and wether old sigma lenses from the eighties will perform well? You could check our lens database ( Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database ). They will probably be listed there. The ideal step from film to digital would of course be Full frame. You never need worry about focal length equivalancy then (Your 28mm wide angle lens becomes more of a 42mm normal lens eqyuivalent on a crop camera). But it is more expensive both body and any new lenses cost a lot (except for the 28-105 which is very reasonably priced). There is plenty of older glass around but most zooms won't perform very well on digital and the ones that do will be the old FA* zooms which are still expensive. (Though there are some little gems around like the F35-70 which is very cheap and a sharp lens.) I would suggest to get at least a kit lens e.g. the DA 18-135 with a K-70 or a K-3. The K-3 is a better more solid camera and it will probably last longer than a K-70. You need not worry about complicated settings. Just controlling aperture shutter and ISO is easy enough.
05-16-2017, 05:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I moved from Pentax film cameras to a K100D back in 2007 or thereabout. I had been seriously interested in photography in the 1970s/80s, but lost interest and only came back to it as I needed photos for a website. I chose a Pentax because I had manual K and screw mount lenses that I could use. In practice, they have been little used, but they can produce good results.

For the first several years of owning the K100D it was only used intermittently(it did have battery issues) and I largely left the camera in one of the auto modes and accepted what came out.

The battery issues became so bad that on needing new web photos, I bought a K30. Despite understanding the basics of photography I found the manual overwhelming, largely because of the great number of options and how you got to them. So, again, the camera was largely left on an auto or scene mode.

Gradually, I wanted better results from situations that the auto modes did not best deal with and I started to expand my knowledge of all the options, along the way acquiring a K50 as I'd always preferred having 2 camera bodies. My interest in photography was re-kindled, with impending retirement, and I now felt much more comfortable with the range of adjustments possible..

Earlier this year I bought a K3ii and this undoubtedly can produce higher quality images and it feels a much higher quality camera in the hand. However, it doesn't have built in flash, and nor does it have all the scene modes which I relied upon whilst getting to know the ins and outs of the camera controls.

From the description of your level of interest and what you take photos of, I would have thought that the K70 provides an easier way in to getting good results and then the ability to develop further if you wish. I haven't used a KS2 so can't comment on that model.
05-16-2017, 06:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why not look into a used or New Old Stock K-30/K-50/K-500? I think there are still some around on eBay and Amazon.
05-16-2017, 06:42 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I shoot with a K-5 II and have some old lenses that do not offer in-body aperture control (read: aperture ring only). I really like having a top LCD for quick evaluation of settings and the light meter. I also really like the Depth of Field preview function when using these older lenses. I find that this gives me a more accurate and useful evaluation of how well I've set the camera and lens up as far as lighting. Finally, having an ISO button for quick control of ISO to be very useful as well. These are things that make old manual glass easier to use. I personally would rather buy a used camera body than a new one that lacked these features.