Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2008, 04:44 AM   #1

Compatable with 35mm Lens

Does any one know if the 35mm lenses are compatable with any of the dslrs because if so that would be my main saleing point on them, also i am still a mid range user i am a novice user i was wondering which one has the most bang for its buck

(i just started looking into dslrs but i have a pentax k-1000 and zm)

thanks much

08-14-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a bit difficult to understand your question, but I assume that since you have a K1000 you are asking if old manual lenses can be mounted on the Pentax DSLR.

All the versions of Pentax K-mount (pentax bayonet) are compatible with Pentax DSLR (*ist, K10D, K100D, K20D, K200D)

The old M42 thread mount (also known as Pentax screw mount) are also compatible via an adaptor. Please go and look in the forum to know which one ot buy and where to buy it.

The Canon, Nikon and Leica (M39) are not compatible.

Shake Reduction (SR) can be used with the oldest manual lenses, please have a look in the forum ressources to know how to do it.
08-14-2008, 04:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks i was just wondering because i have a k-1000 and a zx-10 sorry about that i messed up the letters i just got it recently and bettween the two cameras i have 2 telephotos, one wide angle, 2 2xmultiplyers, and two standard lenses that is alot of money to have invested if i would not beable to attach at least my newer zx-10 lenses

thanks
even thought you didnt know exactly what i was saying you answered my first question i guess the second will have to be answered by myself lol
08-14-2008, 05:04 AM   #4

Most bang for it's buck, I guess it would be K10D. K200D is very similar (same sensor, weather proof body), with advantage in somewhat better JPEG in-camera processing and using of AA batteries, but K10D is far superior in ergonomy, due to more functions via buttons on body. K10D also hase better buffer, while K200D hardly has any (just 4 jpeg')...
All that if K20D is not too expensive for you

08-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hopefully, you have also learned about the "crop factor" and realize that all of your lenses will appear to have changed focal length when mounted on any current DSLR. If you have a 35, it will look a little longer than a 50. If you have a 135, it will look like a 200. Everything is multiplied by 1.5. If you aren't already familiar with this, I suggest searching on the term "crop factor" and expect to spend quite a while reading and thinking about it before it starts to really make sense - this is a source of *major* confusion for people coming from 35mm.

Bottom line: your lenses will work, and still be quite useful, but you may find they aren't the right set of lenses any more. You'll have more telephoto lenses than you thought, and fewer (or no) wide angle lenses.
08-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

meatloaf, I have the same thing K1000 and the ZX-10. Both sets of lenses work very good in my new K10D. The ZX-10 is an autofocus as well as the K10D. The lenses from the k1000 will work as manual focus in the DSLR. As mentioned above, the only consideration will be the crop factor (1.5 times). Good luck with your decision.
08-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
Ups, to late with respond, admin's please delet this post : )
hit "edit"

select the "delete" tab
08-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by meatloaf Quote
Does any one know if the 35mm lenses are compatable with any of the dslrs because if so that would be my main saleing point on them,
This question has been answered. Older Pentax K-mount lenses going back to the mid-1970s can be used easily with any of the Pentax digital SLRs. Auto-focus might not work with all of them, but shake reduction will (if you have a body that has SR built in).

QuoteQuote:
also i am still a mid range user i am a novice user i was wondering which one has the most bang for its buck
If you can find a K10D, get it. The K200D came to market more recently but it's not an improvement on the K10D, which should now be available for the same price or less. The K10D's ergonomics are important, especially the two e-dials. The K10D is EASIER to use than the K200D. As for the batteries, this seems to be a religious matter with some folks. Let me just say that, when I first moved to the K10D, I was not happy about having to use a proprietary battery. I have changed my mind about that and doubt that I will ever buy another camera that uses AA batteries. Buy an extra battery for the K10D and you'll never need to worry.

Will

08-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
The K10D's ergonomics are important, especially the two e-dials. The K10D is EASIER to use than the K200D.
I always feel compelled to point out that depending on what you actually do with your camera, the difference ay or may not be worth much. Shooting in the most automatic modes all the time, there is no difference. Even shooting in P, Av, or Tv, there isn't any difference as to setting exposure. In M mode, there is an extra button press required to set aperture, but that button is right next to the shutter, making the process in practice no more cumbersome.

The main difference comes in if you are often changing your AF mode (continuous versus single, auto-select focus point versus user-select versus center only) and/or exposure mode (matrix versus center weighted versus spot), which is indeed a pain the butt with the K200D and similar cameras. If on the other hand you are happy leaving these set on single/center/center respectively all the time and wouldn't be changing them much even if you could (eg, if you are like me), then the differences start melting.

Really, for me, the *only* thing respect in which the K10D's ergonomics would provide a significant advantage is setting ISO via OK+dial, although I gather that requires installing a firmware update that removes some other features some folks find useful. But - again, *for me* - that wasn't worth giving up the smaller size / lighter weight, the AA batteries, the significantly quieter shutter, the fact that the K200D is still supported and thus is more likely to get firmware updates, etc. JPEG shooters have even more reason to consider preferring the K200D engine, which is apparently much improved (RAW differences are relaively minimal, but exist too due to the different ADC). But it's admittedly a toss-up in most respects.

Oh, and FWIW, I doubt a film user is going to be impressed with complaints about how hard it is to change ISO on the K200D :-)
08-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I always feel compelled to point out that depending on what you actually do with your camera, the difference ay or may not be worth much. Shooting in the most automatic modes all the time, there is no difference. Even shooting in P, Av, or Tv, there isn't any difference as to setting exposure. In M mode, there is an extra button press required to set aperture, but that button is right next to the shutter, making the process in practice no more cumbersome.
I want to say up front that there is indeed a large element of personal preference here. I also want to acknowledge that ergonomics are trumped by image quality. I gather that the Canon 5D has lousy ergonomics but I would have been happy to have one anyway.

That said, I disagree with what Marc says above. I used to shoot M pretty much all the time, and in M, the two e-dials are extremely useful. But sometimes I like to use P mode on the K10D/K20D (hypermanual). The distinction between the two e-dials is useful any time you have to change the aperture. Without it, you have to hold down a modifier button with your thumb and move the front dial, which I find awkward. I like my *ist DS's size for certain kinds of things, but I don't like to shoot with it because I'm so fond of having both e-dials right there all the time. MUCH easier.

Will
08-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
the two e-dials are extremely useful.
No doubt, as as you say, preference *are* personal. Actually, it's not even about preference here - there is indeed no doubt in my mind that the K10D controls *are* better than the K200D, and all else equal, I'd love to have the dial. I'm just pointing out that depending on how you use your camera, the differences in practice might not be significant for some people as they are for others, so they may not trump other concerns such as the ones I mentioned that carried more weight with me.

In particular, I often hear people talk about having to wade through menus on the single-dial cameras, but I swear, in over three years with the DS and now the K200D, the only things I use the menu for are formatting memory cards, changing time zones when traveling, and sensor cleaning.
08-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by meatloaf Quote
Thanks i was just wondering because i have a k-1000 and a zx-10 sorry about that i messed up the letters i just got it recently and bettween the two cameras i have 2 telephotos, one wide angle, 2 2xmultiplyers, and two standard lenses that is alot of money to have invested if i would not beable to attach at least my newer zx-10 lenses

thanks
even thought you didnt know exactly what i was saying you answered my first question i guess the second will have to be answered by myself lol
Keep in mind that older manual-focus lenses may have reduced exposure metering functionality. If it has an "A" position on the aperture ring you will have full metering capabilities. If it only has numbers, you will lose quite a few exposure control functions but the lens will still work.

To my knowledge, all autofocus lenses have the proper aperture control features.

Also, some older film lenses will have reduced contrast when used on a DSLR. The Sigma 28-200 that my family used on our PZ-70 was awful on my K10D. On the other hand, my old SMC Pentax-M 50/2.0 is excellent (albeit hard to use due to being in the "no A setting" category).