Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2008, 04:15 AM   #16
Inactive Account

1 year here with my k10d's. Absolutely my favourite camera ever...and still learning new things about it.

Great read.

c[_]

08-15-2008, 04:53 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Brilliant post!

I had a K10D for about 18 months and actually just stayed in the honeymoon phase :-) The K20D that replaced it, though, has me a bit disillusioned already (in for repair).

Still, there is so much truth in what you say - you have to get to know your equipment. Sometimes there is a real problem but a lot of times we simply haven't learned all the quirks yet.

Thanks for this post, it's nice to see others living the same adventure!
08-15-2008, 05:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ukbluetooth Quote
Thank you all for your kind comments. Really very much appreciated.

Be assured I won’t be trading her in for a younger model just yet a while.

Gary

When can we see the pitter patter of little K200D shuttering around

cheers
08-15-2008, 05:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I'll be ready to move up from my K10D when I stop making stupid mistakes with my exposure settings. It seems its never the camera and always me. It is going to take me sometime to outgrow the K10D (maybe never).

08-15-2008, 07:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

An enjoyable and funny read mate. Hope you and your beloved K10D have many more happy memories and experiences in the years ahead.

Come to think of it, me and my K10D are approaching our 1st anniversary; thanks for reminding me. (guess I'm a typical male, forgetting important dates like that)
08-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #21

Great tale of a relationship. I've been dating my K10D for only a couple of months. Since my memories of my old 35mm Pentax are fond, I first thought my new relationship wasn't as fullfilling. Then I compared some old photos, suitably scanned into digital clothes, and guess what? My new girl is just as sharp (or dull if I want to say it that way) as the old gal? The old new comparison has helped my relationship grow faster.
08-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
My relationship with K10D starts today
The first weekend of our honey moon is coming

Just upgraded from K100D - I still haven't decided if I'm gonna sell it, I'm quite tempted to do the IR conversion...

08-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
I'll be ready to move up from my K10D when I stop making stupid mistakes with my exposure settings. It seems its never the camera and always me. It is going to take me sometime to outgrow the K10D (maybe never).
You too, huh? I did pick up the K20D, and absolutely love it btw, but it isn't a replacement for the K10D. And it certainly won't be a real upgrade until the guy in the mirror upgrades his skill.
My most obvious failing is thinking about the ISO and remembering that I can adjust it on the fly. Sure, I can blame it on my K1000 days and before that the years with the Kodak 126 Instamatic. But the reality is I'm just not terribly good, yet.

I'm heading up to Green Mountain Falls, CO next week for several days. The first time I went there in '76 I had a limp from being in a full-leg cast for 3mos and when I came home I was walking right again. Perhaps I can go this time with an exposure limp and come back with some renewed competence and confidence?
08-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I've had my K10D since November 2007. Due to the press of work I didn't use it too much until early July/08.

But what a workout it has got since then. I am now retired and I use it for photographing hot rods, retros, customs (all cars) at car shows, nature shooting, especially large birds like Pelicans, all sorts of nature shots, etc.

I probably average 350-500 shots per week.

I have the Pentax 26-45 Zoom and 55-300 Pentax zoom, along with my old (new in '84) Pentax 'A' Zoom 35-105 and Pentax 360 flash.

These two DA lenses are great, pin point sharp, accurate and fast auto focusing.

I have also bought the battery grip, well worth it for extra storage , battery and gripping area for my large hands.

I bought my first Pentax S1a, SLR in '68, when I worked in the publishing industry and needed a good 35 mm camera. Since then I've bought and still have, a '74 Pentax ES 11, '81 K1000.

The new K10D so far is a wonderful machine, lots of potential that I'm still just learning about. BTW, I recommend this fine machine.

I also recommend buying two books, which have helped me a lot:

- the Magic Lantern Guide "Pentax K10D, by Peter Burian and Pentax K10D by Yvonne Bourque. I constantly review these two books along with the manual, to learn and get the most out of the K10D.