Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
and 99% of people who use K100/K200 are using only one, central, AF sensor... people who tend to use other 10 points are usually equipped w/ K10 or K20.
well unfortunately only my kit lens has the ability to use spot metering as all other lenses I have are M lenses. So that people know older lenses, non AF I believe, are only able to use center metering, at least with my k100...

08-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
well unfortunately only my kit lens has the ability to use spot metering as all other lenses I have are M lenses. So that people know older lenses, non AF I believe, are only able to use center metering, at least with my k100...
Really? Spot metering seems to work for me with both "A" and "M" lenses, on both my K200D and my wife's K100D Super. Only matrix metering is unavailable on "M" lenses (it does work with "A" lenses). Is spot metering not even available as an option on the menu, or does it not appear to be working as expected?
08-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I have a K100D and almost NO settings are set to default.
All due respect and no offense intended whatsoever to anyone - but you are an exceptional case. There are a mere 5,374 (brilliantly intelligent) members of PentaxForums, only a subset of which shoot a K100/K200. And I suspect that we members combined make up a small minority of Pentax's customer base.
08-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Really? Spot metering seems to work for me with both "A" and "M" lenses, on both my K200D and my wife's K100D Super. Only matrix metering is unavailable on "M" lenses (it does work with "A" lenses). Is spot metering not even available as an option on the menu, or does it not appear to be working as expected?
sorry, I got confused. I meant to say that unless u have an AF lense, the 11 point focusing system is of no use to you cause all you have is the center focus point. My bad...

Last edited by dave sz; 08-15-2008 at 04:15 PM.
08-16-2008, 06:33 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I always use centre focus. I see auto focus as an aid to focussing. Focus, reframe, shoot. Spot meterinig is also often engaged. One of the reasons I chose the K10 as my digital slr is because everything does NOT have to be set up for auto everything operation. I find the auto everything is too often mess up everything mode and the subject has gone by the time you find this out. These auto features can help out, but Pentax has wisely made them easily over-ridden. The bottom line is the camera was designed by photographers, who know how to drive a manual camera to get the best out of it - but can be set up for grandma or grandpa to use at the church picnic without developing brain strain. (hmm... I'm about to be a grandpa again so no offence intended to the gramps of the forum)
03-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Just thought I'd do a late follow-up on this thread. After a year and a half with my K200D I have absolutely NO regrets about choosing it. I still love all the features that I thought I would when I made my purchase, especially Hyper Manual and "old school" lenses (of which I have accumulated more than a few). I tripped across a genuine Pentax m42 adapter for under $5 at a local camera store clearance and bought a kit of 6 Super Takumars to use with it.

Since I do some work-related photography for my employer, he generously purchased a Metz 58 AF-1 for me. I recently added a cheap off-camera extension for it. My wife bought me a nice Lowepro backpack as a gift.

This past weekend I added a K3 focusing screen from focusingscreens.com and it has improved an already great camera. I've got lenses covering the focal lengths between 10mm and 260mm (or a 35mm-effective 15mm to 390mm). I've got more macro options than you can shake a stick at (S-M-C Takumar Macro 50mm, Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 (MF), plus bellows & extension tubes). I've got a good selection of lowlight lenses from f1.4 (50mm and 55mm) to f2.5 (24mm, 90mm and 135mm).

I really need a second SD card (bigger than my current 4 GB) and another set or two of eneloops. My next major decision will be what tripod to get.

I'm working on a few odd projects, designing the perfect TtV rig and building a lightning trigger. Thinking about building a ring light.

Yes, Pentax has come out with newer cameras, notably the K7 and the K200D "replacement" the K-x. But I think it will be a while before I stop having fun with what I've got! (If I was choosing today, I'd go with the K-x, but I'm sad to see that it lost the weather/dust sealing that I got with the K200D.)
03-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Pretty much echoed why I bought mine in October 2008.

The only difference is that I was much younger (14), and I was never into photography originally.

Everything just seemed to work out in my case I was certainly content with my sisters little pathetic P&S for the occasional bug shots (document purposes only) until one day I found a large praying mantis eating a katydid. My neighbor was wondering what I was checking out so I brought the mantid to him. My friend who lived in the house came outside to check it out and than called his sisters boyfriend to come take a look. He so happened to have a pentax DSLR on him

Here are the pictures he took with the kit lens:

Granted they suck, and i know that now, but at the time I had never paid a single bit of attention towards photography. I was in utter shock comparing these two images vs. pictures I took with my sister's P&S and instantly fell in love.

The next time I found another mantis I invited him over again to take pictures, but this time I wanted to give it a shot. Those pictures died with my last laptop BUT I knew from then on i needed a DSLR. I went to several stores with my dad in search for a pentax body to try out but alas no one had any on hand :ugh:

It was a different story for canikon...
I knew right off the bat that I HATED the canon Rebel series. They felt extremely cheap and overall not right for ME. The 40d on the other hand was amazing (at the time), but out of my price range so i was stuck. Nikon was next and I honestly laughed when I held the d40. Build felt slightly better, but I swear it was meant for little girl hands Due to my limited budget Nikon was out. I tried several other models but just kept coming back to the pentax brand. I did a bit of research and decided on the Pentax K200d. I was buying a camera I had never seen or held before but I knew if it was anything like that pentax I tried earlier I would love it.

I stayed up every night sucking in all information regarding DSLR's while I waited for my new camera to arrive so when it did I actually knew a thing or two.

I skipped the manual and went straight into M mode and here I am a little over a year later

Sadly my K200d has had problems with its mode dial since a couple of days ago (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/91847-pentax-k200d...-problems.html) but I have progressed greatly IMHO because of that little camera.

I now shoot those same praying mantids today but with my own gear

etc. etc.
03-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks for your run-through, good to hear youíre still having fun with your camera

04-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #24

Same story except that I bought my K200D only last December 2009.

QuoteOriginally posted by Banitess Quote
Far from being abandoned, I bought my K200D brand new only last December 2009. It was on sale with two lens kit (18-55mm and 50-200mm). It was also the last one available, the store clerk said it was a left over from their last shipment and there wonít be anymore coming. I knew this model was almost two years old at that time and have been superseded by later models from Pentax. But after reviewing the features and comparing it similar and later models from Canon and Nikon (which were very pricey) I thought (and still think) itís a very good deal. I have no regrets. In fact Iím very happy with it.
FYI, where I am is Canikon country. Everybody's got one of the other.
04-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yup. The k200d is a great camera. Mine's serving me quite well. Now if only I could get more lenses.
04-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

yeatzee, i've been quite impressed with your mantis photos. Do you always shoot them in raw?
04-15-2010, 04:39 AM   #27

I also like your + points, but it has:
slow AF, not accurate flash system, and much noise (also ISO 100 @ 15 sec) . And light metering is not very accurate also.
04-15-2010, 05:32 AM   #28

Great post cheekygeek! My purchase of the K200 was along the same lines as yours. I spent a lot of time looking at the value for dollars spent and concluded that it was hard to go wrong with a Pentax. I started with a demo *istDL. When I had a little money saved up I sold the *istDL on Ebay and moved up to SR and more features with a K200D and I am very glad that I did. Once again, great post!
04-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #29
Forum Member

I've come across this post somewhat late in the day, and I don't have a K200, I've got a K10D and a K20D, but my buying decision was very much based on the same sort of thought processes you have outlined.

They are frankly brilliant value for money. Love 'em.
04-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
yeatzee, i've been quite impressed with your mantis photos. Do you always shoot them in raw?
Nope, all of those are edited Jpegs.

I just learned recently how to properly convert raw to jpeg using UFRAW so now I shoot RAW+. Before that I shot Jpeg exclusively.