Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #181
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
I'll test it
I think it is still at http://www.wirelessmayday.info/download/pentax_wifi_remote_beta.zip ( zip password is safox.X ).

RONC

03-05-2018, 10:40 PM   #182

My 1st attempt (0.9.5.0)

Thanks for working on the software - great promise - I downloaded 0.9.5.0 an hour ago, after downloading 7zip, I was able to install. (The default windows zip won't ask for password and just fails, obviously.) My K-1 firmware is 1.40.

I was able to run it on my windows 10 (32-bit) tablet (1 GB RAM); it roughly works. Here are my problems (before updating Windows 10):
1) camera tab: LiveView works for a few seconds and then freezes; refresh will enable it again for a few seconds and then it freezes. But what it shows is good - I like the size of the image on my tablet.
2) pictures tab: good you have SD1 and SD2, listing works after refresh, thumbnails available; download also "seems" to work according to the messages, however, the bigger downloaded images were not displayed on the display area (I assume it is supposed to be shown on the right)
3) once this app is run, it seems to mess with the Windows 10 tablet pointer (when pressed with finger on tablet) - other apps when pointed and pressed will no longer run (as before), instead they thought it means it becomes a request to be "pinned". I have to reboot to get the default pointer behavior for the other apps - which means I can't really use my other apps to view the downloaded pictures while running this app, or do most normal work.
4) the app can close only using the provided on/off button. It won't handle the Windows 10 requested close (which is the typical way apps are closed on my tablet). I don't mind this at all, but just report unexpected behavior.

I have a hunch it was my system - after letting Windows 10 update itself, all 4 problems disappeared (#4 could be user error - because the screen is small and my fingers big).

I also tried to run it on my windows 7 (64-bit) laptop (8 GB RAM): it works less well. Here are my problems:
5) camera tab: LiveView works continuously, but the size of the image is really small (height is like 5 rows of text)
6) pictures tab: wasn't able to list any files or show any thumbnails (I'm using the same K-1 for testing in both scenarios)

I'm an engineer and understands it takes a lot of efforts to handle all sorts of Windows devices and have them work well. I'm keeping these comments in case anyone else has similar problems and they may consider Windows update. I'll be willing to experiment and try out new releases.
For Windows 7, it uses dotnet 4.0.30319.34209. For Windows 10 tablet, it uses dotnet 4.0.xxx. Hope this helps.

My only other comment relating to my Windows 10 tablet operation is that the user interface is a little bit awkward for operating with my finger. Specifically, drop down selections when pressed at the exact point of the arrow will give the drop down, but when pressed on the rest of the field will give me the keyboard to enter the value which I don't know what is allowed (not very useful). Don't know if your user interface can change it to a solid drop down select instead of number entry field. Likewise, the pictures hierarchical breakdown click point is very close to the checkbox, and often I have to watch to make sure I don't accidentally check a box.

Thanks,
Gilbert

Last edited by gilbie2000; 03-05-2018 at 11:49 PM. Reason: after updating Windows 10, errors disappeared for the tablet
03-06-2018, 02:04 AM   #183
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Gilbert,

many thanks for your tests. I read that, with an updated Windows 10, the problems have solved themselves.

About Windows 7 problems I will build a VM with this system inside to try to reproduce them.

I will use also your advices about "tablet use" to improve the user interface!

Cheers
03-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #184

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Hi Gilbert,

many thanks for your tests. I read that, with an updated Windows 10, the problems have solved themselves.

About Windows 7 problems I will build a VM with this system inside to try to reproduce them.

I will use also your advices about "tablet use" to improve the user interface!

Cheers
Hi Andrea,
Yes, I'm now running Windows 10 Home 32-bit, version 1.0.14.0, with Updates for Windows 10 (KB4023057) version 2.13.0.0, using pen and touch "touch support with 10 touch points", and it's now running great on my 8" tablet.
My use-case is: rather than USB tethering, I'd like to have WiFi tethering, reducing setup time (often requiring downloading K-1 add-on to LightRoom on a studio computer which may be different for each shoot) and improving mobility (with no tether cables to get in the way), even at the cost of slightly longer transfer time. That use-case means I'd prefer a smaller tablet because it has less weight and is easier to handle for models, thus the 8" form factor.
With that use-case, one human factors suggestion: can we make use of the full surface of the tablet for examining the image? You have already provided the ability to take out the left-hand-side panel, as well as a magnifying function - they're all good. Is it thinkable to move the top row to the left instead? (This way we take advantage of the difference in 2:3 aspect ratio for camera image versus the typical 16:9 or more aspect ratio of tablet or laptop displays to allow the image to be bigger.) I suspect if we can fit the icon row currently at the top over to the left-hand-side, it'll even be better. Ditto for the tabs, although some of these suggestions may be tougher to implement as you are probably basing on existing user-interface framework that may have restrictions. (btw, which framework are you based on?) And if I design it, I'll put the current left-hand-side information on the bottom of the page. And lastly, maybe add a button to use full screen for the image display? Not all of these suggestions are needed, of course - whichever enabling the full use of the display surface would be good. btw, for tablet use, there is no mouse-hover, so texts aren't visible, and if we move the icons from the top to the left, there may be enough room to have text next to the icon as well. Just a thought...
Gilbert

03-12-2018, 05:06 AM   #185
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi gilbie2000,

can I have, also in PM, some screenshots of the app in your system?

Best Regards
03-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am unable to extract the files. Is anyone having the same problem?
03-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #187
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sureshgvv Quote
I am unable to extract the files. Is anyone having the same problem?
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I must have missed something in the instructions. I downloaded the latest version but it does not unzip w/o error messages. It does not ask for a password. Any suggestions? WIN 10 on I7 machine.
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
Are you using Windows for unzipping? I've had problems with the windows unzip and now use izarc or winzip.
Windows compression or decompression routines do not work with password compressed files!!!!!!
how do i password protect a compressed zip file - Microsoft Community
RONC
Information is all in this thread, you just have to read it.
So get WinRar and then you can enter the password for the protected zip-file even with Windows 10.
My Pentax wifi remote software - Page 12 - PentaxForums.com

03-29-2018, 02:21 PM   #188
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Marking thread to keep
04-02-2018, 03:45 AM   #189
Pentaxian

This thread should be sticked or add to an K-1 introduction
The Android app too:
Alternative choice for Ricoh Image Sync App - Pentax Photo Sync - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by angerdan; 04-02-2018 at 03:57 AM.
04-13-2018, 07:21 AM   #190
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Andrea, does this look familiar to you? libgphoto2/pslr_model.c at master · gphoto/libgphoto2 · GitHub
I'm asking since this is a piece of code used for an Astrophotography plugin, support for more Pentax cameras is desperately need.
If you have a library with all the specific camera commands, it could be usefull supporting the GPhoto2 ability to communicate with more Pentax cameras (not saying that you should do the coding, I could or someone else with sw knowledge).
04-30-2018, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #191
Veteran Member

Can this software work if the camera is connected to a Wifi router, and the PC is a desktop wired with Ethernet to the router and has no local Wifi interface ?

Or does it only work with a direct Wifi connection ?
05-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Can this software work if the camera is connected to a Wifi router, and the PC is a desktop wired with Ethernet to the router and has no local Wifi interface ?

I think a direct connection is required. I purchased a USB wifi dongle which I can plug into the desktop it works fine. I also plug it into my laptop and it works fine and I have the built-in wifi connected to the router. That really works well.
RONC
05-02-2018, 01:40 AM   #193
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote

The camera acts as a wifi hotspot that generates the wireless signal and as DHCP. Have you already managed to connect the camera to a wifi router?
05-02-2018, 04:05 AM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
The camera acts as a wifi hotspot that generates the wireless signal and as DHCP. Have you already managed to connect the camera to a wifi router?
No. I didn't have a wifi capable camera until yesterday - got my K1 II . I have not tried to use the Wifi on it yet.
Too bad it cannot act as a client. My Panasonic GX85 can. And it can also upload files directly to a Windows share. It is, however, very slow. Maybe not 11 Mbps slow, but no more than 50 Mbps for sure.
05-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #195
Pentaxian

Four SDK packets to be released

With the now released free SDK, there'll be more options in the future
Four SDKS to be released - PentaxForums.com