Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2017, 02:28 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Forum Member

My Pentax wifi remote software

Hi,

I'm a pentaxian, a k-1 proud owner and.... a software engineer. When I wanted to use my k-1 as film scanner, due to the powerful Pixel Shift function, I came into the problem of transfer pictures from camera to PC without use cables or move sd cards.
Then with my computer skills and this previous software as base (Pentax-K-S2-WiFiRemote download | SourceForge.net) I did this: http://www.wirelessmayday.info/download/pentax_wifi_remote_beta.zip ( zip password is safox.X )

This software can communicate with k-1, and other wifi enabled pentax cameras. Compared to the base software I added the support for multi-SD and for modes and filters, better camera status, focus click in LV, LV zoom & pan, LV HD resolution, optimized thumbnails generation and previews, performance improvements, many fixes and other stuffs.

Obviously It's in beta version and I have to add other functions based on Pentax API because Pentax Wifi Remote is a sort of Image Sync on PC.
Due to this there are these limitations:
Shooting from the camera is not possible when:
- Drive Mode is set to other than one frame
- ASTROTRACER function is set
K-1 only no LV if Composition Adjust is ON

I hope that you could find it useful.

Best Regards.

Last edited by Andrea K; 10-09-2017 at 12:22 AM. Reason: added new features
05-23-2017, 02:42 AM   #2

My software warns that the file may be dangerous to my computer.
05-23-2017, 04:29 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Perhaps because the software isn't signed and it's "hand made".
05-23-2017, 05:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's great! I'll give it a try. It's nice to see people trying to develop new things this way. Maybe Pentax will learn a thing or two and will be able to improve the speed and responsiveness of the Android app.

05-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this project open source? If so, a link to the project page and source would be helpful.

Steve
05-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

There's a Git page.
05-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Hi,

I'm a pentaxian, a k-1 proud ower and.... a software engineer. When I wanted to use my k-1 as film scanner, due to the powerful Pixel Shift function, I came into the problem of transfer pictures from camera to PC without use cables or move sd cards.
Then with my computer skills and this previous software as base (Pentax-K-S2-WiFiRemote download | SourceForge.net) I did this: http://www.wirelessmayday.info/download/pentax_wifi_remote_beta.zip ( zip password is safox.X )

This software can communicate with k-1, and other wifi enabled pentax cameras. Compared to the base software I added the support for multi-SD and for modes and filtes, better camera status, focus click in LV, optimized thumbnails generation and previews, many fixes and other stuffs. Obviously It's in beta version and I have to add other functions based on Pentax API because Pentax Wifi Remote is a sort of Image Sync on PC.

I hope that you could find it useful.

Best Regards.

p.s.: the Donate button is working
Andrea,

Looks pretty good. I appreciate time and effort. I hit the donate button!
Where is the bug file being kept?

RONC
05-24-2017, 12:37 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi,

sorry for late replies but the time zone is too different.

QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
Andrea,
Looks pretty good. I appreciate time and effort. I hit the donate button!
Where is the bug file being kept?
RONC
many thanks! I will transform it into time to improve the software. I think that you can use this thread to post bugs.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That's great! I'll give it a try. It's nice to see people trying to develop new things this way. Maybe Pentax will learn a thing or two and will be able to improve the speed and responsiveness of the Android app.
Good! I'm waiting for you to tell me some bugs.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is this project open source? If so, a link to the project page and source would be helpful.
Steve
Pentax Wifi Remote is free but not open source, for now, then I did not created a "project page" in any online platform. You think that I have to do this?

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There's a Git page.
What?

Kinds Regards!

05-24-2017, 03:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian

What what?

You can access the sources through Git:
Pentax-K-S2-WiFiRemote / Git / [bc45b1]
or download them zipped from the same page.
05-24-2017, 03:48 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
What what?

You can access the sources through Git:
Pentax-K-S2-WiFiRemote / Git / [bc45b1]
or download them zipped from the same page.
I used this as a base but now it's another software, compatible with k-1 but above all without "k-s2" in the name... ahahha
05-24-2017, 03:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I see, my bad.
Did you publish the sources somewhere?
05-24-2017, 04:08 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I see, my bad.
Did you publish the sources somewhere?
I would like to do at least a first round of external testing. Download it, try and write here requests or bugs
05-24-2017, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #13

Pentax addicted programmers? Does that mean hope for the PHDK?

If someone in here is also good at embedded, maybe you want to keep Shodans "PHDK" project going or fork and develop it any further?
once he posted on PF that he would want other people to join, and there where a lot of answers...
some guys named reh..something and ClassX or so talked a lot...
But it seems that was only big talk and nothing more.

Since no one helped Shodan, it seems he gave up on PHDK or stopped working on it ... Everyone with embedded skills and the guts to play around with a K-30, K-50 or alike should feel free to fork or do own work based on it, AFAIK.

GitHub - i-am-shodan/PHDK: Pentax Hacker Development Kit

last date touched seems to be somewhen in 2015....
i donated a whopping 100bucks or so to shodan back then... (so he could effort a K-30 dedicated to hacking purposes only)
i would do it again. But only if i see some progress first. -
nowadays there are enough K-30 bodies with dead aperture mechanisms that will not cost a fortune.

So everybody who feels the force and thinks he or she is willing and able.... Show us what you can do!

Maybe Pentaxians would invest in a Kickstarter campaign for that? Would be nice to see if its possible to up the framerate when you down the resolution of FF images on a K-1 body... (Because technically the shutter should be able to go much faster then 6fps or 6fps at least.)
... or further improve the Electronic-Shutter features.
I know, its not the same firmware as on the K-30 and the PHDK is based on, but its very closely related... so take your chances!
100 Bucks for the guy or gal who can trick the K-1 into a higher framerate...
or make it record video at 60p.
05-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just tried it on my K-70, all the settings, camera information and photos on the sd card appears, I'm also able to change settings but it does not react when I try to take a picture.
@Andrea, do you know if the 'shoot' command for the K-1 and K-S2 is identical from your sw re-engineering?
05-24-2017, 05:33 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
I used this as a base but now it's another software, compatible with k-1 but above all without "k-s2" in the name... ahahha
Just because you renamed the program doesn't necessarily give you rights to it. You should look at copyright information for the ks2 version to see what it grants to people wishing to carry it on. Some of the GIT stuff needs to be forked to another version on github. Check for sure about ownership. The previous programmer was very possessive when I communicated with him.

We don't need lawyers to get involved.

Bugs: after shooting a couple shots, I went to the photos tab and downloaded the files. Upon returning to the shot tab, the icons and other parts of the screen did refresh but left holes in the background. I had to reconnect to get the screen correct.

Requests: make it able to turn Pixel Shift on and off from the pc. Pentax Image Sync web page dialog to me is easier to use. Others will make noise about that.

RONC

---------- Post added 05-24-2017 at 05:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
I just tried it on my K-70, all the settings, camera information and photos on the sd card appears, I'm also able to change settings but it does not react when I try to take a picture.
@Andrea, do you know if the 'shoot' command for the K-1 and K-S2 is identical from your sw re-engineering?
The program only works for single shots like image sync. I had bracketing on and it wouldn't fire until I changed it. Needs a warning popup.
RONC