Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
Inactive Account

mass photography

I have a Pentax IstDL and I will need to take a large number of pictures in the future (thousands). I will have proper lighting and will not need to use the flash (so I use no flash mode). I have a USB cable, a universal power adapter (6.5v, positive) that appears to work (camera works fine without batteries now), a tripod and am expecting the arrival of a wired remote that appears to be compatible with this camera.

1. Can the camera handle such a load of pictures without wearing out?

2. Although I have memory cards, I would much rather not have to transfer by taking them out and reinserting them. That is why I use the USB cable. Unfortunately, not only can this camera not write pictures directly to a hard drive, it also can't even take pictures while plugged into a computer! Now, creating a macro that automatically moves pictures from a select drive to the HD is not a problem. However, I don't wish to constantly unplug the USB cable each time I go back to shooting. Is there a program that disables the USB port in software mode?

08-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Slon Quote
I have a Pentax IstDL and I will need to take a large number of pictures in the future (thousands). I will have proper lighting and will not need to use the flash (so I use no flash mode). I have a USB cable, a universal power adapter (6.5v, positive) that appears to work (camera works fine without batteries now), a tripod and am expecting the arrival of a wired remote that appears to be compatible with this camera.

1. Can the camera handle such a load of pictures without wearing out?

2. Although I have memory cards, I would much rather not have to transfer by taking them out and reinserting them. That is why I use the USB cable. Unfortunately, not only can this camera not write pictures directly to a hard drive, it also can't even take pictures while plugged into a computer! Now, creating a macro that automatically moves pictures from a select drive to the HD is not a problem. However, I don't wish to constantly unplug the USB cable each time I go back to shooting. Is there a program that disables the USB port in software mode?

hello, i regularly shoot lots of pictures and i can tell you that your camera is limited only by it's shutter andurance, for the *istD the value for that would be around 50.000 shots, for a brand new camera. also, i managed to allmost destroy a *istDL's shutter release button by pressing hard on it (it gave me the ideea that it would focus faster )

so this would be the only thing concerning you in this respect. however, a shutter replacement operation is generally considered inexpensive (100-200 $ ??).

regarding your camera's usb connection, i wonder, since a 2GB SD card (or CF for *istD) costs around and under 30 $, and a jpeg max quality takes 2-3 Mb, why should you bother ??

cheers.
08-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nicolaie Quote
hello, i regularly shoot lots of pictures and i can tell you that your camera is limited only by it's shutter andurance, for the *istD the value for that would be around 50.000 shots, for a brand new camera. also, i managed to allmost destroy a *istDL's shutter release button by pressing hard on it (it gave me the ideea that it would focus faster )

so this would be the only thing concerning you in this respect. however, a shutter replacement operation is generally considered inexpensive (100-200 $ ??).

regarding your camera's usb connection, i wonder, since a 2GB SD card (or CF for *istD) costs around and under 30 $, and a jpeg max quality takes 2-3 Mb, why should you bother ??

cheers.
I take RAW pictures because I need to photograph documents. They are slightly over 10MB each. I do have a 1GB SD card, though. The release button shouldn't be a problem since I will (hopefully) be using a remote.
08-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

there's a program called Remote Assist which does what you want, but only works with more recent cameras I think. I know I've got it to work with my K10D (just for fun, I have no need for it)

Nige.

08-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
there's a program called Remote Assist which does what you want, but only works with more recent cameras I think. I know I've got it to work with my K10D (just for fun, I have no need for it)

Nige.
I've successfully gotten V1 of the Remote Assistant software to work with my K100D Super. It's a little flaky, but it can work. It would be worth a shot to try it out with the OP's camera.
08-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Another option is to install pkremote on a linux system, afaik it works with older pentax SLRs and should do what you want.
08-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take RAW pictures because I need to photograph documents. They are slightly over 10MB each. I do have a 1GB SD card, though. The release button shouldn't be a problem since I will (hopefully) be using a remote.
Something else to check out if the istDL has the firmware downloaded so the it can use SD HC cards. It's a simple process I downloaded it to mine earlier this year.

08-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Could you tell me more about updating the firmware and the uses of the software you mentioned?
08-15-2008, 12:35 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have Ubuntu installed on a virtual machine. But how do I install the pkremote files that I downloaded?
08-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could you tell me more about updating the firmware and the uses of the software you mentioned?
As the istDL came from Pentax it could only use standard SD Cards. Pentax has since put a firmware update that allows the camera to use the SD HC Cards.
Here is the link Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates if you follow the instructions you can update pretty easy. As I remember I downloaded it to my pc, then to an sd card and then load the sd card in the camera. Good Luck
08-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Another option is to install pkremote on a linux system, afaik it works with older pentax SLRs and should do what you want.
I installed it on an openSUSE 11 VMWare machine. It starts up, but does not detect the camera, even though it does detect the "mass storage" that the camera acts as when it is normally plugged into a windows machine. I skipped a step which I will do, but so far it doesn't look good. Do you think that upgrading the firmware will help?
08-15-2008, 10:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Check out Inside Photography for more info on pkremote. Thanks to whoever it was who originally linked this too.
08-16-2008, 01:07 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Check out Inside Photography for more info on pkremote. Thanks to whoever it was who originally linked this too.
Already saw that. Only got up to step 5, which I could not do (not an experienced linux user). pkremote starts, but it does not detect the camera. I need someone to confirm/deny if IstDL even works with PC-controlled shooting.
08-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
there's a program called Remote Assist which does what you want, but only works with more recent cameras I think. I know I've got it to work with my K10D (just for fun, I have no need for it) Nige.
Remote Assistant 1 supports istD, Remote Assistant 3 supports K10D and newer. It is us K100D/K110D owners Pentax does not support. Version 1 usually works with my K100D, seldom with my K110D which has the newer firmware. Either camera reliably creates a drive on a PC when the USB is connected but as the OP wrote, you can't take pictures from the camera once the cable is connected.

Pictures from the computer are iffy with Remote Assistant and K1x0Ds. Watch out for having the camera set for JPG but R.A. set for RAW, twice I created hours worth of useless files.
11-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nicolaie Quote
....shutter andurance, for the *istD the value for that would be around 50.000 shots, for a brand new camera. also, i managed to allmost destroy a *istDL's shutter release button by pressing hard on it (it gave me the ideea that it would focus faster )....
cheers.

Where can I know the shutter andurance for k200d ?