Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wsteffey Quote
I could probably find a decent used K-3 for $850
If you're paying $850 for a used K-3 then you're getting screwed. I just sold my K-3 a few months ago in excellent condition for $450 on eBay.

05-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just check the nikon Df and D800. Df has faster continue shooting speed, d800 has higher resolution and almost wins everything else on paper. price: Df: $2430. D800: $1549.00 - $1995.00 (got from google).

A unique design deserves some extra $
05-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #18

The K-S2 is a real good entry body... it is a shame that its soo slow. but its good value for the price... honestly.
even NFC. (The sensor aint that good above ISO 6400)
But for high-iso you are better off with a K-70 which you will also find for "small" money if you search for a while.
Nonetheless the K-S2 is ideal for selfies and uploading stuff to social networks "on the road". i wouldnt even buy the KP if its "only" 799 Euro...

Because the KP really is an "I will use that Hype"-d!ck-move from ricoh business-people.
If it had a full-frame sensor I also wouldnt complain about the price... and step in line with all the others whitewashing Ricoh and the Pentax brand.

But its a 24MP APS-C cakepop, which is only one step ahead of a !!5years!! old entry model in terms of stills-fps (K-30:6fps|KP:7fps) - Video is the same.... Even if you also take away the fact that it has only 1 card slot(that still is a mere SD), its still a "buy-this-because-pentax-is-just-great-upgrade" and nothing more.

If you want to stay less offensive, tell yourself its a design experiment which it really seems to be at least.
I love the grip options and the vertical "front e-dial"! cheers, Pentax.
no sarcasm in here, i really love that idea - if that joke would be a real camera(FF), than i would buy it immediately and turn a grip out of some nice wood.

I also cant see how 5-axis stabilization and a bit noise reduction trickery(when i throw in my 2 cents, that special chip comes out as a dedicated dark-frame subtraction unit i guess...) can hover the price of a non-pro body into another galaxy.
They would have implemented that features anyway, but... ha!.. now you know they implemented them only for you special pentax people, so you can pay more for you favorite brands cameras in the future.

It would have been better when Ricoh would have invested in a parts-stock of real fast electronics, than they could have done that trick without an extra chip and would have profited to have a good board as a base to start for offering cameras with better framerates and faster AF.

I am pretty sure you will not see ONE staff member at ricoh-imaging with a gloriole hovering above his/her head... not one! keep that in mind fellows.
Thats the very reason i dont wear one either.

---------- Post added 05-27-17 at 01:28 PM ----------

I wanted to add:

Buy the K-70 with a 55-300 PLM WR lens... that combo kicks the K-1 with its shiny 150-450 from every sports event..
Keep in mind that the KP is only just a bit sharper then the K-70 at ISO 12.800.

This is the BEST BANG for the BUCK - PENTAX spirit. not so shiny, but honest and worth it.
(i wonder why they dont sell it as a kit a bit cheaper and promote it like hell - this combo(K-70 and PLM lens) could gain soo much ground for the brand, because it really rocks in terms of AF-speed AND image quality)

IMHO the KP is only for real photomaniacs and pentaxoholics.

Last edited by camyum; 05-27-2017 at 01:29 PM.
05-28-2017, 01:30 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pricing here in my part of the woods seem different. I can get a d7200 at about $50-$80 cheaper than a k-3II. I normally get my gears from a seller in Japan despite the fact that the cameras are made here in my country. I had some problems with the authorized dealer here. Service is really really really bad.

From my experience, Japan seem to have the same pricing as it is here in the Philippines. Pentax is more expensive than Nikon. I can't say anything about Canon. Now, I can't see the point where Pentax gives me more bang for a buck. I think the pricing here is absurd.

05-28-2017, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camyum Quote

IMHO the KP is only for real photomaniacs and pentaxoholics.
You do know that IMHO means "In my humble opinion", right?
05-28-2017, 09:36 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Pentax sells their camera for as much as we are willing to pay for it. Prices go down rapidly after a new camera is introuced. K3II is a bargain these days.
I hope Pentax spends the profit on lens design and not marketing. So far D-FA 50/85 have only arrived in the marktng department...
05-28-2017, 12:53 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
You do know that IMHO means "In my humble opinion", right?
100% correct. in contrast to some other pf-users, i dont think to have a monopoly on the truth.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 05-28-2017 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Sarcasm removed.
05-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I agree with clickclick in your case, wsteffey. I'm checking prices and features on B&H.

First of all, your little K-r is a very nice camera- still. I gave mine away to friends as their first DSLR after replacing it with a Pentax K-S2, which in my case is my extra-light party camera, since I have my pro-style K-5IIs and a KP is on the way. Yet the K-S2 is very good in its own right. What Pentax has available now is in another class above the K-r or the Canon T7i.

The KP is not overpriced, because it is certainly not an entry-level camera! It is a uniquely compact and versatile design of professional build quality, with metal construction- lightweight magnesium alloy, a quiet shutter, no "scene" modes, and an optionally available battery grip. There is absolutely no comparison with a Canon T7i. The two are in different design classes. Since you are addressing entry level as your replacement for your K-r, I don't think you have something like a KP in mind, but it would surely be a step up or three!

As to a Canon T7i and Pentax's current entry-level, again there is no comparison in quality. That Canon model is of the typical design for entry-level, whereas the current Pentax entry-level models are not. All the Pentax models now are built with weather sealing- WR. The Canon is not, nor is your K-r. All the newer Pentaxes have superior pro-style pentaprism viewfinders with 100% coverage (what you see is what you get) and 95x magnification, whereas the Canon has the dimmer, cheaper, pentamirror VF with just 95% coverage and 82x magnification, which your K-r also has, but maybe with better magnification. The Pentaxes now all have both thumb and finger 2-dial controls, while the Canon and your K-r do not. The Pentaxes all have the full, exclusive Pentax Hyper System, where you can instantly shift from Program Mode into Av or Tv modes by using those controls to immediately select the aperture or shutter speed you prefer, and the camera just does it. You return to P mode with a touch of the green button, which in Manual mode, you can use to get an instant center-meter exposure set. The Canon is probably a little better in movie mode, but otherwise- no comparison.

The K-70 would be a huge step up for you in build quality and in image quality, and with even lower noise than your K-r for shooting in dimmer lighting using higher ISO settings. The K-70 and KP are the champions. When you get yours, I always recommend setting sharpening to "fine" in the custom image menu. I highly recommend the K-70, which still offers "scene" modes, if you use them, but also much, much more!

I also recommend, if you can, get the kit deal with the DA 18-135mm lens. The K-70 body is a good buy at $600 for all that it is. With that lens at $870 is even better. For $270 more you also get a lens that by itself costs over $470, and is well worth that! If you are used to K-r with an old kit lens, you will find yourself in a whole new ballpark. That lens is very well built, has a very versatile zoom range, and delivers very good image quality. It also has WR, which in other brands, only their expensive pro lenses have. You will be surprised at how well made it is, yet compact, and also its fast, quiet, and sure AF performance.

If this is way over your budget, the K-S2 has the build quality advantages, but not with all the advanced performance features of the K70, yet it is available with a small 18-50 kit lens having WR and quiet AF, though not made near as well as the DA 18-135mm.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-28-2017 at 09:18 PM.
06-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Pricing here in my part of the woods seem different. I can get a d7200 at about $50-$80 cheaper than a k-3II. I normally get my gears from a seller in Japan despite the fact that the cameras are made here in my country. I had some problems with the authorized dealer here. Service is really really really bad.

From my experience, Japan seem to have the same pricing as it is here in the Philippines. Pentax is more expensive than Nikon. I can't say anything about Canon. Now, I can't see the point where Pentax gives me more bang for a buck. I think the pricing here is absurd.
You may be right and looking at the KP and considering the market share of the brand(3-4%??), pricing in PENTAXLAND has indeed arrived a "point of absurd".
I think that will go away after the hype around the (only lookin at photographic core specs)overrated K-1 has come to an end.

But looking at the K-70 and comparing it to a D7200 i see nearly the same specs.
I have to admit the D7200 has the better AUTOFOCUS indeed.
I also see the d7200 winning the shutter speed contest(1/8000 on the D7200 compared to 1/6000 on the K-70)

But the body of the K-70 is sealed much better against weather(compared to every NIKON) and dust and has a vari-angle LCD that is actually missing on the 7200.
Another thing is: In low-light the K-70 kicks the D7200 definetively out of the ring.

So one has to decide if he can get along with "a-bit-lame" AF and therefore wants to gain better low-light behaviour (and also more crisp looking pix lookin at the Pixelshift-Function) and a vari-angle display as well as the option to stay in the rain with his camera without any mini-raincoat for it.

or if he/she wants to have a bit better AF and a shutter capable of 1/8000,
but therefore has to carry extra rain-protection stuff, miss a vari-angle which comes in quite nice when doing street-photography or macros with nature... miss crisper lookin low-light shots, etc.

your decision... but yes... lookin at the core specs professional (or semi-pro) photographic gear should offer(fast AF, shutter, etc.) PENTAXs may be a bit overpriced at the time writin this post.