Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shakey Quote
You will always be chasing technology for the latest and greatest
Then again the K-3 II is basically a K-3 and not so much of an upgrade to the k-5 which is still excellent. I never saw a need to upgrade from the K-5 (except to the K-1, but money....).

05-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #17
mee
Veteran Member

Yet if you don't upgrade often, it makes sense to get the most up-to-date technology available. If you get a K-3 II today and 2-6 months from now the replacement is launched, you will be kicking yourself if your next upgrade is years down the road. Resist the itch.

On the other hand, there is no guarantee that the replacement is coming out anytime soon.. or this year really. It should but we don't know for sure. So you could be waiting a long time... Can you stand to wait? I think that is the reason for asking what your K-5 is not doing for you right now. Because, if it is satisfactory, then I'd wait..

Even if the replacement isn't that special (and I suspect the opposite) the K-3 II prices should come down... as well as the KP prices.. so you'll have options on the K mount crop bodies.
05-29-2017, 08:41 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I never saw a need to upgrade from the K-5 (except to the K-1, but money....).
Yep, me too. If Pentax had never brought out the K-1, or if it hadn't been as (relatively) inexpensive as it was, I'd have stayed with my K-5 till it died. (Part of me being able to step up to the K-1 is that I had already accumulated a fair amount of film-era glass, including a classic 28-50-135 Prime trinity in FA series, and was ready to shoot it straight out of the box.)

But the K-5 is all the APS-C DSLR I will ever need, except when it comes to serious extension-tube or bellows work, and then I reach for my *istDS because of the analogue TTL protocol making the camera completely independent of receiving aperture or range-to-target data. Thank God Pentax kept the 49mm thread for so many of its primes, because *istDS + TTL ringflash = God camera for macro.
05-30-2017, 01:56 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
i still have an istDL somewhere, I had no idea it could do something the K5 couldn't do

The reason I was curious about an upgrade was the somewhat better resolution, better autofocus and the gps/star tracer function

05-30-2017, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rojaba Quote
i still have an istDL somewhere, I had no idea it could do something the K5 couldn't do

The reason I was curious about an upgrade was the somewhat better resolution, better autofocus and the gps/star tracer function
The *istD, DS and DS2 can do the analogue TTL flash trick with the appropriate external flashes; however, please be advised that the DL cannot. Sorry to be a bearer of bad news there. It's still a great little camera, though, and makes a great first DSLR for a kid or early teen, sort of like pulling dad's old K1000 off the shelf instead of risking the brand new LX in junior's hands.

I am told the *istD can even do TTL flash with the onboard flash, which I think might be unique among DSLRs.
05-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

After the next model arrives, there will likely still be some K-3 or K-3II leftover stock around. Then you'll be in a better position to know how much worth it to go for the new model, or best to take a closeout K-3 bargain. I have done exactly that. I passed on the K-3 series after it came out and bought a closeout K-5 IIs several years ago and I am still delighted with it. Like your K-5, it is actually slightly better in higher ISO performance than the K-3. Image quality as others have said, is excellent- near as good as the K-3.

The forthcoming new model will probably be a significant step forward for low light, high-ISO capability and who knows what else, following the example of the KP and K-70. You might even decide on getting the new one for the improvements, yet still wait another year when the price will probably drop some.
05-31-2017, 10:02 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Here in the USA, the K-3II can be had with a grip for only $849 from B&H. It's a pretty good deal. Not too long ago it was on sale for $799 at B&H. That was a pretty good deal.

Performance wise, the K-3II will focus faster & better than the K-5. That's probably the only benefit over the K-5. It's not going to be a massive leap, but you will notice an improvement in the AF department.

I've compared RAW files at ISO 25600 against the K-50, K-70, & KP both in color & converting them to black & white. I've even scaled down the K-70, K-3II, & KP images to 4928x3264 to compare against my K-50. I can see that the K-3II performs a bit better than my K-50 as the ISO climbs. The K-70 also does well. The one that really blows them away is the KP. It's almost 1 stop better. Shooting at ISO 25600 on the KP is almost like shooting at ISO 12800 with the other 3. With that being said, I imagine that whatever camera replaces the K-3II will have some impressive image quality. The IQ is going to be as good as the KP's IQ or even better if they use the same sensor

I do hope that they improve the AF, particularly when it comes to AF.C. After reading the KP review on DPReview, they basically stated that the AF.C performance is still lacking compared to the already 2 year old Nikon D7200. Basically the D7200 still blows it away at tracking capability. Hopefully they add a slightly larger & faster buffer too. The KP's buffer is smaller & slower than the K-3II's buffer. Who know's what Pentax will do with that upcoming flagship, though. More than likely Pentax will compete with the Nikon D7200/D7500 & Canon 70D/80D. I don't think they'll be aiming for the Nikon D500 or Canon 7D Mark II cameras quite yet. Any leftover K-3II cameras that are still available when the replacement comes out will probably be blown out at an even lower price than it currently is. The replacement's price will probably be somewhere between the KP & K-1.

05-31-2017, 03:53 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's what I'm saying, practice patience and wait. The technology you'll be get over the k-3II will be much better particularly in image quality. Who knows, maybe the AF.C will have a huge improvement.
10-07-2017, 02:32 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
sorry to once again dig up this thread but I'm going on a big photography trip in two months and I'm really wondering about this. In pure terms of image quality and dynamic range: would an upgrade from the k5 to the k3-ii or even the k70, which receives glowing reviews, make sense? I don't care about preset gimmicks as i mostly shoot manual and raw and I don't shoot a lot of sports, mostly landscape, portraits etc. Only looking at image quality, what's the verdict?
10-07-2017, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

I have the K-5 and the K-5 IIs, which I bought at the end of their model run instead of the K-3. I got both new for even less than the introductory price of the K-3. One has the AA filter, the other is without. Upon examining test reviews, images posted, etc I decided for the two K-5s since from my standpoint differences in quality are minute, in fact the low-noise/high ISO performance of the K-5 came out slightly ahead. Last year I replaced my ultra-compact DSLR model, the K-r (which I gave to friends who had never handled a DSLR) with a new K-S2, at a great price- just over $500 USD with the ultra-compact kit lens. I am very happy with the upgrades and features it offers for my ultra-compact carrying DSLR. It provides fine IQ, excellent metering, very good AF, 2-dial operation, WR, and the wonderful tilt/swivel back screen.- a delightful camera. Then a few months ago, I bought a KP offered in an outstanding temporary deal. It is a wonderful camera with a unique design. Image quality is outstanding. Metering very accurate. AF is improved yet more. Very advanced features in a compact pro-style body. Low noise/high-ISO performance is really exceptional. It is like making your lenses into faster ones.

But I am keeping my K-5 bodies, because I still use them, especially the K-5 IIs with its improved AF. There are times when I prefer the K-5 body handling in certain circumstances, with the full set of on-body controls for making quick changes and adjustments. The IQ is still great, and holds up comparatively even after all these years and models, although somewhat surpassed by my KP. If I am particularly dealing with low light photography, and needing higher shutter speed via higher ISO, of course I reach for the KP.

All this is to say you still have a great camera and can afford to wait for a meaningful upgrade. The KP, as I have found, is that. I think it will be likewise with the K-3 II replacement.
10-13-2017, 05:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Then a few months ago, I bought a KP offered in an outstanding temporary deal. It is a wonderful camera with a unique design. Image quality is outstanding. Metering very accurate. AF is improved yet more.
On AF improvement, would you say beyond the K3, as far as you can tell?
10-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #27
Pentaxian

FWIW, having an original version K-5, a K-3 & a K-3 II, (all with the latest f/w) the latter has by far the best AF performance with my Sigma 100-300 F4 (2nd version) - but then my main interest is action shooting
PS: the image quality, when I (the body/lens combo?) get the focus correct, the IQ is damn good
PPS: the K-5 will be sold on fairly soon.