Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #1

Force Flash on the K100D

Hey Guys,
A Friend asked me to shoot the ceremony photos only for her wedding. (Her "pro" photog is also a groomsman, thus he can't take photos during the ceremony, just the formal before and after shots.
I have never shot a wedding, and really don't want to screw this up.
The ceremony is outdoors and will be at high noon. It's supposed to be sunny here on Saturday.
Now, to eliminate some of the shadows, I thought It would be best to "force flash" some of the shots, but I can't seem to get my K100d to do it. I have a Promaster 5200dx bounce flash, and even with it turned on and set to manual fire in the menus, the flash only fires when the camera has decided that the shot needs it.
Can any of you give me some help?
The User manual doesn't seem to have the answer I was looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

08-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If all else fails you can put a peice of black electrical tape over the sensor. The flash will think that it is night. You should take a few test shots to get the settings right sometime before the wedding..

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by fletcherkane Quote
Hey Guys,
A Friend asked me to shoot the ceremony photos only for her wedding. (Her "pro" photog is also a groomsman, thus he can't take photos during the ceremony, just the formal before and after shots.
I have never shot a wedding, and really don't want to screw this up.
The ceremony is outdoors and will be at high noon. It's supposed to be sunny here on Saturday.
Now, to eliminate some of the shadows, I thought It would be best to "force flash" some of the shots, but I can't seem to get my K100d to do it. I have a Promaster 5200dx bounce flash, and even with it turned on and set to manual fire in the menus, the flash only fires when the camera has decided that the shot needs it.
Can any of you give me some help?
The User manual doesn't seem to have the answer I was looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
08-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put the camera in Manual or Tv mode and set it at 1/180 or slower (max sync speed). If the camera is selecting faster than 180, it won't trigger the flash.
08-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dan,
Just a thought, that you'd have to work out ahead of time...... But.......

It might be a good time to try out the #1 photographers equipment for the shoot
That is saying that he trusts you enough...
I imagine that he would if they asked you for those very important shots.

Just use your K100D as a backup.
It could be fun for you, plus he'll know how everything is set up

Personally, if I was in his shoes it's what I'd want. I could always crop things the way I want, but I can't fix every exposure if they don't work out.

If it's your first wedding have fun, and please post the pic's. Whatever camera your using

08-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Put the camera in Manual or Tv mode and set it at 1/180 or slower (max sync speed). If the camera is selecting faster than 180, it won't trigger the flash.
Thanks all for your kind replies.
And Dave, that is the answer I was looking for. Inspecting the test shots today from the rehearsal, every one where the flash didn't fire was with the shutter speed above 1/180.
I knew the problem was simpler than I was making it.
Now for more testing tomorrow.

I will definitely post pics after the fact...(Assuming I don't totally screw this up...
)