Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #1

k20d blank monitor

Something screwy going on here. Very new (2 wks) to camera/lens (17-70sdm). When I first used it the monitor worked as expected. Put the camera aside for a few days and after turning on the antishake started knocking even though it is turned off. The monitor is also black. Tried off/on, setting the preview to each of the 3 settings. Same. If I am in live Preview and turn it on with the on/off/preview, I get the knocking and see the image, but its really shaking. Took a shot and it looks like I have the DTs. Switch on anti-shake and the knocking modulates to fast/slow as I move the camera. Able to view on monitor. Take a shot and it is sharp. Reset all custom settings to default. Everything is in green mode. Removed the battery. Same thing. Black monitor in capture and the anti-shake is on when it's off (weird but true). Otherwise in menu or playback the monitor is fine. Any ideas on this?

raindear

08-14-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you expecting the camera to display the image immediately after you have taken it without the necessity to press the [>] button? This is a menu control item.

The anti-shake knock might be the dust removal, another menu item you can change.
08-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raindear Quote
Something screwy going on here. Very new (2 wks) to camera/lens (17-70sdm). When I first used it the monitor worked as expected. Put the camera aside for a few days and after turning on the antishake started knocking even though it is turned off. The monitor is also black. Tried off/on, setting the preview to each of the 3 settings. Same. If I am in live Preview and turn it on with the on/off/preview, I get the knocking and see the image, but its really shaking. Took a shot and it looks like I have the DTs. Switch on anti-shake and the knocking modulates to fast/slow as I move the camera. Able to view on monitor. Take a shot and it is sharp. Reset all custom settings to default. Everything is in green mode. Removed the battery. Same thing. Black monitor in capture and the anti-shake is on when it's off (weird but true). Otherwise in menu or playback the monitor is fine. Any ideas on this?

raindear
Sounds like it's time to return it for a new one. Where did you get it?
08-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
Forum Member

. Black monitor in capture and the anti-shake is on when it's off (weird but true). Otherwise in menu or playback the monitor is fine. Any ideas on this?

raindear

Black monitor in capture is normal, this is a DSLR not a point and shoot camera, and in live view it's normal to see shake in the monitor, it's the sr system

08-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
B&H. I went thru the dust alert, dust removal and sensor cleaning. Dust removal is a quick shuddering sound; that is not the knocking I see and hear. DR is settable for run at startup, but DA is not. You do it or you don't. That mechanism/logic should not occur in live preview!

Sensor cleaning also makes the knocking noise and involves locking up the mirror; live preview also locks up the mirror so I am thinking there is some relationship.
08-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lequynorm Quote
Black monitor in capture is normal, this is a DSLR not a point and shoot camera, and in live view it's normal to see shake in the monitor, it's the sr system
Well, when I first tried the camera it displayed the lens view with no help on my part. All default settings. Live preview is the default and it must be switched on. I wasn't doing that. I also do not believe 'sr' (anti-shake?) would have the monitor image shuddering the way it does. I used AS and it is a different sound. Thx.
08-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
B&H. Thanks. I may have to deal with Px support. Any experience with them? Thx

08-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #8

I'd call B&H and tell them you want to return it. Bought many things from them, returned a few with NO problems!! They are a great vendor!
08-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, when I first tried the camera it displayed the lens view with no help on my part. All default settings. Live preview is the default and it must be switched on. I wasn't doing that. I also do not believe 'sr' (anti-shake?) would have the monitor image shuddering the way it does. I used AS and it is a different sound. Thx.
Live View isn't the default. If you turn the power button past the "ON" position, you'll get Live View. Turn it past "ON" again, and Live View is off.

Regardless, the knocking/shaking you hear should only happen briefly upon startup (if you have it enabled). I think your camera has issues.
09-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #10

Original Poster
Resolution: 1) I was wrong about seeing "live" with the monitor. Hangover from my Fuji F900. 2) The shaking problem when going into Live Preview was real. I ended up mailing the K20D to Pentax in CO and received it back in ~2 weeks. Less than the 20 days they promise. The Live View now works as expected. The problem I think was the mirror going up but never ending its cycle. So it just kept banging away trying to lock up. BTW Pentax service from start to finish was quite excellent. I set up the service with a chat and followed up that way. Promises were kept and my warrantee goes a year from the date of the service. Thanks to all who responded!!