Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Remove Actuating Lever on K and M Lenses ?

Has anyone done this so as you move the aperture ring the lens opens and closes. This is in AV mode

Since I use my 135 K f2.5 for concert stuff I could use this. I know where f2.5 is and a couple of stops is all I can stop down in bad light. What is nice is that I can see the shutter speed to stop action as I change Aperture and don't have to push any green button. I try to give myself a little DF, so this would be very helpful.

wll

02-18-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, never tried that before. I don't have a lens to try it on either, but that is some idea you've got.
02-18-2007, 10:50 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So you basically want to convert the lens into a "manual diaphragm" version? You could just shoot wide-open and in P mode, and I personally wouldn't go as far as to ruining the lens...

Remember that removal of the lever won't do you much- something to keep it locked in a single position would work better.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-18-2007, 11:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
So you basically want to convert the lens into a "manual diaphragm" version?
Can't this already be done by just using screwmount lenses?

02-19-2007, 02:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Aaarrggh!
PENTAX!

Give us back the stop-down coupler!!!

Do you see, what is happening?
People castrate their lenses by amputating the diaphragm actuator.
This is a shame!
02-19-2007, 03:09 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Can't this already be done by just using screwmount lenses?
As Mike suggests, why not just use a M42 screw-mount lens? The 58mm Helios-44 would be ideal.
02-19-2007, 03:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't actually own any M42 lenses, but I had considered picking one up for just such a use, one where the manual diaphragm would actually turn out to be a feature instead of a bug, so to speak.
02-19-2007, 07:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Why not just use manual mode? It will stop the lens down correctly.

Or as others suggested, use Av mode and shoot wide open

Don't damage the lens, it isn't worth it

02-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I agree with Lowell.

Also, try this with an M lens: Stop down the lens to maybe f8. Press the lens release button and slowly twist the lens counterclockwise. You'll see the aperture blades closing. When they stop closing, stop twisting. The lens should still be securely mounted (though you'll want to be careful) and you can now use Av mode.

Just don't forget that the lens is NOT locked in place.

I don't have any K lenses, don't know if this works.

Still, it's easiest to just shoot in M mode. It works perfectly fine.
02-19-2007, 08:25 AM   #10
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Why not just use manual mode? It will stop the lens down correctly.

Or as others suggested, use Av mode and shoot wide open

Don't damage the lens, it isn't worth it
In manual mode it reads wide open yet you must push the green button to take the metering the lens ring is on, other wise exposure will not be correct.

I'm calling my local Pentax repair station today to see if they can do it, if not their is a little camera repair station south of Los Angeles (Montebelo) who has done some very good work for me in the past and I will have him do it. If anybody can, he can and do a beautiful job.

I can also do it by notching out the lens but this would damage the resale value a lot, so thats out of the question.

How nice it would be to customize my 135 smc 2.5 K to read in AV mode. I would only use it for concert situations and with a flick of the wrist I see my shutter speed, and by feel I know what f stop I'm at f2.5-4-5.6 and 1/2 stops.

I will report back.

wll
02-19-2007, 08:26 AM   #11
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Aaarrggh!
PENTAX!

This is a shame!
Yes, that would solve the problem :-)

wll
02-19-2007, 09:19 AM   #12

Proposed non-destructive mod

I haven't tried this, but it should work, as it's the same as not fully mounting the lens, but niw it will be stable Determine how far you can twist the bayonet mount before the aperture lever hits the actuator in the camers. Then drill a new lens lock hole in the appropriate spot. The lens should still work in conventional mode too. Just hold the locking button down and allow it to rotate to the factory hole.

The picture is a simulation. Put the rear and front lens caps on your lens before you drill.

Disclaimer. If some unforeseen event occurs, it's your responsibility. This is just a thought experiment.
Attached Images

02-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #13
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just Contacted My Camera Repare Guy ;-)

Yes , he can remove the actuating arm on my M and K lenses.

This makes the K 135 f2.5 and my M 135 f3.5 very useful, and keeps the lens in original condition.

I'll let you guys know how they come out, but will do it in a couple of weeks when I'm back in town for a while.

wll
02-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Aaarrggh!
PENTAX!

This is a shame!
And please bring back the aperture ring on modern lenses...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
And please bring back the aperture ring on modern lenses...
Unfortunately, this is not going to happen. Apart from increase in cost in both lens and camera body manufacturing, I think they have received enough support calls for people moving the aperture ring off the "A" position and being puzzled by the resultant camera behavior.