Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2017, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #1

K500

Hi, first post!

I am thinking of buying a K500 primarily because I love adaptall lenses and I fancy trying them with in camera image stabilisation. I currently use a canon 600d which I'm happy enough with in general but would be happy to jump to Pentax if there was a great benefit when using these old Tamrons. My question is, just how good is the image stabilisation on the K500? I have over 35 Adaptalls and I'm looking to see if there is a better camera to use them on.
Any other suggestions or advice most welcome.

Cheers

Steve.

06-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I own and use a K-500 a lot , so I think I can answer most of the questions you may have about it.

The IS will give a you a 2-3 stops advantage. I would say 2-stops is easily achieved and a safe bet, but 3- stops will still give you some blurry pictures. So it's better to take some additional shots if you're pushing the IS to its limits.
06-02-2017, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi and welcome.

It's always lovely to see new Pentax shooters. However, you have to consider carefully exactly what you want out of your new camera and what you are getting. The K-500 is a four year old design, discontinued for three years but still part of a broadly very, VERY capable sub-family of Pentax DSLRs that on the whole have aged well. If you have found a particular K-500 at a rock-bottom bargain price and are happy to say goodbye to the money just to see what IBIS (in-body image stabilisation) is like, by all means go right ahead - I don't think you'll be disappointed in the basic camera. I own the original flagship camera for this sub-family (the K-5), and although that has a few little things the K-500 does not, I think the similarities are probably bigger than the differences.

If however you are giving serious thought to fully switching systems, that's a different matter. Then I would suggest that you consider spending extra and going for a current production Pentax body - and before you jump, consider what else you feel is lacking with your current camera and lens lineup (plus any dedicated flashes etc). You certainly sound like you have enough lenses to go nuts forever once you have the appropriate Pentax Adaptall base(s)!!

Bear in mind also that in-camera stabilisation (Pentax specifically and the technology generally) is sometimes NOT at its best when panning rapidly, and is useless to the point of detriment when your camera is on a good tripod. In addition, for best results it relies on knowing what the focal length is, and for older lenses or 3rd-party lenses not designed for Pentax DSLRs, you have to set this yourself. For prime lenses this is no issue; for zoom lenses, you have to decide on a compromise. If this covers a lot of your shooting, you may not be picking up that much of an advantage by getting into Pentax.

OTOH if you find yourself frequently shooting manual prime lenses - particularly those in the wide to mid telephoto range - in poor light or at low shutter speeds because of narrow apertures, it shines.

Finally, IBIS is not a miracle worker. To use the classical teaching example of the 50mm lens that you shouldn't shoot slower than 1/60, you will get away with 1/30 and you will most probably get away with 1/15, but 1/8 is pushing it if razor sharpness is your goal. Things get trickier as the lens gets longer and heavier - a huge 200mm brass-and-glass affair is IMO going to require higher shutter speeds than an aluminium and polycarbonate lens of the same focal length, and photographer experience & posture also play a large role, but I'd say as a general rule it will reliably buy you two stops of shutter speed below what received wisdom says you should use, and you MAY find bonus results beyond that.
06-02-2017, 08:18 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I own/use several Adaptall-2 lenses, on both the K-50 and the K-3; the K-50 is essentially the weather-proofed version of the K-500 and it shines....

my only concern with buying a K-500 (or any of the older K-series below the K-5/K-3 family) is the well-documented issue with aperture solenoid failure....

06-02-2017, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

The K-500 is basically a stripped down K-50. I'd skip it, unless you can get it dirt cheap. And when I say dirt cheap, I'm referring to no more than $150 USA for a brand spanking new K-500. I wouldn't pay more than $75 for a used one either.

Your best bet would be a current Pentax body like a K-70. The K-S2 would be the minimum that I'd recommend, but for only about $100 more, the K-70 is almost leaps & bounds better.
06-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
And when I say dirt cheap, I'm referring to no more than $150 USA for a brand spanking new K-500. I wouldn't pay more than $75 for a used one either.
Without irony or sarcasm - thank you for putting a figure on my recommendation for "rock-bottom bargain basement".
06-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

^ Hahaha! Well, to even things out, I have a K-50 & I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a new K-50 or more than $150 for a used K-50.

06-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If putting money forward for in-camera SR, I agree with others in saying why not go for a model that will present other meaningful upgrades over what you have as well? You do not sound like you are especially into video use. The Pentax line is more oriented for still photography, so Canon, Nikon, and others have models that can do better in that department, although Pentax can give a usably decent video clip.

Otherwise, the current Pentax line has much more advanced features in the most affordable class. All have weather sealing (WR), a premium pro-style glass pentaprism viewfinder with 100% field of view and 95x magnification, 2-dial thumb and finger controls, and much more. The basic kit lenses also come with WR. With other brands, such features are only found in higher-end models in the $1,000 range for a body, and around that for a lens. Your Canon, for instance, only has a dimmer pentamirror VF with around 95% coverage and 82x magnification, and the latest Canon affordable models are likewise.

I'd say don't write off the Pentax K-S2 for a low-priced deal, especially if you shoot mostly JPEG images. The RAW is also very good, but the advancements for the K-70 are mainly 14 bit RAW for better color gradations instead of the more common 12 bit, better low-noise performance especially over ISO 3200, and the new Pixel Shift technology for images shot with tripod.

The Pentax deals now available for what you are getting are terrific. I just checked prices at B&H, which are probably similar to Amazon and elsewhere. Prices vary according to color. Lately, the base price for a black K-S2 body has been around $500. I see a kit available for $536 with the unique tiny DA-L 18-50mm lens. For only $36 you also get a lens that separately sells for around $300! The lens also has WR, and when retracted for storage, which being a bit fiddly takes a little getting used to, it is the smallest zoom lens for APS-C in the industry! It has fast, quiet, and sure AF performance, and very good image quality, especially if stopped down a click.

The K-70 does not yet come with that lens in a kit deal. Its base body price for black is about $600. For $270 more you can get it with the very useful DA 18-135mm kit, a lens which separately sells for over $470 and worth it! The lens is exceptionally well-built, has WR, compact for its zoom range, fast and sure quiet AF, and very good image quality. Getting back to the K-S2, if you don't mind one having an orange bottom plate, there's a kit available with the DA 18-135mm for only $699, which means you're getting a $475 lens for $199!

I always recommend, upon getting your camera be sure to set the sharpness to "fine" in the custom menu. For the 20MP K-S2, I also increase sharpness by +1 over default. With the 24MP models, so far I leave sharpness degree at default but still apply the "fine" setting. And do check back regarding the exclusive Pentax Hyper System, where when shooting in Program Mode and you desire a different aperture or shutter speed, you can just select it using the thumb or finger dial and the camera just does it (!) converting to Av or Tv operation until you hit the green button to return to full P mode, or turn off the camera. In (Hyper) Manual mode, the green button will set instant exposure, great for spot metering around a scene quickly.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-02-2017 at 01:59 PM.
06-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #9

Original Poster
Wow, thanks for the in depth replies guys, I'm checking all these suggestions out and slowly getting my head around the Pentax range. It is primarily an in camera image stabilising system I'm on the lookout for, and as simple a camera as possible. I just love these old lenses and learning to get the best out of them is very addictive. I think I'll be off to Jessops for a play.
Thanks
Steve.
06-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steve44 Quote
I think I'll be off to Jessops for a play.
When buying something as expensive as a DSLR, this is the best thing you can do for yourself. I had for example been considering the full-frame flagship K-1 for a year but refused to buy it until I had played with it in-store. It took me two such handlings to convince me that the size and weight were fine, but then I was sold, and now I am happy. While I'm not suggesting you go straight for the big guns, this anecdote was presented to indicate that first impressions are not always (and perhaps should not be) the ones that last, and if you're handling multiple cameras with a view to deciding between them, you should go back at least once and handle one or more of them again.
06-04-2017, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Besides all the excellent and unique features offered in the current Pentax DSLR line, at the same time they also offer excellent ergonomics and ease of use. I mean they are extra quick and easy to use.

Some other unique features- both the K-S2 and K-70 have the fully-articulating screen, and if it is turned completely around so you can point the camera at yourself, the top wifi button is positioned to become a shutter release for selfies, where you can include yourself in a photo with some friends by just holding the camera at arms length and using a WA lens! This without having to use the self-timer and tripod. If you get the optional GPS unit accessory, you can do astro photography where the built-in SR will move to correct for the earth's movement so stars don't turn into streaks or dashes. You really do get a lot for your money in many respects.
06-05-2017, 07:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Besides all the excellent and unique features offered in the current Pentax DSLR line, at the same time they also offer excellent ergonomics and ease of use. I mean they are extra quick and easy to use.

Some other unique features- both the K-S2 and K-70 have the fully-articulating screen, and if it is turned completely around so you can point the camera at yourself, the top wifi button is positioned to become a shutter release for selfies, where you can include yourself in a photo with some friends by just holding the camera at arms length and using a WA lens! This without having to use the self-timer and tripod. If you get the optional GPS unit accessory, you can do astro photography where the built-in SR will move to correct for the earth's movement so stars don't turn into streaks or dashes. You really do get a lot for your money in many respects.
You mean like this, LOL
Grandchild number 2's graduation selfie with me, K-S2 and kit lens at 18mm

Last edited by seagas; 06-05-2017 at 07:12 PM.