Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
B&H Photo Purchase internal serial number not the same as on Pentax K-1 box

This is a new one. Just got a new Pentax K-1 from B&H Photo. When I ran the shutter count image to insure that it was the first photo, I found out something interesting. The shutter count was confirmed the first photo, but the internal serial number was not the same as the one on the box and on my B&H Invoice. The camera data shows the internal number to be 202XXX and the one on the box and invoice show 294XXX Is this a problem? How could this happen?

06-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the number on the camera?
06-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #3

I would think it would be a problem if the invoice shows a different serial number than on the camera body. You need to produce the invoice for Warranty work for proof of date of purchase.
06-02-2017, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kraigg007 Quote
How could this happen?
  • The "internal" serial number in the makernotes of the EXIF is never the same as that affixed to the camera.
  • The serial number in the makernotes of EXIF should agree with that affixed to the camera
  • The number affixed to the camera is only the first half of the sticker on the box

I hope this helps

Steve

06-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What is the number on the camera?
The first series of numbers are the correct ones on the body, but the last series of numbers on the serial number that are internal numbers are not the ones on the EXIF data info.

Thanks all for the info.
06-02-2017, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The "internal" serial number in the makernotes of the EXIF is never the same as that affixed to the camera.
It is important to note that the label "Internal serial number" is not actually found in the makernotes. The label is a friendly name for the ExifTool developers' best guess as to the purpose of the data at a specific location.* InternalSerialNumber (the assigned tag name) is one of four "tags" that have data related to the camera's manufacture. The other three are PentaxModelID, ManufactureDate, and ProductionCode (REF). With the exception of PentaxModelID, any of the remaining three may change when the camera is serviced. As a result, those three fields should NOT be used as evidence of camera history.

As noted above, InternalSerialNumber is not the secret "real" serial number. It is related to manufacture, but the serial number of record is, and remains, the serial number for the body. A value different from the actual serial number is NOT evidence of tampering, remanufacture, or refurbished goods.

Steve

* Many tools, including this forum's software, use ExifTool's code. Other tools may assign different labels to the same data in the makernotes section, though the ExifTool's designation is usually deemed authoritative.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-02-2017 at 07:37 PM.
06-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #7

Original Poster
It is important to note that the label "internal serial number" is not actually found in the makernotes. The label is the ExifTool developers' best guess as to the purpose of the data at a specific location.* InternalSerialNumber is one of four "tags" that have data related to the camera's manufacture. The other three are PentaxModelID, ManufactureDate, and ProductionCode (REF). With the exception of PentaxModelID, any of the remaining three may change when the camera is serviced. As a result, those three fields should NOT be used as evidence of camera history.

As noted above, InternalSerialNumber is not the secret "real" serial number. It is related to manufacture, but the serial number of record is an remains the serial number for the body. A value different from the actual serial number is NOT evidence of tampering, remanufacture, or refurbished goods.

Steve

* Many tools, including this forum's software, use ExifTool's code. Other tools may assign different labels to the same data in the makernotes section.
Thanks! Everyones comments were very helpful.

06-03-2017, 03:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The "internal" serial number in the makernotes of the EXIF is never the same as that affixed to the camera.
It is the same on my K-5, but not on my K10d
06-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It is the same on my K-5, but not on my K10d
Interesting! Had your K-5 been serviced? My comment above was based on the reports in numerous threads on this subject over the years. I can't remember ever reading of the numbers being the same until your comment. I will add that I was surprised yesterday when I researched the tag in the ExifTool documentation that the value may change as a result of being serviced. One learns something new every day!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-03-2017 at 01:31 PM.
06-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Yeah the shutter died. So it got repaired. I Checked a file from before. It had a different serial and a different manufacture date.
06-05-2017, 12:44 PM   #11
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by kraigg007 Quote
...the internal serial number was not the same as the one on the box and on my B&H Invoice.
It looks like others here have satisfactorily explained this. If you need further assistance, feel free to email me.